One-step sparring

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you do for onestep sparring?

the ones my master teaches are mostly defense against a punch. the higher ones are defense against multiple punches and defense again certain kicks.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't do them in class at full speed as much as I like, but a lot of times when I'm working on an offensive or defensive tactic, I'll work with my kids and we'll work out the blocking and spacing and ways to defend and ways to attack; kinda impromptu.

Howevre, because of this, my son said once "I like sparring you because I know what you're thinking and what you're going to do"

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
In the WTA, we don't have "pre-set" one-steps (unless an instructor creates some for his class specificly), but we do have six pre-set three-steps (where the attacker throws three punches before the defender counter-attacks). For the first one, the defender counter-attacks with an upper target punch. The second one is a counter-attack with a knifehand (palm-up) to the neck. In the third, the counter-attack begins by blocking with a cross-block, followed by a kick to the groin and a knifehand to the neck. In the fourth, you evade the third punch by jumping backwards and then countering with a sidekick. For the fifth, you jump to the side and counter with a roundhouse kick. And the last one is an odd combination that is better seen than described.

The first three three-steps are learned at white belt, and the second three at yellow belt. After that, a student gets to start with "creative" three-steps, in which the response is up to them. After they get used to improvising, they move on to one-steps, which are always done creatively (at least in my experience anyways).

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i dont mind them they are rather boring cus you have set things to do (atleast at my school) but this time around i get to start learning kicking one steps so hopefully that will make them more fun :D

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Like Zepp, we do not use pre set combinations, and we start with one steps, then move on to 3 steps. We do have a default, the attacker punches to the head unless otherwise instructed. As a general rule all students do one-step sparring, starting with one basic block and counter, being able to perform those actions on left and right sides, focusing on keeping up their guard and retreating (get in - get out), then progressing to more advanced techniques. At times, as directed by the instructor, the attacker will run thru different attacks from the basic high punch and employ other basic strikes and kicks. The defender may be directed to employ a particular block or counter, or any with in a series, ie counter with foot, or elbow, or knee techniques, though not any specific one.

From there, we generally move on to 2 counter-strikes, then takedowns, and sometimes continue to the submission phase. After that, we move on to 3 steps in much the same way. We do not always follow this particular sequence, but may instead do part only. It is very dynamic and tries to avoid predictable static defenses and instead inspires dynamic ones.

T

Teh Tot

In my school, One-step get really fun once you hit 2nd gup. you tell the person what to do and they perform the tecnique, you block and perform 3 or more counter attacks, only one being a hand tecnique and all being strikes that hit vital areas.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our school we used both one and three step sparring. I really didn't care for one step but three was a little more realistic. None were pre set movements and the tests were based on your thinking abilities not that you could memerize pre arranged techniques.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A question if I may. I'm assuming that the one steps and the 3 steps are self defense training drills. If that is the case, why would a 3 step drill (block/counter, switch - block/counter and switch - block/counter) be more realistic than a one step. Why would you wish to elongate a confrontation by focusing on a 3 pete technique setting?

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have three steps for white belt, then move onto one-steps. For green belt (my current belt) we have 15 pre-assigned ones, all from punches left and right. Some nights we are required to just react, but for tests we need to know at least the ones assigned to our belt level plus the ones below. Highbelts defend against kicks as well

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I've seen them taught, they're largely a waste of time.

1.) People don't attack with lunge punches prefaced with low blocks.

2.) Some of the techniques are impractical. "Blocking" a lunge punch with an inside crescent kick is ridiculous.

3.) Often the "feeder," the one throwing the lunge punch, throws it to miss and then does a perfect lockout. This then allows the defender to do some fairly unrealistic responses that might look impressive.

If you're going to do a "pitch and catch" drill, vary the attacks and have the feeder replicate what one might actually encounter in a fight. Every art does a form of "pitch and catch." However; this particular version of it often drills some very bad habits.

Regards,

Steve

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How we do one-step sparring is like this:

1 - Partners stand facing each other, outside of punch range

2 - One partner attacks, usually with a punch. The other partner is standing with their hands up in the 'Hey buddy, keep it together' pose.

3 - The defending partner then reacts.

As Steve points out, it is important to train with reality in mind. Use control, but aim like its a real punch. And it's important to partner experienced people with the inexperienced, so that when the inexperienced people do something they think will work, their partner can show them exactly why it wont work.

I find them to be a good drill (as long as one is working with a good partner) for learning to anticipate a punch, learning how to deal with force, learning how to get off the line of attack, and learning what counters will work for you and what wont. Meeting force with force can work for me, because I'm a big guy who wieghs over 200 pounds. But it certainly wont work for the 110 pound mother of two that I'm trying to teach.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do both 3 step and 1 step sparring.

Three steps are for beginners. These are preset as are the first few that the intermediate guep ranks perform. After that, it is creative, though I do like to see folks using sequences from their poomsae.

Miles

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
A question if I may. I'm assuming that the one steps and the 3 steps are self defense training drills. If that is the case, why would a 3 step drill (block/counter, switch - block/counter and switch - block/counter) be more realistic than a one step. Why would you wish to elongate a confrontation by focusing on a 3 pete technique setting?
How realistic is: I block your punch and strike you once? The attacker goes down after the one and only strike? :idunno:

How much more realistic is: Block, punch, elbow break (or hyperextension) <various types from the outside, to an arm lock.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How realistic is: I block your punch and strike you once? The attacker goes down after the one and only strike? :idunno:

How much more realistic is: Block, punch, elbow break (or hyperextension) <various types from the outside, to an arm lock.

Perhaps were talking different techniques here. The 3 step drills that I have seen were the same basic technique done 3 times from opposite sides. Example; Block and punch from right side then step and do it from the left side and then step and do it again from the right side. I find no real outstanding value for this.

The basic one step as you pointed out is nothing more than a starting point for training - the one block / one punch. You build from there as you become more adept in your training. One should know how to flow from one technique to the other without wasting time and movements. Now the second example you give - Block, punch, elbow break to an arm lock, is done from the one step aspect, just multiple techniques as I have already alluded to.

OP
A

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our three steps are actually sparring combos and there is no set partern. My master will have us practice different ones in class, but encourages us to come up with our own.

Our first couple of one steps are block/counter. After that they start to get more complicated.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
doc clean said:
Our three steps are actually sparring combos and there is no set partern. My master will have us practice different ones in class, but encourages us to come up with our own.

Our first couple of one steps are block/counter. After that they start to get more complicated.
That's what I'm talking about.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have only one steps (no three steps). We defend against punches, but higher ranks are told to throw the punch for "real". No "off-to-the-side" punches (ok for beginners, though, till they get better at control). We are supposed to "hit' our partner if they miss the block and counter. Not hard, but just enough to say "Hey, you're too slow." LOL I got punched in the gut a few times for being slow.

We do have another set called combat tactics. Those are more realistic than the one steps. We defend against punches, kicks, chokes, grabs, ect. Higher ranks do them at full speed, and just short of hurting each other (eventhough it can hurt at times LOL). This set has counters with elbows, knees, locks, throws, ect. I like these a lot :uhyeah:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
We do have another set called combat tactics. Those are more realistic than the one steps. We defend against punches, kicks, chokes, grabs, ect. Higher ranks do them at full speed, and just short of hurting each other (eventhough it can hurt at times LOL). This set has counters with elbows, knees, locks, throws, ect. I like these a lot :uhyeah:
We break it up into one step (which means the attacker starts one step away from you, not that there is only one step in the movement or counter) and self defense.

One step is basically just defending against a punch. It's as close a replica for the situation where you've identified your would-be attacker, and you are facing him with your hands up in a non aggressive pose as we can get.

Self defense covers anything else, like grabs and chokes, spear tackles, etc.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
doc clean said:
Thanks. That defination makes more sense then what I assumed one step meant.
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out that one-step might mean different things for different people.