One-step sparring

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
How realistic is: I block your punch and strike you once? The attacker goes down after the one and only strike? :idunno:
There is a very real value to this, legality. Here the law only allows one counter. The trick is to decide are you in fear for your life and use full SD mode, or is this a more tricky situation where continued strike could be a liability. Like all techniques, its there, use it as is best for you.

We have been informed of real events where these issues came into play, thus we were introduced to the concept - lawyers strike again! Another side is to argue one trains with multiple strikes as one counter. I do not know of many who would go down in one strike!!:viking3:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DuneViking said:
I do not know of many who would go down in one strike!!:viking3:
If you're smaller in stature like myself, no one will go down with one strike. I don't have enough mass behind me to drop someone with one punch/strike. Even though I might be strong for my size it isn't enough being about 160 instead of 220+. Also being around 5'7" I don't have height on many people either.
Now if I were BigNick's size :) that might be a different story. Sorry, Nick but I had to include you especially when you get all of the genetics. :uhyeah:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
To play devil's advocate here, partially from lack of experience, but why would one shot not possibly drop a person?

I've been hit in the solar plexus by my sobomnim, and not at his full power and I was wearing a hogu. It winded me and I couldn't function for a bit. If he had hit my full power without protection, I would definately be down, more worried about breathing than anything else.

Same with kicks. I mean, if a kick can split or shatter boards as we do in breaking (well not 'we', I don't do breaking yet) what's that impact on a rib section? A strong roundhouse to the side is going to probably break some ribs and/or collapse a lung; at least have the aggressor more worried about breathing/surviving than being ggressive

There's the pain/shock involved and although adrenaline and alchohol and drugs can fight against that, there's also the loss of body functionality; a broken leg or collapsed lung just don't work, period

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally boards are not moving and fighting back as hard or harder than you do :idunno: . I agree that I've been hit a several times extremely hard during sparring. If you want to throw in aggression, adrenaline, a dark place, slippery surface, make your enviornment what you will. What's your chances of landing that 1 perfect shot?
I think that 1 step (at least by my definition) after the first belt or 2 is a waste of time.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some boards are moving. ;) We don't do one steps or three steps either. I did them for two belts and really didn't get much out of that. I recently did dig out an old curriculum copy and practiced on his one-steps. Nyeh, probably good for a beginner but I think they could be improved. So I added different kicks and punches with defenses and taught that for a few classes. My master picked up on my posted agenda for my class and is doing more sparring combinations now which is really what I was doing. But knee, elbow strikes,joint locks, sweeps, are in the self-defense part.TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:idunno:
I guess technically speaking we can say that speed breaks are allowed in competition and are somewhat rarely practiced in the studio. I don't personally know many people who perform this so again technically speaking I guess boards are dropped for the speed breaks.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
To play devil's advocate here, partially from lack of experience, but why would one shot not possibly drop a person?
I dont know if you are a fan of any kind of combat sport, but watching boxing, K-1, UFC and Pride, it quickly becomes obvious that stopping someone with one hit is much harder than some people would think. These a big, strong guys trying their darndest to put their opponent down, and very rarely do they get a single incapacitating strike.

Now obviously RBSD is going to be more than slightly different, I'm just highlighting an example where people are going at it full power, and even the legal moves (strikes to the head and body) which generate a lot of power are not producing incapacitating results.

Flynn_

White Belt
Reaction score
If you're going to do a "pitch and catch" drill, vary the attacks and have the feeder replicate what one might actually encounter in a fight. Every art does a form of "pitch and catch." However; this particular version of it often drills some very bad habits.

Regards,

Steve
Would chambering the fist when blocking and striking be one of them? Are there any others to look out for?

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As I've seen them taught, they're largely a waste of time.

1.) People don't attack with lunge punches prefaced with low blocks.

2.) Some of the techniques are impractical. "Blocking" a lunge punch with an inside crescent kick is ridiculous.

3.) Often the "feeder," the one throwing the lunge punch, throws it to miss and then does a perfect lockout. This then allows the defender to do some fairly unrealistic responses that might look impressive.

If you're going to do a "pitch and catch" drill, vary the attacks and have the feeder replicate what one might actually encounter in a fight. Every art does a form of "pitch and catch." However; this particular version of it often drills some very bad habits.

Regards,
Steve

Agreed. I hail primarily from a Tang Soo Do background. In my first school and in the system I was with for a short while until just recently there were about 25 each of one steps for hands (il soo sik), feet (il jok sik), and self-defense (ho sin sul). I've always hated this. The one steps for hand and feet were always set up so one partner attacks from a low-block in front-stance (unrealistic) while the defender starts in a ready stance (also unrealistic). I've also noticed that many of the predetermined one steps like this seem to lack an understanding of body mechanics.

At our school, we are teaching applications of our forms. Those applications form the basis of our primary partnered drills, along with others that we find useful and applicable. We try to keep things as realistic as possible for a drill (while maintaining safety).

I will not teach a student to block a punch with a kick, because if they are fighting someone who is dumb enough to throw a punch from that far then there's no point in blocking it at all (it will never connect from that far away).

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One Steps are not for advanced belts, they are for beginners. While not realistic for teaching responses in a real fight they are slow and deliberate. For a beginner that is more than fast enough to get used to an attack coming at them and various responses to defend themselfs. As you gain experience you can and should use more advanced training techniques.

A crecent kick used as a block for a middle puch doesn't make much sense, but a crecent kick to block/misdirect a middle knife thrust or other weapon does.

One Steps are baby steps on the path to mastering your particular art.

Latest Discussions