MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fitness Dept.

Kranking It

by William Finnegan August 4, 2008

080804_talkfngnillu_p233.jpg

First, there was krumping, the spasmic, freestyle hip-hop dance out of South Central L.A. You probably weren’t much good at it. It went global anyway. You might have it confused with crunk. That’s hip-hop, too. Southern, thumping, also fast. Usher had a hit with it a few years back.
O.K. Now it’s time to krank. This is not hip-hop. But it’s going to be huge. To experience Kranking®, you’ll need a Krankcycle®, and, for the moment, one of the few places you can find one in New York is at the Reebok Sports Club/NY, on Columbus Avenue. Avery Washington offers introductory classes. Picture ten Krankcycles in a mirrored room—they’re stationary arm bikes, basically, with just a seat, a suspended front wheel, and hand-pedals where handlebars normally go. On a recent morning, half a dozen women were Kranking, hands whirling in front of them, while a mixtape of Danzel, Janet Jackson, and Miguel Migs pounded from Washington’s pink-shelled iPod. Washington, an extensively muscled man wearing a red bandanna, and a certified Kranking instructor, was chanting, “Left, synch it, a little faster, come on, this is where you get the cardio, nice and smooth, right on, nice transition, left and right, both arms working together.”
Full article here: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/08/04/080804ta_talk_finnegan
Didn't Dolph Lundgren use one of these in Rocky 4? During his training for his fight with Rocky while Rocky was using the speed bag? The concept seems the same except that with the Krank you could dial up resistance and thus make it more work as you build up speed and your cardio. Seems that's the concept that would work for Martial Artists wanting to build up speed in their arms and shoulder muscles.
Dunno, new fitness crazes tend to come and go. Some are good some are well, just that a craze, then it'll fade down to where a few people will be using it while all the rest will pass the machine and say "oh yeah, I used to use one of those for a while, not a bad work out..." then head on over to the juice bar.
From a MA stand point that's one of the benefits I can see from this new (?) machine. To go as fast as you can to build up speed, which is the concept of the "speed bag" for boxing. Only now you can add resistance to it and thus increase strength while building speed.
How does this look to you all? Gonna give it a bash?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Used one in PT for one of the many injuries I have given myself over the years. Great for PT but IMO for MA I would rather use a speed bag

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Used one in PT for one of the many injuries I have given myself over the years. Great for PT but IMO for MA I would rather use a speed bag
For discussion sake ... why the preference over the speed bag vs the kranker?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For discussion sake ... why the preference over the speed bag vs the kranker?

Focus on a target not just holding a pair of peddles and kranking away

Kind of like comparing muay thai aerobics to muay thai kick boxing training IMO. Both are good for what they are and both can get you in shape but only one is really training you to fight

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The machine is good for cardio and for keeping a body part warm ( read blood flow, muscle not cooling off) but I would rather train with something or in some way related to the arts if practicing and not just warming up.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I read this article in the New Yorker and thought it was funny that this guy says he "invented" this. It's been used in PT for years for shoulder, elbow, and arm injuries, to regain mobility and warm-up before doing more strenuous PT exercises.

Plus, it looks incredibly boring.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like that the article says I can only find these machines at teh Reebok place in NYC....there's a hand bike in the gym at the YMCA where I workout...in West Chester, PA. Hardly NYC :)

As for my opinion, it's anpother way to do cardio, workout the upper body (shoulders and arms)...perfectly acceptable when done properly, as is ANY other kind of excercise. Right tool for the right job and all that.

Peace,
Erik

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great, another piece of gear for thousands of Americans to buy so they'll have something to hang their clothes on. ;)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just used this for the first time recently during physical therapy since I am recovering from surgery. I think it served the purpose at this stage of my recovery. I think once I am 100% I would get a bit bored doing this all of the time, but for now, its a great workout for me.

Latest Discussions