OK I'm officially confused

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I belevie Yi Li Quan combines Xing Yi, Baghua and Tai Chi. Pete Starr is an MT member but hasbeen pretty infrequent altely. (user pstarr i believe). I have met him on a few occasions and trained with some of his students and they are for real.

OK I am again officially confused.

I know Pete Starr, via MT only, and I have read his books as well and I have no doubt of the his legitimacy as a martial artists or his style but what does Yi Li Quan and pstarr have to do with Dr Yang Jwing Ming doing Chen style Taijiquan?

EDIT

Wait I think I know where you are coming from now based on a few posts back. It is a legitimate style made up of the study of other styles. I Am not exactly sure what Yi Li Quan is a combination of but I do know it is most certainly part Xingyiquan and I believe Bagua as well but I am not sure how much of it is taiji. But my take on it is it is more towards the Xingyi side of the neijia styles then the taiji. But only Pete Starr could answer that one for sure

And you are correct he does not post here any longer and that is a loss to MT IMO.

Sorry I was a bit slow on the uptake before DavidCC

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK I am again officially confused.

I know Pete Starr, via MT only, and I have read his books as well and I have no doubt of the his legitimacy as a martial artists or his style but what does Yi Li Quan and pstarr have to do with Dr Yang Jwing Ming doing Chen style Taijiquan?

EDIT

Wait I think I know where you are coming from now based on a few posts back. It is a legitimate style made up of the study of other styles. I Am not exactly sure what Yi Li Quan is a combination of but I do know it is most certainly part Xingyiquan and I believe Bagua as well but I am not sure how much of it is taiji. But my take on it is it is more towards the Xingyi side of the neijia styles then the taiji. But only Pete Starr could answer that one for sure

And you are correct he does not post here any longer and that is a loss to MT IMO.

Sorry I was a bit slow on the uptake before DavidCC

Yes, it was asked "Has anyone heard of forms that mix Baguazhang and Tai Chi together into one form?"

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Yes, it was asked "Has anyone heard of forms that mix Baguazhang and Tai Chi together into one form?"

David, this is actually a style I practice. Wu Ji Style Tai Chi Chuan is a derivative of Chen style, where much of the abrupt stop/starts, stomps, and explicit fa li have been softened and made continuous through emphasis on coiling, spirals, and chan si. After learning and practicing the form, you can then apply bagua stepping to do the form with continuous walking... very fast and agile. The style hails from Shanghai region but is not very well know in the US.

Pete

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guys don’t get me wrong because I like Dr Yang but what the heck is going on here. Look at what Dr Yang is doing and compare it to the Chen family Versions of Paochui

Yang Jwingming Pao Chui

Chen Taijiquan - Laojia Er Lu (Pao Chui) – Chen Zhenglei

Chen Xiaowang Xinja Erlu - Chen Xiaowang,

Interesting... Yang Jwingming seems to be doing a particular interpretation of new frame (xinjia) Pao Chui. Chen Zhenglei and Chen Xiaowang do the Chen Jia Gou (Chen Village) version of the Chen Style.

Who did Shou Yu Liang learn the Chen style from?

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sun style taijiquan is supposed to have some baguazhang.

Here's another mix by GM Feng Zhiqiang in which he combines chen style taijiquan with xinyi liuhequan and tongbeiquan:

Last edited by a moderator:

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
The problem with this comparison is that there's a much wider variety of Chen style than is indicated in this comparison. The bottom two teachers are famous but that hardly makes them the only experts on the subject, nor the standard by which all Chen stylists compare themselves.

There are several interpretations of Chen style taijiquan, the Chen Jiagou version just being one of them. There are others in Beijing and Shandong, Taiwan... plus the government forms.

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's another interesting mix:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions