Oh...My...Goodness! Hybrids anyone?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a note:

I like the idea of Hybrids. I think they are good and will be around for a while. Until we get some "New" technology to replace IC engines.

I just wanted to point out to people that they should buy intelligently and not impulsively, and get what they are really looking for.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Internal annoucement: Unable to link or to link original source at this time. My apologies

GM NEWS
BMW, DAIMLERCHRYSLER AND GM FORM GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR HYBRID DRIVE DEVELOPMENT .... The BMW Group, DaimlerChrysler AG and General Motors Corporation signed a "memorandum of understanding" Sept. 7 governing the formation of an alliance of equals for the joint development of hybrid drive systems. The three global automakers are cooperating in order to pool their expertise for the accelerated and efficient development of hybrid drive systems.
GM and DaimlerChrysler signed binding, definitive agreements on August 22, 2005. BMW Group intends to enter into a definitive agreement with GM and DaimlerChrysler later this year.

The objective is to jointly develop a two-mode hybrid drive system that reduces fuel consumption while not compromising vehicle capability. While the base two-mode hybrid design will be common, each company will individually integrate the hybrid system into the design and manufacturing of vehicles in accordance with their brand specific requirements.

"The participation of the BMW Group has allowed us to gain another expert partner for the development of this advanced two-mode hybrid system," says Tom Stephens, Group Vice President at GM Powertrain. "This cooperation paves the way for extensive hybrid collaboration among the three companies. We also continue to discuss additional partners for this alliance."

In Troy, Michigan, the new "GM, DaimlerChrysler and BMW Hybrid Development Center" will develop the overall modular system and the individual components: electric motors, high-performance electronics, wiring, safety systems, energy management, and hybrid system control units. In addition, the Hybrid Development Center will be responsible for system integration and project management.

Two-mode hybrid technology further enhances the performance, fuel efficiency and range of conventional hybrid drive vehicles. In city driving and in stop-and-go traffic, the vehicles can be powered either by two electric motors or by the combustion engine, or the two drive systems can be used simultaneously. Regardless of which type of operation is chosen, the drive system's fuel saving potential is exploited to maximum effect.

As it says GM and DaimlerChrysler are already in an agreement for development for hybrids. BMW will be joining the development as well.

Previously GM and Ford went into joint development to develop a new 6 speed automatic transmission to help with fuel economy and also performance, depending upon how you calibrate the system.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I just wanted to point out to people that they should buy intelligently and not impulsively, and get what they are really looking for.

Yes, that's basically how I read your earlier post. And as I indicated, this isn't an impulse reaction to gas prices. I was considering hybrid cars about a year or so ago. My car is rather old (it's a 1991 passed around the family) and I know it's going to need to be replaced in the near future, so I've had this in mind for a while. I really like the fuel efficiency of hybrids, something like 40 miles per gallon, and thus saving money on gas. I kind of view the lower pollutant levels as a bonus benefit. As long as the cost of the vehicle isn't too high, then I should be able to make up the short-term extra expense to buy the vehicle with long-term savings on gas (and possibly repairs to pass emissions testing). From what I've seen, currently available hybrids list around $20k or so which isn't as expensive as I thought they might be; http://www.edmunds.com/ has the highest number of vehicles in the $15-$25k range, so $20k list seems reasonable. Yes, I should do more research and all that jazz and will as it becomes more important. I was just wondering what people know about them and could offer me in the way of information, etc. right now.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a 2000 Toyota echo.. 5 years old and still gets 40 mpg on the highway. Woot.

Dronak said:
I had been considering buying a hybrid car before this summer's rapidly rising gas prices. That has just made hybrids an even more attractive option. And for my particular situation, there isn't that much I can do to reduce driving or save money. The price this morning had actually dropped, the high end, premium gas being around $3.14 which should translate to about $2.94 regular.

My car is getting rather old and will need to be replaced sometime in the near future, so I'm starting to consider my options. Hybrids are definitely up there, so if anyone has some good info about them to pass along, please let me know. Thanks.

Latest Discussions