OH EM GEH Obama Care

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sick of the term.
I am sick of the usual suspects pointing out the flaws when they had 8 years to come up with something better. I mean, instead of pointing out bad health care systems and looking at those that work they rested on the 'just look how bad it is' and finger pointing.

As rich as this country is, it is insane that so many people were without healthcare, or that they could lose everything because of illness, in spite of having coverage.

Sadly, once voted into national office, I do believe your health care troubles are over, not to mention to be elected you have to be insanely rich to even have a chance.

Disclaimer:
I know that using 'They' as villain does not exactly make this a valid base for discussion.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it was only six years where the Republicans controlled both the executive and legislative branches. The Republicans haven't controlled congress for nearly four years now. I'll leave it to you to decide if you are any better off than you were four years ago. Some people are.

But, if anyone were to hand the big insurance companies mandatory, subsidized customers, you would think it would be the Republicans based on the memes in the media. Big pharma seems to be very pleased with the so-called healthcare reform bill too. I thought it was more insurance reform than healthcare reform.

In the meantime, the reform that was supposed to save consumers money will end up costing me, and others like me, more because of the cap and limitations placed on health savings accounts.

I also question the constitutionality of the reform, but with the insurance reform bill, the Patriot Act, the naked body scanners, and various other laws and executive orders through various administrations that seem to be ok, I guess I don't really know what the constitution means any more.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I was counting the 8 years that other guy was in office.
the 8 years before that 'they' did all they could to torpedo that reform package in favor of the juicy intern gig...

The point is (I can't believe I actually have one) that 'they' did not bother to even attempt to reform it. There are wonderful programs out all over the world where everybody is covered. They are not free, and far from perfect, but a doggon site better than the poop we have now. And I have good coverage ATM, but was without for a long time, or on a restrictive one that pretty much punished me for being a female of reproductive age...I used to joke it covered me for 364 days a year, sole exception: the day I got sick.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I was counting the 8 years that other guy was in office.
the 8 years before that 'they' did all they could to torpedo that reform package in favor of the juicy intern gig...

I don't know why the Democratic congress didn't send him a health reform bill. He signed off on just about everything else they sent him.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know why the Democratic congress didn't send him a health reform bill. He signed off on just about everything else they sent him.

sure he did? I thought he vetoed a couple things.

anywho....the not doing crowd is now crying over the doing crowd doing it wrong.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sick of the usual suspects pointing out the flaws when they had 8 years to come up with something better.

I'm pretty sick of this argument, actually. It completely ignores the fact that some people don't want the government involved in healthcare, period.

"We don't want a government healthcare program, and besides, your plan sucks and is doomed to failure."

"Well, you had your chance to come up with a better plan."

"What part of 'we don't want a government healthcare program' are you failing to comprehend? Why would we come up with a better way of doing something we don't want?"

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty sick of this argument, actually. It completely ignores the fact that some people don't want the government involved in healthcare, period.

"We don't want a government healthcare program, and besides, your plan sucks and is doomed to failure."

"Well, you had your chance to come up with a better plan."

"What part of 'we don't want a government healthcare program' are you failing to comprehend? Why would we come up with a better way of doing something we don't want?"

well, if left up to no government the people with money win.

However, passing a law does not equate it with being a government run program.
Like in Germany for instance. You have to be insured. Either in the plain ole insurance or 'private' but everybody pays in. Cheap? No.
But everybody is covered. best possible model? Nope. But it has worked pretty well for a long time.
Your part for the 'plain ole' program is a percentage of your paycheck. You pay have, your boss pays half. You can opt for the other program. might save you some money when you are raking in the big bucks. My mom did that when she was working, now she is paying dearly. still she lives well and is covered. Non of that drug plan, additional, secondary plan junk

But did they look at that model? nooooo
only at the weird Brit/canadian stuff.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are lots of health care models across the world that work, and comparitively speaking, they work well. I'm not sure how the health care reform will work out. I see both negative and positive things in it. I do know, the status quo was not working and bad for the country as a whole, not to mention terrible for many, many individuals. Despite claims to the contrary, US healthcare is not "the best in the world."...very far from it.

The health care reform is actually a Republican plan for the most part. It is basically the same plan put forward by ex-Senator Bob Dole in response to then first lady Hilllary Clinton's health care plan.

Now would be a very good time to own an insurance company. While the reform will change the industry, it will also save it, at the same time funnelling billions of dollars into it.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
See my Dr. Drew post. He discusses the flight of doctors when they cut medicare payments by 22 percent. It is going to be a disaster, without a doubt.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See my Dr. Drew post. He discusses the flight of doctors when they cut medicare payments by 22 percent. It is going to be a disaster, without a doubt.

And where, pray tell, are they going to flee to? Canada?

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will probably head to fields of medicine less dependent on medicare, many may retire early, I know my mother's doctor convinced her own son not to go into medicine because it is too hard to make a decent living that goes along with all the sacrifice to become a doctor. A lot of talented people will just not become doctors and the shortages will really impact medical care.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
maybe if a few of the lazy and bad doctors are weeded out the level of care goes up as well.

it's not like we are having a lack of doctors, at least not in the city...

However, the point is, 8 years went by without anybody even attempting to bring health care to every citizen of the nation, now all you hear is how bad it is.

You know, people who do make mistakes. It's easier to point them out than to improve the situation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally, I am not happy with the health care reform bill as passed. I have serious problems with a lack of a viable public option coupled with forcing people to then purchase something from a private vendor.

But I do hate the term "obamacare". It's a disengenuous term specifically intended to take a giant turd pile that was laid collectively over a long period of time by a large group of both republicans and democrats and blame the stink on one person.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
However, the point is, 8 years went by without anybody even attempting to bring health care to every citizen of the nation, now all you hear is how bad it is.

The last major health care reform attempt was actually in 1993, making it 17 years. In 2002 there was the Medicare Modernization and Prescription Drug Act, but I'm sure that isn't what you meant.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The last major health care reform attempt was actually in 1993, making it 17 years. In 2002 there was the Medicare Modernization and Prescription Drug Act, but I'm sure that isn't what you meant.

I lost track of it...too many people torpedoed it since they could not get credit for it...

Latest Discussions