Obama Effigy at George Fox U

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well in that case THANKS Elder....

you Do make me glad that you are around!!

if nothing else, you do get people to THINK dont ya?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hold the phone

I am no big fan of blacks?

Please back that up or retract it.
NOW

I see Elder has dug up most or perhaps all of the relevant posts. I didn't see if the one was in there where you claimed Africa has been nothing but pointed sticks and mud huts until the Europeans colonized them, but I would include that one too.

I don't even blame you for it. I lived in and dealt with the worst parts of Baltimore for a year, I understand the temptation and how that can shape your outlook. I overcame the temptation though.

Just put yourself in these student's shoes, that is what I am asking. This isn't a Republican vs. Democrat point scoring match (or at least this shouldn't be), it is about a vulnerable and small group of students being singled out. That isn't right, and all the political twisting in the world won't change that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Elder has dug up most or perhaps all of the relevant posts. I didn't see if the one was in there where you claimed Africa has been nothing but pointed sticks and mud huts until the Europeans colonized them, but I would include that one too.

That one shouldn't even come close-it could have as easily included South American indians, or natives of New Guinea or Borneo. It wasn't prejudice, or something against blacks, it was ignorance, pure and simple-simply "ignorance" as in not knowing any better.

I don't even blame you for it. I lived in and dealt with the worst parts of Baltimore for a year, I understand the temptation and how that can shape your outlook. I overcame the temptation though.

Just put yourself in these student's shoes, that is what I am asking. This isn't a Republican vs. Democrat point scoring match (or at least this shouldn't be), it is about a vulnerable and small group of students being singled out. That isn't right, and all the political twisting in the world won't change that.

Good post. Good man!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The fishing line isn't what has everyone upset. Don't you understand that? It was the sign targeting the school's minority students that was the problem.

So it's not about the hanged effigy, it was about the sign? Without the sign I think the incident becomes much worse. It targets a person or a race rather than a program.

I read the words:
http://portland.actsix.org/learn/aboutactsix.aspx
http://portland.actsix.org/apply/guidingquestions.aspx

And look at the pictures:
http://portland.actsix.org/impact/scholars.aspx

I don't see the program being racially exclusive or limited, but rather it appears to embrace diversity. Maybe they use code words rather than straight talk and that's what I don't get?

If you have a link to more information about what happened and who did it, that would be great! Until then, there is a lot of guess and assumptions going on, and that was really my point in the previous message.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't see the program being racially exclusive or limited, but rather it appears to embrace diversity.

There are more racial minorities in those two pictures than I saw in three years of attending that campus. Make no mistake, Act 6 is seen as a minority program as the articles indicate, even though there were a number of white skinned people in both pictures.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are more racial minorities in those two pictures than I saw in three years of attending that campus. Make no mistake, Act 6 is seen as a minority program as the articles indicate, even though there were a number of white skinned people in both pictures.

I'll take your word based on your experience that the program is in fact more exclusive than the promoting website lets on.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like the culprits have been caught.

The school’s Office of Student Life identified the students late last week and has completed a disciplinary hearing.
All four students face long-term suspension and community service.

They are not naming the students citing federal law and the Secret Service are investigating the incident though no crime has been committed.

Thoughts about this?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Looks like the culprits have been caught.

They are not naming the students citing federal law and the Secret Service are investigating the incident though no crime has been committed.

Thoughts about this?

What makes you say "no crime has been committed?" While the article says that they broke no specific state laws, they might still be indictable under federal statutes, and the Secret Service have to investigate-it could be construed as a threat towards a Presidential candidate under their protection.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What makes you say "no crime has been committed?" While the article says that they broke no specific state laws, they might still be indictable under federal statutes, and the Secret Service have to investigate-it could be construed as a threat towards a Presidential candidate under their protection.
I should correct that statement and quote the article thus:
After consulting with state and federal authorities the Newberg Police Department determined the students broke no specific state laws. Law enforcement is not involved in any disciplinary actions.

The secret service is investigating though when I tried to pull up that page my AVG blocked it. :idunno:

They have yet to be brought up on charges. I don't think it's a crime to hang an effigy though I'm not sure if it will be considered a hate crime.

Curious, elder999, what message do you think the students who hung the effigy were trying to send?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Odds are good they were just trying to be funny....

2043-fail-camera.jpg