Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't the M1 a .30-06 round? That's only mid-power, as far as rifles go. Sounds like typical beaureaucratic nonsense to me. I doubt Obama would be personally involved in such a low-level decision anyway, although he might be now.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is very silly, since CMP / DCM has been around for over a century now.

Isn't the M1 a .30-06 round? That's only mid-power, as far as rifles go.

The .30-06 Springfield, in its factory offerings (handloads can easily give significantly higher performance, safely), gives about the same punch as the .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO, and both are classified as "full power" cartridges. "Intermediate power" is used for weaker cartridges the likes of the 7.62 x 39 Soviet.

On another note, you have to remember, that the gun-grabbing folks happily call a firearm chambered in the .223 Remington / 5.56 NATO, a "high powered rifle."

Sounds like typical beaureaucratic nonsense to me. I doubt Obama would be personally involved in such a low-level decision anyway, although he might be now.

Basically, his "knowledge" of firearms comes from whatever the Chicago pol's, such as Mayor Dick Daley, parrots from the gun-grabbing lobby. Given the wild inaccuracies that they freely embrace as the truth, this comes as no surprise.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Isn't the M1 a .30-06 round? That's only mid-power, as far as rifles go. Sounds like typical beaureaucratic nonsense to me. I doubt Obama would be personally involved in such a low-level decision anyway, although he might be now.

The 30-06 was designed to be a man stopper at ranges of 1000 yards.

The M1 carbine is essentially a 150 yard gun.

I find it odd that they blocked the import of AMERICAN MADE FIREARMS!! We made them and shipped them to korea, now they want to ship them back and they can't?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The definition of "antique" is somewhat vague and subject to social evolution.

As a general term-of-art these days, and "antique" is any item over 25 years old. So all these Antique Stores, and the "Antique Roadshows," even antique cars, etc. are all dealing with items 25 years or older.

Now, the legal definition of antique, as applied to firearms, is different.

So it is not inaccurate to refer to these Lend Lease M1's as "antiques" and may actually be clarifying for the general populace of the U.S.

Personally, I hate it. Antiques are, to me, 100+.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions