Not effective?

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
My lingering question to the teakwondons here is, why dosent tkd use some of its kicking techniques and throw them at the lower end of the body? One of the "issues" mma and others have with TKD is the perception they have no low kicks. Tho i have seen on youtube and other places that some of the kicks that are normaly only thrown mid and high can be quite effective as a low kick. Forgive me if i use the wrong terms, but the round kick and the side kick were what were demonstrated for me, both working up high as well down low.(attacking the knee and shins and other movement generating things) Im sure there are other kicks that can do low attacks as well, just why arnt they practiced or focused on? Every time i see a TKD in a mma or even K1 bout they almost never throw low kicks.

I would imagine that Tkd would do better in mma if it had some measurable way to prevent takedowns, but thats just my opinion.

Having said that, i dont think sucsess in the cage measures its viability on the street for self defense. I have a friend, who never steped foot in a cage, and has used his tkd many times on the street for real self defense.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My lingering question to the teakwondons here is, why dosent tkd use some of its kicking techniques and throw them at the lower end of the body? One of the "issues" mma and others have with TKD is the perception they have no low kicks. Im sure there are other kicks that can do low attacks as well, just why arnt they practiced or focused on? Every time i see a TKD in a mma or even K1 bout they almost never throw low kicks.

I would imagine that Tkd would do better in mma if it had some measurable way to prevent takedowns, but thats just my opinion.

As you stated TKD has low kicks; you are confusing the art with the sport. Many kickboxing contests don't have low kicks but some kickboxers make the transition to MMA as do Boxers. Saying TKD would do better if it had some measureable way to prevent the takedown could be said of boxing as well. Or how about saying wrestling would do better if it included striking?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
As you stated TKD has low kicks; you are confusing the art with the sport.

The problem is that many, many schools train for the sport and ignore most of that which is not applicable. And performing a movement--whether it's punching to the face, defending face attacks, leg kicks, knees, elbows, etc.--will only come naturally if it's regularly trained.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Furthermore, most Dojangs teach counters to grabs. Unfortunately, not all of them go to the length of tackles and takedown defense, but its there, in pretty much all of its varieties. Like Low Kicks. Theyre there, they just need to actually be taught.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is that many, many schools train for the sport and ignore most of that which is not applicable. And performing a movement--whether it's punching to the face, defending face attacks, leg kicks, knees, elbows, etc.--will only come naturally if it's regularly trained.
True, and thats why its so important to find a good school that suits your needs. The schools you described are great if your goal is being a competitive tkdist who competes in competitions but may not be what you are looking for if thats not your goal. We do a lot of head punching drills and we train low kicks, its all a part of tkd. I thinks its important to find a school who "mix up" sparring a bit also, its not great to always spar the exact same ruleset. We do sparring WTF style, plus punching only (like boxing) some nights, 2 on 1, 3 on 1 , 2 on 2, knock down sparring, light contact, full contact etc etc to constantly keep you out of your comfort zone.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
My lingering question to the teakwondons here is, why dosent tkd use some of its kicking techniques and throw them at the lower end of the body?

What make you believe that taekwondoin don't use some of its kicking techniques and throw them at the lower end of the body? Personally, leg kicking is my speciality. I love kicking the leg.

Latest Discussions