Normalcy Bias and Salman Rushdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course if you and 20 of your MA studnts are on that bus, the outcome will be different.

Also if you have a walking cane like this (since firearm is not available), the outcome will also be different.

View attachment 28790
A regular cane can do a lot of damage already, this is illegal in Kalifornia for sure. I am pretty sure it's illegal in a lot of other states. Or else, it's too easy.

I carry a 20oz fiber filled Nylon cane, I don't think anyone would appreciate hitting by that.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A regular cane can do a lot of damage already, this is illegal in Kalifornia for sure. I am pretty sure it's illegal in a lot of other states. Or else, it's too easy.

I carry a 20oz fiber filled Nylon cane, I don't think anyone would appreciate hitting by that.
Sword canes and "sword-sticks" are illegal in most states. There are a few that cover it under their CCW laws.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sword canes and "sword-sticks" are illegal in most states. There are a few that cover it under their CCW laws.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Regular cane I carry is legal!!! One just need to practice, not just carrying. I carry this Fiber filled Nylon:
United Cutlery 39" Adjustable Walking Black Molded Nylon Shaft Cane 3129 760729312968 | eBay

I cut the hook off and make it look innocent:
Nylon Cains.jpg

I started out with shorter, as I practice, I got stronger and I move to a longer cane. I have two that I wrap the end for hitting heavy bags.

They are like 20oz, it's not like those rattan stuffs, it can hit hard.

I used to carry and rattan and practice with one hand. Then I saw a stick competition where the two guys just hitting each other stupid from beginning to end. They were still standing after that. Even though they wore protect stuffs, but still. I switched to two hand and using a heavier cane. With this hitting with two hands, I don't care they wear protective gear, this is going to hurt.

Wood cane made of Hickory can be good, I have one that is thicker and it's like 18oz. My problem is I don't trust wood. I had one cheaper cane from Amazon. I hit the bag to try out, it broke into two pieces in less than a minute.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are people getting shot with the M1 Garand?

The reason I ask is because if they were then they would feel the same way that they would about being shot with an AR-15.
Well statistically, it’s handguns that are responsible for the VAST majority of firearm deaths in the U.S. Less than 5% of firearm deaths are by long guns, and even fewer with AR 15 style rifles. Yet, people are more concerned with the AR15 than with handguns. It makes no practical sense to focus on banning the statistically less lethal firearm, and yet the most commonly owned long gun.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well statistically, it’s handguns that are responsible for the VAST majority of firearm deaths in the U.S. Less than 5% of firearm deaths are by long guns, and even fewer with AR 15 style rifles. Yet, people are more concerned with the AR15 than with handguns. It makes no practical sense to focus on banning the statistically less lethal firearm, and yet the most commonly owned long gun.
They want to ban ALL guns. Just a first step.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
And you know, how you (or I) react in one situation will probably affect how we would react if it ever happens again. In one of those articles that were shared earlier, someone talked about all of the folks who failed to act in the Kitty Genovese crimes did act in future events.

Another article (or may be the same one... it was a lot to consume pretty quickly) mentioned there were an average of 6 events in a person's life where they may be required to act. So, whether it's your first time in a situation like that or your 3rd or 6th would reasonably impact your performance in that crisis quite a bit.
6?! That depends a lot on your job and where you live in the world. I have few military buddies that would disagree with those numbers. I have a feeling that a lot of first responders might differ in opinion with that as well.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, that is exactly the idea. Incremental regulation, registration, and then confiscation. That is how it has been historically accomplished elsewhere.
OK, I don't want to get into debate, I am all for guns

In your situation, you need long guns like AK47 or AR15. With wild animals and drug cartels, even a 44 Mag handgun is questionable. For me, I live in big city and most people are not around drug cartels and big animals. AK47 and AR15 is not good for self defense, it's way over kill. Problem is the rounds can go through a few houses and kill someone that has nothing to do with it sitting in their living room. Handgun or shot gun is the best way for protection, not AKs.

I would not do anything to go against those rifles, I still support the 2nd Amendment, I just do NOT buy them. I own over 20 handguns and one shotgun, I just never bring myself to buy an AR15 or AK47. I am tempted to buy one just for show and tell.

AND NO, you cannot reason with those anti gunners, you just have to FIGHT every inch with them. If they ban Those rifles, they will move to your handguns.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well statistically, it’s handguns that are responsible for the VAST majority of firearm deaths in the U.S. Less than 5% of firearm deaths are by long guns, and even fewer with AR 15 style rifles
Statistically you have to look at things more specifically. What's the stats for guns being used in mass shootings?

How many hand guns are used 1 -3 people killings vs 4+people killings. It's not enough to just lump them all together as if they are the same. The numbers will be more useful once we can identify which situations dictate the type of gun. But if you guys say hand guns kill more people then let's ban hand guns and keep the AR-15. Since hand guns kill more people. Ban the thing that kills the most people
right?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They want to ban ALL guns. Just a first step.
Don't believe that nonsense. That's political talk. Like I tell everyone. We got guns too. We just don't talk about them like the other side. We don't feel the need to brag about what we got. Black people got guns, Hispanics got guns, Asians got guns, white people got guns.

So who this this group that wants to ban guns? THEY don't exist. Just saying don't fall for that THEY JUST WANT TO BAN ALL GUNS. Here's my mentality. Why would I let people who hate people like me be the only ones with guns.

I have a white co-worker tell me the same thing that you just stated. I have him the same answer. He no longer talks to me about guns. I kept it 100 (real). And he no longer says "They just want to ban all guns." There are hate groups with guns and Anarchist groups with guns. Criminals with guns and fans with guns. Now tell me again how many people do you think really want to ban all guns?

You have to think through that political noise.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Statistically you have to look at things more specifically. What's the stats for guns being used in mass shootings?

How many hand guns are used 1 -3 people killings vs 4+people killings. It's not enough to just lump them all together as if they are the same. The numbers will be more useful once we can identify which situations dictate the type of gun. But if you guys say hand guns kill more people then let's ban hand guns and keep the AR-15. Since hand guns kill more people. Ban the thing that kills the most people
right?
In all fairness, there's a lot of miss conception about "assault riffles". What you can buy is NOT the same as the ones use in war. Those are FULL AUTO, not like the ones you buy that are SEMI AUTO.....that you fire one round each time you pull the trigger. You can shoot no faster than a semi auto handgun.

The major difference is the bullet penetration. Those riffles with bigger bullets can go through more walls to shoot people hiding behind stuffs. Maybe it's psychological that people use those for mass murder in schools and others. I can shoot just as fast with a Glock 19 handgun as those riffles and I can get magazines that hold just as many rounds. To me, it's easier to carry two or three handguns than one riffle for that.

My biggest complain is those riffles bullets can go through a lot of walls and kill innocent people that has nothing to do with it. That to me is the biggest problem. Also, it's easier to aim using a long gun. You need training to shoot with a handgun.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't believe that nonsense. That's political talk. Like I tell everyone. We got guns too. We just don't talk about them like the other side. We don't feel the need to brag about what we got. Black people got guns, Hispanics got guns, Asians got guns, white people got guns.

So who this this group that wants to ban guns? THEY don't exist. Just saying don't fall for that THEY JUST WANT TO BAN ALL GUNS. Here's my mentality. Why would I let people who hate people like me be the only ones with guns.

I have a white co-worker tell me the same thing that you just stated. I have him the same answer. He no longer talks to me about guns. I kept it 100 (real). And he no longer says "They just want to ban all guns." There are hate groups with guns and Anarchist groups with guns. Criminals with guns and fans with guns. Now tell me again how many people do you think really want to ban all guns?

You have to think through that political noise.
WRONG, we are not supposed to talk politics. I am very into politics and current affair. I watch news hours a day. We can really go into deep debate and I can pull out news clips after news clips.

But we need to leave it at that before we both get banned. This is not the place.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree, that is exactly the idea. Incremental regulation, registration, and then confiscation. That is how it has been historically accomplished elsewhere.
That stuff isn't going to happen here. The US has a history of on group saying "This is for us but not for you. " If the laws were carried out equally then yes, this would be a possibility. But we all know the truth. There some laws for one group that aren't applied equally to another group. People be defenseless in this country. Not when there's a history of Americans turning on each other. Even Alan knows this. Asian people getting attacked in the streets out of hate. Just saying. It's not the first time Asians have been targeted in the US. There are alot of people who you don't think have guns so do. There are people who don't have guns who still want the option to have one of they feel the need.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
AND NO, you cannot reason with those anti gunners, you just have to FIGHT every inch with them.
You don't have to fight them because what they say is unrealistic. There to much hate in the US for people to seriously ban all guns. Just like defend the police. And now from the other side defend the FBI. Neither one is going to happen. Don't even sweat that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions