Non-Wing Chun

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is awkward. I thought you didn't read it. I didn't realise you tried to read it and completely misunderstood the contents.

I feel really bad about making fun of your reading ability, I get it, life's hard enough without people pointing it out.

Except I understood the article just fine. The point is that despite his overall conclusion, he was still making excuses for Wing Chun. No need to be a baby about this. Every art has its limitations, some just happen to have more than others.

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
I haven’t said anything about me. I asked a question.

but I like the way you’re thinking. Now let’s apply that same logic to wing chun.

I don't blame you for not talking about you, I can't think of anything to say, I even pointed out things that you aren't, as opposed to are... I can see why you do what you do... Dragging down others so you can feel better about yourself... It's kinda invigorating.

Snark is an appropriate handle for you. You seem entirely disinterested in having a rational discussion.

You should be familiar with those qualities I've adopted your approach.

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Except I understood the article just fine. The point is that despite his overall conclusion, he was still making excuses for Wing Chun. No need to be a baby about this. Every art has its limitations, some just happen to have more than others.

Naah you don't understand it at all. Don't worry,.it's clearly not the first time. Baby... lol, name calling, really. Look it's your poor reading comprehension, no one else's just own it.

Good effort on getting through that wordy article though.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys care if wc is effective anywhere, or do you train for health, fitness, or fun.
Yes. I want my WC to be effective in a self defense situation. Not too worried about it holding up in the ring. MMA has the ability to hold up in the ring and on the streets. And people who train MMA become better fighters quicker id agree. WC takes a long time to get good at. And even longer to get good enough to use it against someone else who is trained. BUT. I don't do it just to be a better fighter. I enjoy the history of it. I enjoy the forms and the theory. I enjoy the art aspect of it.
I also train with people who practice other styles and we spare and mix it up. And it works pretty good!

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not what I got out of the article at all. What I got out of the article is that WC has a place in MMA. But if you go in as a strict WC guy you'll get destroyed. But that's true about all the arts. That's why McGregor boxed and Mayweather didn't jump into the cage

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. I want my WC to be effective in a self defense situation. Not too worried about it holding up in the ring. MMA has the ability to hold up in the ring and on the streets. And people who train MMA become better fighters quicker id agree. WC takes a long time to get good at. And even longer to get good enough to use it against someone else who is trained. BUT. I don't do it just to be a better fighter. I enjoy the history of it. I enjoy the forms and the theory. I enjoy the art aspect of it.
I also train with people who practice other styles and we spare and mix it up. And it works pretty good!
i can see that, i play chess for the same reason and that doesnt make you good at fighting either, but i enjoy it, so thats all that matters for both of us

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
i can see that, i play chess for the same reason and that doesnt make you good at fighting either, but i enjoy it, so thats all that matters for both of us
I too enjoy chess. I play on my app on my phone if you're ever interested in a match! I'm so so at it

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
In case anyone needs to caught up. MMA is the only effective form of training to learn self defense. TMA are all trash. But WC is waaaay worse then most because it doesn't work in the ring (even tho some major names in MMA train some WC and say they like it) So were all just wasting or time and need to do MMA or just stop training all together. Roll over and die sorta deal

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I too enjoy chess. I play on my app on my phone if you're ever interested in a match! I'm so so at it
yea we could gove it ago, ive just started again after a 30 year lay off, mostly coz i ran out of people to play

i do like the over the board mano mano, then a lots is about phycoligy and reading body language, may be its nit that far from fighting as i first thought

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
yea we could gove it ago, ive just started again after a 30 year lay off, mostly coz i ran out of people to play

i do like the over the board mano mano, then a lots is about phycoligy and reading body language, may be its nit that far from fighting as i first thought
In person Chess is a whole nother ball game. Sorta like discussing fighting online. You can only be so effective in communicating your point haha. Ill find a link for the app I use

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not what I got out of the article at all. What I got out of the article is that WC has a place in MMA. But if you go in as a strict WC guy you'll get destroyed. But that's true about all the arts. That's why McGregor boxed and Mayweather didn't jump into the cage

To be fair, there are strict Bjj guys who enter MMA and don’t get destroyed, so that isn’t true for all martial arts. When I say “strict” I mean that 90-95% of what they do is Bjj. It would be the equivalent of a Wing Chin guy learning sprawl and a few grappling escapes and doing nothing else but Wing Chun. However we don’t see that happening.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, there are strict Bjj guys who enter MMA and don’t get destroyed, so that isn’t true for all martial arts. When I say “strict” I mean that 90-95% of what they do is Bjj. It would be the equivalent of a Wing Chin guy learning sprawl and a few grappling escapes and doing nothing else but Wing Chun. However we don’t see that happening.
Fair most TMA not all. A good grappler can definitely kill in the cage. I have read that the rules are sit up to favor grappling though because the Gracie's no clue how much water that holds tho. And yeah a strict WC guy would be murder in the ring. But I think that would be true for boxing too.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Look. If any of us WC guys were training for an MMA match you better believe that we'd be training with BJJ intrusctors and all the other instructors we could get our hands on. Or atleast I would. Thats fine, I can live with the knowledge that if I had to fight a professional fighter I'd have to train professionally.
"You're training to fight an average person, leave the professionals to me"- Emin Boztepe

I heard an interesting comment once that really put everything into prospective. "The average guy in the 21st century can go their whole life and never throw a single punch, if all you do is get a bag and practice hitting a few times a week your ahead of the the curve" -unknown
I feel confident that I can defend myself against 75 percent of the people out there. The other 25 are people like us who train and put in work. Maybe I'll win maybe I won't. But it won't come down to a matter of style. It will come down to who had the most heart.

Or **** maybe they just completely kick my *** and I lay there and cry. IDK, I don't plan on getting in many fights

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair most TMA not all. A good grappler can definitely kill in the cage. I have read that the rules are sit up to favor grappling though because the Gracie's no clue how much water that holds tho. And yeah a strict WC guy would be murder in the ring. But I think that would be true for boxing too.

I would say that fighting in general benefits a grappler because their training allows them to go full blast with little holding back. For example, I can practice a heel hook to near perfection in a “fighting” situation in a gym. Even Boxers have to pull punches when they practice. This is exactly the reason Judo beat Classical Jujutsu in the 19th century in Japan.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say that fighting in general benefits a grappler because their training allows them to go full blast with little holding back. For example, I can practice a heel hook to near perfection in a “fighting” situation in a gym. Even Boxers have to pull punches when they practice. This is exactly the reason Judo beat Classical Jujutsu in the 19th century in Japan.
We've talked about this same thing when training. Grapplers are lucky cause they can go 100% 100% of the time.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is hard to understand this constant argument about what system or method of training works in the street and development of effective fighters.

I believe I have seen most systems be used effectively in real combat at one the of another and have seen them not work.

Why argue, spend more time training, you are only quoting hypothesis, if you yourself have never used it in a real life situation.

And, if you haven't, your opinion really doesn't mean much. Regardless of how many sport competitions you have won, your art is still useless in the streets, if you have never fought outside of competition. IMO

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys care if wc is effective anywhere, or do you train for health, fitness, or fun.
I would think that most WC practitioners care if it is effective, yes. I enjoy training, fighting and going as hard as my body will let me. The group I train with will exchange hands with anyone, regardless of lineage or style. Not one of us cares about how well we would do in the ring, that's simply not our measurement of success.

IMO, the internet can benefit or divide the Martial Arts community. I believe this "discussion" is an example of how it can be tricky to navigate the two. If we were all speaking and working together in person, I'm sure this would have a far more productive outcome. I think the take-away should be more about how we can learn from each other; and less focus on the presumptuous declarations of styles and systems, that in the end just hold us all back from making progress.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you give an example of a strict BJJ guy, not in the lightweight divisions, who can reach the upper echelons of MMA?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you give an example of a strict BJJ guy, not in the lightweight divisions, who can reach the upper echelons of MMA?

Why did you put a qualifier on the weight class? Featherweights and Lightweights can’t make it to the upper echelons of MMA?

Latest Discussions