Non-martial MA applications

D

Despairbear

Greetings all,

I was wondering if any one else has been able to use aspects of their training in the world in a non-martial application? For example: I work as a firefighter and was in a hotel fire where the ceiling sprinklers had been running for about 30 min. The entire 2 nd and 3rd floors had about 2-3 inches of water in them. As my team rounded a corner looking for a good way to ventilate the building there was a tile floor section (very hard to see in smokey conditions) and as I stepped into it both my feet flew out from under me. Now with all the gear we wear (about 40-50 lbs including wet turnouts) and an axe in one hand, had I put one hand down and caught myself I probably would have broken my wrist. So as soon as I felt my self go I went into a hard fall and was back on my feet before the second firefighter was around the corner. Saving my self injury and embarresment. Goes along with my belife that martial art tringin should impact nearly all areas of our lives not just our ability to fight.

Despair Bear

OP
D

disciple

Ah yes, I have. I am practicing taijiquan to release my stresses and get quite some workout too :D Hopefully someday I will have enough "chi" to help curing anyone sick :eek:

salute
:asian:

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, the amazing ability to turn the lightswitch on with a snap kick as well as the back kick to close the car door when your hands are full carring groceries....:D :D :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worked on an ambulence for ten years. Its amasing how many times a gentle wrist lock or slight pressure point activity can quite a rowdy patient. More than once had to block a punch trown at me by drunks.
The calm mind set and just knowing what your capabilities are at any given time sometimes show in your whole being and can calm down a bad situation.
And yes I have done break fall, rolls and other things when playing sports.
Shadow

OP
D

Despairbear

Hehehehe

Iwas working with an EMT class and was helping them to learn about restraining a patient. We had one class volenteer who was a rather big guy and did not think we could get him restrained. And yes a little wrist lock did wonders (hehehe his eyes got real big).

Despair Bear

OP
B

Battousai

My Sensei fell 13 feet from a ladder and break falling made the fall nearly harmless. (If only his leg didn't get caught in the final rug of the ladder he would have been fine.)
I've hear of break falling helping out when hitting a tree while skiing.
For me, the entire attitude of learning that comes with martial arts has helped tremendousely in every aspect of life. I guess its kinda like after learning stuff that is so simple and hard at the same time, learning other things like computer programming and college stuff is alot easier. Its not easier to learn in itself, more like the approach to learning is alot easier from "learning how to learn martial arts." Learning how to think, tts the way to tackle all sorts of things.;)

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen a difference over the years in my attitude.

The senario:
Driving in my car and letting someone into traffic and them not saying thank you.

The solution:

Before martial arts training:
Follow them until they stopped and beat the snot out of them.

After a year and a half of martial arts training:
Follow them until they stopped, knock on their window and say, "YOUR WELCOME!"

Now:
Think to myself, "I didn't do it to be thanked."

:lol:

Take care.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris from CT

I have seen a difference over the years in my attitude.

The senario:
Driving in my car and letting someone into traffic and them not saying thank you.

The solution:

Before martial arts training:
Follow them until they stopped and beat the snot out of them.

After a year and a half of martial arts training:
Follow them until they stopped, knock on their window and say, "YOUR WELCOME!"

Now:
Think to myself, "I didn't do it to be thanked."

:lol:

Take care.

That was great, Chris! For some reason, I really enjoyed that.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions