No guns for anyone... Well, except me.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Figures, that one of the Aldermen who helped write Chicago's draconian gun laws, Dick Mell, turns out to be quite the hypocrite:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/958879,CST-NWS-mell20.article

Ald. Richard Mell forgot to re-register his guns (which reportedly include a Walther PPK like this one). No problem -- he'll just write a new law.

May 20, 2008
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Ald. Richard Mell (33rd) is a former hunter with an arsenal of weapons that reportedly features shotguns, rifles and pistols, including a Walther PPK of James Bond fame.

But there's a problem.

Mell forgot to re-register the weapons as required every year by the ordinance that he helped to pass as one of the City Council's most senior members.

So, what does an alderman do when he finds himself in violation of the law? He writes a new law. Mell has quietly introduced an ordinance that would reopen gun registration in Chicago and create a one-month amnesty for himself and other gun owners in the same predicament.

Must be nice to be the king...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When caught red-handed, there's only one honorable thing to do...

.... blame one of your subordinates! Never fails... :shrug:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
... blame one of your subordinates! Never fails... :shrug:

From the article:

"I knew it was the law. I thought it was being done [by a staff member]. If you have a person you trust to do it and they don't do it, then it doesn't get done. I'm not gonna say it's embarrassing. I'm just gonna say I should have done it," the alderman said.

Hmmm. This has an eery Paris Hilton ring to it. Honestly, if the guy is going to write legislation like this, he has to be seen modelling it. Rather than leaving it to a subordinate, he himself should invite the cameras in while he's re-registering his weapons.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to wonder just how honest he's being in the first place. I suspect he just flat-out forgot. He'd have done a lot better to just eat his mistake and own up to his own negligence, and maybe tack on a Don't you make my mistake, folks! message to make it clear that he realized he screwed up. That way, he looks like an ordinary absent-minded Joe, but not like a hypocrite, the way he now does.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are we really that surprised? Just another politician doing what politicians do best...

Latest Discussions