Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices

Tue May 20, 2008 2:27pm EDT
Reuters Story
Excerpt:

By Tom Doggett
WASHINGTON - The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved legislation on Tuesday allowing the Justice Department to sue OPEC members for limiting oil supplies and working together to set crude prices, but the White House threatened to veto the measure.
The bill would subject OPEC oil producers, including Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela, to the same antitrust laws that U.S. companies must follow.
The measure passed in a 324-84 vote, a big enough margin to override a presidential veto.
The legislation also creates a Justice Department task force to aggressively investigate gasoline price gouging and energy market manipulation.
((END EXCERPT))
Uh, first of all WE KNOW OPEC works in concert on oil, OPEC means " Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries". That they control a vast amount of petroleum reserves is nothing new.
Secondly, when we KNOW a large portion of OPEC member nations don't like us to begin with, it is, at best foolish, at worse, recklessly negligent to piss them off by threatening to sick lawyers on them.

(((SECOND EXCERPT {SAME SOURCE})))
The bill also requires the Government Accountability Office to carryout a study on the effects of prior oil company mergers on energy prices.
((End Excerpt))
Oh, so, since Standard Oil was broken up, by the government, should we blame Senator Jay Rockefeller? It is obviously the fault of those who made (inherited) fortunes from Oil Companies...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While Congressman Kagen notes that we are at the mercy of OPEC, his bill doesn't provide any new incentives to drill for and refine OUR OWN OIL, you know, something, that, unlike this idiotic bill, could actually get us OUT from under OPEC's thumbs...

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And how does he think that he can force other countries to follow our anti-trust laws. If he believes that, then other countries can force the U.S. to follow their laws as well.

Then all Iran would have to do is outlaw Chrisianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. in the U.S. and we'll all live happily ever after.

Ridiculous.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is an incredibly idiotic idea by Congress. They would be better off crafting a long term energy policy/strategy to help the US deal with petro authoritarian states like Russia, the various OPEC countries, Nigeria, Venezuela etc. They are swimming in petro dollars like never before. That's what Congress should be working on.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:scratches head: Huh?

I concur with what others have said before me on this one :tup:.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone can sue anyone. All you need is a few dollars to cover the initial court costs.

The whole lawsuit against OPEC is silly, since the US courts have absolutely no jurisdiction outside of the USA, or its territories. Basically, a US Court ruling would have the same effect in the OPEC nations, as one a court of law in Hugo Chavez's Venezuela does here in the USA.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it was either this bill or actually working and doing some unpopular stuff.

Guess which one they took?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, "forcing" democracy and human rights reforms on other nations is wrong, but, forcing our incredibly complex anti-trust laws and our friggin' lawyers on them is not?! I need and interrobang!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As much as you and I disagree in the political arena, here we've found some common ground. Thinking the US can sue other nations under US anti-trust laws is just plain stupid.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This bill will have some serious repercussions. I can see OPEC dropping output or jacking up the price. For the love of Pete! Either show me a truly viable alternative to oil or get off your populist high horse and begin drilling here (intensively) while pumping our own oil profits into finding that alternative.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all for quitting my job getting one closer to my house and buying a bicycle to get around... but then I hate my job so it could be I'm looking for an excuse :)

I did just buy a vehicle that gets slightly better mileage than what I was getting and I am seriously thinking about a hybrid for the second car or possibly even electric but in winters in the wonderful North/East I am not sure how an electric car would do.

But suing someone form another country that LIVES in another country based on the laws of the USA is just plain silly. But then the US is good at trying to force its laws and ideals on others so I am not all that surprised at this.

So I have to wonder what's next, we send traffic tickets to everyone in England for failure to keep right and driving on the wrong side of the road :D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all for quitting my job getting one closer to my house and buying a bicycle to get around... but then I hate my job so it could be I'm looking for an excuse :)

I did just buy a vehicle that gets slightly better mileage than what I was getting and I am seriously thinking about a hybrid for the second car or possibly even electric but in winters in the wonderful North/East I am not sure how an electric car would do.

But suing someone form another country that LIVES in another country based on the laws of the USA is just plain silly. But then the US is good at trying to force its laws and ideals on others so I am not all that surprised at this.

So I have to wonder what's next, we send traffic tickets to everyone in England for failure to keep right and driving on the wrong side of the road :D
Don't forget to cite them for spelling funny too. :)

Latest Discussions