No DSL for me

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I love living out in the boonies. I can shoot, play loud music all night long, listen to the coyotes, and hell, go around my property naked (so be prepared if you come to visit!). But damn, I can't get DSL, even though my phone companies website say I can. If I want to go wireless, I'll have to get a tower built, and I'm a cheap bastard.

So I guess my next option is, are those "fast" dial ups really any faster?

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No not really but do you have cable or dish or direct tv if so they have internet commection that is not that bad it is better than dial up anyway thought I would share.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No not really but do you have cable or dish or direct tv if so they have internet commection that is not that bad it is better than dial up anyway thought I would share.
Nope. Too far from civilization for cable, and would need the tower for direct TV as well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have a laptop, you may be able to get wireless broadband through Sprint or Verizon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff that is to bad. I know one of my students could not get it for the longest time. Then eventually his satellite company started a DSL program and wallah he joined the rest of us. It is coming your way it will only be a matter of time.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I love living out in the boonies. I can shoot, play loud music all night long, listen to the coyotes, and hell, go around my property naked (so be prepared if you come to visit!). But damn, I can't get DSL, even though my phone companies website say I can. If I want to go wireless, I'll have to get a tower built, and I'm a cheap bastard.

So I guess my next option is, are those "fast" dial ups really any faster?

Jeff

That sucks, Jeff. Wish I had a solution for ya.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah wireless, or cable modem......that is what I thought of immediately as well. Good luck to you bud

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are more than one form of DSL what you can not get is ADSL but what you CAN get is IDSL.

IDSL is slower and uses ISDN type architecture but it will work you end up with around 147k per second rather than oh 6.0m per second.

Still it will be FAR FAR faster than dialup.

Do a search earthlink was the best company I found doing IDSL.

--Will

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are more than one form of DSL what you can not get is ADSL but what you CAN get is IDSL.

IDSL is slower and uses ISDN type architecture but it will work you end up with around 147k per second rather than oh 6.0m per second.

Still it will be FAR FAR faster than dialup.

Do a search earthlink was the best company I found doing IDSL.

--Will
Thanks, I'll be looking into that!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff hang in there it will eventually get out your way. Like I said earlier a friend of mine just got it through his satellite company. Until a few months ago it was unavailable. It will come your way soon.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I feel your pain, for many years I lived out in the sticks no cable or DSL we didn’t even have 911 services until a few years ago. When I checked into Sat internet I was told I would have to place a tower and have dial up because the download would come from the Dish and uploads would be through dial up. On top of that they wanted $500 for a tower and another 3 or 400 for the equipment. I ended up moving to a small town closer to Dallas but my dad still lives out in that area. Last year Sprint ran a trunk line and now offers DSL and we were ten miles from anything. So I think soon you may be able to get DSL.

You might also check into internet through the power lines? I read somewhere that they were working on that I don’t know if it’s a reality yet but something to check into.

You might also check both dish companies one may offer service in placed the other will not?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is expensive. Wow!

However if you do not have any other choices.
icon9.gif

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I live in the boonies and I use the Hughes satellite system, it isn't DSL, but our phonelines are so old they only support transfer rates up to 18.8kbps, so it is the only option.

Lamont

Latest Discussions