ninjutsu & Marines

Connovar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hope I am staying on topic here. As Dale note showed grappling is very usefull and needed skills. He also corroborates the value of randori. The most common element of all street fights and most h2h combat is that grappling is necessary. As such that is why grappling training is important. It doesnt mean one only uses grappling submissions or throws.
Striking with you hands and feet or weapons is also part of h2h grappling
Taijitsu as a grappling art does have the technique. In fact the techniques are not that much different that other Jiu-jitsu systems which you would expect since they come from the same root. The major difference is the amount and use of randori to facilitate learning.

The marine program obvioulsy utilizes a fair amt of randori which was one of the authors concerns. The danger of randori to soon is that newbies tend to get excited and rely on strength only thus not only dont learn technique but are a danger to themselves and their sparring partner. However by doing it often and early one learns quickly that strength alone will not suffice. If the marine program is like most bjj programs it will consist of approx 1 hour of learning new tecniques and drilling them against increasing levels or resistance. The last half hour is usually spent doing consecutive 6 minute matches. Those relying on strength will quickly tire so technique comes to the forefront.

I believe I am keeping this on topic, if not let me know and I apologize.

Latest Discussions