Bujinkan, Genbukan?

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
After doing some online searches and stuff... I started to wonder why the Genbukan practitioners are not as active online as the Bujinkan?

I started to look if they still practiced and after coming on some old outdated sites I found that they don't make any mention of Soke, but say that Tenamura is Soke.

I don't really ever get into politics since I have started training, but I wonder why there is never any credit given to Soke?:idunno:

:ninja:
FN

This thread is not intended to cause any flame wars but try and answer some questions.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
I don't really ever get into politics since I have started training, but I wonder why there is never any credit given to Soke?:idunno:

Genbukan and Bujinkan are separate entities. Soke Hatsumi is not Soke of the Genbukan.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Part of the answer can be found here:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15397

At one time, E-Budo had a seperate area for each of the "big 3" ninjutsu groups. I believe they received requests to close some of those, which they complied with. We've found that some of the groups stay mostly to themselves, though they are always welcome here.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Soke Hatsumi is not Soke of the Genbukan.

I think he knows that. A lot of Bujinkan people seem peeved that Tanemura won't mention Hatsumi on is web sight and give credit to where he learned most of what he knows. I kind of think there might be even more screaming about using Hatsumi's name to attract students if he did make more mention of him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Historically speaking, if you've earned menkyo kaiden in any art, it's completely acceptable to go off and found your own art. In a similar vein, there have been people throughout history who earn menkyo kaiden in a system, and then begin their own branch of the system (naming themsleves soke) for whatever reason. A good example of this might be Ono-ha Itto ryu; the "ha" denotes that it's a branch.

OP
Fallen Ninja

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
So where are the Genbukan guys at? From what I have seen... they have no forum or online group. And if Soke has said he is the only one that knows all of Ninjutsu... then what the heck can they possibly be learning?

FN

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
can_of_worms.jpg

OP
Fallen Ninja

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess the red dots mean bad reputation... I'm sorry I asked. Never mind... Moderators go ahead and close this thread.

:eek:
FN

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
I guess the red dots mean bad reputation... I'm sorry I asked. Never mind... Moderators go ahead and close this thread.

:eek:
FN

That might not be a bad idea, IMHO. The information is out there for anyone who has Google...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not closing this thread, it is a legitimate question, and if no one has anything to say on the subject it will simply die.

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
So where are the Genbukan guys at? From what I have seen... they have no forum or online group. And if Soke has said he is the only one that knows all of Ninjutsu... then what the heck can they possibly be learning?

FN

The Genbukan has a forum on Tanemura Sensei's website. www.genbukan.org. Tanemura Sensei studied with Sato Kinbei Sensei after he parted ways with Hatsumi Sensei. Sato Kinbei Sensei was one of Takamatsu Sensei's personal students. Hope this helps, if not you can always search the web for more answers.

:asian:

Latest Discussions