Ninjutsu good for security agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here! I'm a 20 y/o woman and i am currently a security agent. I'm a black belt in Taekwondo but I actually stopped years ago. I want to go back in martial art and found Ninjutsu. I'm not familiar with this art so wondering if it would be good for someone with my background ? Thanks a lot!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Explain why?

If you want to stop dudes who don't want to be stopped. You have to train by stopping dudes who don't want to be stopped.

If you want to do it in a manner that does not leave them crippled. You have to train in a manner that does not leave people crippled.

Look at the video.4 guys fighting back who were effectively dealt with. And they walked away at the end.

Now that is MMA not wrestling. But it probably should be the wrestling you should focus on.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here! I'm a 20 y/o woman and i am currently a security agent. I'm a black belt in Taekwondo but I actually stopped years ago. I want to go back in martial art and found Ninjutsu. I'm not familiar with this art so wondering if it would be good for someone with my background ? Thanks a lot!

Can you define what you mean by "Security Agent"? Is that the same thing as a Security Guard? I just want to make sure that I am understanding your needs.

Cheers!

OP
S

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Can you define what you mean by "Security Agent"? Is that the same thing as a Security Guard? I just want to make sure that I am understanding your needs.

Cheers!

Yes sorry for the mistakes, i'm french

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes sorry for the mistakes, i'm french

No worries at all. That's why I wanted to double check. :)

Considering the legal liability that you could find yourself in, I would suggest exploring a program that was designed for law enforcement and then expand from there towards a martial art that you feel addresses your gaps/needs beyond that.

Something like the Gracie Survival Tactics course would be a great place to start.
Gracie Survival Tactics

I don't know what the legal situation is like in France, but in the United States, given the manner in which the art has been portrayed in popular culture, any lawyer would probably have a field day with a security guard that studied Ninjitsu. In the event that you ever have to use your skills, I would want to make sure it is something defensible in a legal sense.

I hope that is helpful for you.

Best regards,

Last edited:
OP
S

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer !
I definitly want to takes specific classes like that, but i'm also looking for something long term and that is why I looked up for martial arts as well. By the way, i'm from canada

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer !
I definitly want to takes specific classes like that, but i'm also looking for something long term and that is why I looked up for martial arts as well. By the way, i'm from canada

Ah! Well, you might be in even more luck then. The Gracie Survival Tactics is a introduction to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. With your TKD background, you already know some striking, so adding a grappling/ground fighting art into your game might not be a bad choice.

OP
S

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Ah! Well, you might be in even more luck then. The Gracie Survival Tactics is a introduction to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. With your TKD background, you already know some striking, so adding a grappling/ground fighting art into your game might not be a bad choice.

I'll check out if there is something similar available here, thanks so much.

OP
S

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Where are you at in Canada? Perhaps we can help you find a good place.

I'm in Quebec City. These places would probably be in Montreal, 3h from where i am.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Stef. :)

Charlemange is giving you good advice.

OP
S

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Stef. :)

Charlemange is giving you good advice.

Thank you, I sure am taking notes !

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Welcome along!! Nice to have you here :) x There would not be security training courses there more specific to the work than just martial arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome along!! Nice to have you here :) x There would not be security training courses there more specific to the work than just martial arts?

Normally they are tragic.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Bonjour, Stef! Comment ca va? That's about the limit of my French these days...

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Ninjutsu is an interesting art, which is taught in different ways in different schools... so just how applicable it will be for security uses will vary depending on which school you are learning at.

The major groups (authentic) are Bujinkan, Genbukan, and the Jinenkan. All of these schools trace their teachings back to Takamatsu Toshitsugu, a man claimed to be Japan's last ninja. Takamatsu-sensei was the lineal head (Soke) of a large number of martial traditions, including samurai arts (jujutsu) and ninja arts (ninjutsu)... although that's a bit more complicated than that as well....

To take the groups in reverse order, both the Jinenkan and Genbukan focus more on traditional training and methods... which don't necessarily lend themselves immediately to modern contexts and usage. The Bujinkan, on the other hand (the largest, and most widespread of the organisations) is much looser in it's hierarchy and structure... exactly what you learn, and focus on, will be in large part down to your teacher. I've seen Bujinkan dojo that are highly traditional, and ones that are almost nothing but "modern" expressions... and anywhere in between.

But the question is how applicable to security work is it? Well... that really is down to the instructor. There are a large number of Bujinkan instructors (as in any art) who have experience in security work... and, being a Japanese art, there is a large emphasis on stand-up grappling (locks, throws, chokes, pins etc), which can transfer quite well. At the end of the day, though, any art will give you more of a sense of your own bodies capabilities and limitations... although, for security, I'd aim towards a grappling art, such as judo, BJJ, or a (legitimate) Ninjutsu school. I do emphasise "legitimate", though, as there are a large number of schools who have no basis in any historical connection to Japan let alone any genuine Japanese arts.

If you do have any further questions on these topics, please post them. This area doesn't get a lot of traffic these days, and the answers commonly come from those with no experience of our arts... so I am happy to answer anything I can.

OP
S

Stef97

White Belt
Reaction score
Bonjour, Stef! Comment ca va? That's about the limit of my French these days...

Firstly, welcome aboard!

Ninjutsu is an interesting art, which is taught in different ways in different schools... so just how applicable it will be for security uses will vary depending on which school you are learning at.

The major groups (authentic) are Bujinkan, Genbukan, and the Jinenkan. All of these schools trace their teachings back to Takamatsu Toshitsugu, a man claimed to be Japan's last ninja. Takamatsu-sensei was the lineal head (Soke) of a large number of martial traditions, including samurai arts (jujutsu) and ninja arts (ninjutsu)... although that's a bit more complicated than that as well....

To take the groups in reverse order, both the Jinenkan and Genbukan focus more on traditional training and methods... which don't necessarily lend themselves immediately to modern contexts and usage. The Bujinkan, on the other hand (the largest, and most widespread of the organisations) is much looser in it's hierarchy and structure... exactly what you learn, and focus on, will be in large part down to your teacher. I've seen Bujinkan dojo that are highly traditional, and ones that are almost nothing but "modern" expressions... and anywhere in between.

But the question is how applicable to security work is it? Well... that really is down to the instructor. There are a large number of Bujinkan instructors (as in any art) who have experience in security work... and, being a Japanese art, there is a large emphasis on stand-up grappling (locks, throws, chokes, pins etc), which can transfer quite well. At the end of the day, though, any art will give you more of a sense of your own bodies capabilities and limitations... although, for security, I'd aim towards a grappling art, such as judo, BJJ, or a (legitimate) Ninjutsu school. I do emphasise "legitimate", though, as there are a large number of schools who have no basis in any historical connection to Japan let alone any genuine Japanese arts.

If you do have any further questions on these topics, please post them. This area doesn't get a lot of traffic these days, and the answers commonly come from those with no experience of our arts... so I am happy to answer anything I can.

Thank you for your answer!
I feel like the school i'm looking at right now (bujinkan) would be good because the instructor has a large background in security and he came back from a trip to japan not long ago. I would be very interested in a mix of history (genuine school) and defense fo modern context. This school actually look like a good one. I've contected the guy, asking about the same question i did here, so now lets hope he'll have an honest response as yours.

Thanks again !

Status
Not open for further replies.