Krav Maga training effectiveness

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I just started training Krav Maga once a week on top of going to the gym three times a week (thats all I can manage with school/work), and so far I'm liking it a lot. However, I feel like there's not much actual sparring during the lessons, as it's mostly technique and (even with a cup) I can't bring myself to actually hit my partner with force when practicing. I did an introductory lesson in kickboxing, where there was a lot more actual punching and contact involved, but I felt that Krav Maga was better for self defense, due to the efficiency of the strikes. My question here is is there is any way to improve my striking power and accuracy while sticking with Krav Maga? I'm not sure all this theory will help me if I'm ever in a bad situation and throw a well timed punch at the right spot but with hardly any power due to never actually practicing swinging at full strength. By the way, I don't have immediate access to a punching bag or gloves (the place I do Krav Maga uses handheld mats mostly) so I'd prefer to not have to spend loads of cash on training equipment.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You do the kick boxing on the side.
I don't have so much time. Plus I'm not sure how willing my parents would be to pay for gym membership as well as two different martial arts.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have so much time. Plus I'm not sure how willing my parents would be to pay for gym membership as well as two different martial arts.
Well why don't you pay for it yourself

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Once a week is kind of tough then. You would have to choose. And then that depends what you want out of your martial art.

Which I try to ask as where do you see yourself in 10 years

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well why don't you pay for it yourself
I'm 16, I have school work and a very low paying job. I can't work so many hours in a week so I can't afford a monthly membership for something like this.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I just started training Krav Maga once a week on top of going to the gym three times a week (thats all I can manage with school/work), and so far I'm liking it a lot. However, I feel like there's not much actual sparring during the lessons, as it's mostly technique and (even with a cup) I can't bring myself to actually hit my partner with force when practicing. I did an introductory lesson in kickboxing, where there was a lot more actual punching and contact involved, but I felt that Krav Maga was better for self defense, due to the efficiency of the strikes. My question here is is there is any way to improve my striking power and accuracy while sticking with Krav Maga? I'm not sure all this theory will help me if I'm ever in a bad situation and throw a well timed punch at the right spot but with hardly any power due to never actually practicing swinging at full strength. By the way, I don't have immediate access to a punching bag or gloves (the place I do Krav Maga uses handheld mats mostly) so I'd prefer to not have to spend loads of cash on training equipment.
I'm lost in your logic, you use focus pads in your KM, but don't punch hard? But if you do MT you do punch hard ?

as an aside, I dont see KM as being better at self defence than kickboxing, kick boxing demands great fitness and there not many better self defence skills than being able to jump in the air and hit your attacker in the face with a flying knee

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just choose one and stick with it. Both are good both will teach decent self defence skills. There's no magic wand you're not going to be unbeatable just train whatever you enjoy

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
drop the gym membership then, people were getting fit and strong long before there was a gym on every corner

if you need a punch bag make one,get rucksack or similar fill it full of sand, hang it off a tree and punch it, if its to light fill it full of wet sand

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just choose one and stick with it. Both are good both will teach decent self defence skills. There's no magic wand you're not going to be unbeatable just train whatever you enjoy
that's good advice to a middle aged man. At 16 however he should be doing the one that is most physically demanding, as its a fact that the one that requires the greater fitness will be the most effective if it comes to fighting back. If only by virtue that he will have greater fitness to fight back with

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's good advice to a middle aged man. At 16 however he should be doing the one that is most physically demanding, as its a fact that the one that requires the greater fitness will be the most effective if it comes to fighting back. If only by virtue that he will have greater fitness to fight back with
It's about what he wants maybe he doesn't want fitness

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's about what he wants maybe he doesn't want fitness
he has a gym membership , I think its safe to presume he wants fitness?
but that aside he is doing MA for self defence and is concerned that it may not be effective at self defence. The answer to that issue is to increase your fitness. The fitter you are the more effective any self defence is likely to be. Therefore the MA that requires the greater level of fitness is going to be the most effective.

at middle age getting the required fitness for kickboxing is extremely difficult, at 16 its a walk in the park

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm lost in your logic, you use focus pads in your KM, but don't punch hard? But if you do MT you do punch hard ?

as an aside, I dont see KM as being better at self defence than kickboxing, kick boxing demands great fitness and there not many better self defence skills than being able to jump in the air and hit your attacker in the face with a flying knee

What I meant was that in KM we sometimes use pads (maybe 15-20 minutes per lesson) to do warmups or cooldowns, but the majority of the lesson is done with no protective gear at all except for a cup. I'm obviously not going to punch my partner in the chest as hard as I can, even the instructor just shows us the technique without ever actually touching the guy. One of my friends does kickboxing, and he says they spar every class with protective pads. This obviously helps improve his actual striking ability and punching speed, instead of stopping a few inches short on every strike in order to not hurt your partner. In KM I'm hesitant to use much force if any, because the majority of the techniques I learn involve going for the eyes, throat, knees, etc... So I can't actually hit.

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
but that aside he is doing MA for self defence and is concerned that it may not be effective at self defence. The answer to that issue is to increase your fitness. The fitter you are the more effective any self defence is likely to be. Therefore the MA that requires the greater level of fitness is going to be the most effective.

at middle age getting the required fitness for kickboxing is extremely difficult, at 16 its a walk in the park
I agree that the fitter you are the easier it is to defend yourself, I just personally like KM more (as a form of self defense) due to the efficiency of the strikes. Also I'm Israeli so I guess there's some national pride in there too... I think I might cut back on the gym, maybe go once or twice a week instead of three times, and add a kickboxing lesson plus punching-bag training/conditioning for 2 days a week. The Dojo in my town offers a great package for that type of combination.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I meant was that in KM we sometimes use pads (maybe 15-20 minutes per lesson) to do warmups or cooldowns, but the majority of the lesson is done with no protective gear at all except for a cup. I'm obviously not going to punch my partner in the chest as hard as I can, even the instructor just shows us the technique without ever actually touching the guy. One of my friends does kickboxing, and he says they spar every class with protective pads. This obviously helps improve his actual striking ability and punching speed, instead of stopping a few inches short on every strike in order to not hurt your partner. In KM I'm hesitant to use much force if any, because the majority of the techniques I learn involve going for the eyes, throat, knees, etc... So I can't actually hit.
so what's the argument for doing KM and not kickboxing. ?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well then he has a gym membership so he's already doing his fitness work why pay more money for more fitness work. That'd be a bit of a waste since he's already paid for a gym.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that the fitter you are the easier it is to defend yourself, I just personally like KM more (as a form of self defense) due to the efficiency of the strikes. Also I'm Israeli so I guess there's some national pride in there too... I think I might cut back on the gym, maybe go once or twice a week instead of three times, and add a kickboxing lesson plus punching-bag training/conditioning for 2 days a week. The Dojo in my town offers a great package for that type of combination.
You want to do Krav Maga then do it. Simple as that really but national pride shouldn't be a factor if your looking for self defence. National pride won't save you when you're attacked

OP
N

Nadav917

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You want to do Krav Maga then do it. Simple as that really but national pride shouldn't be a factor if your looking for self defence. National pride won't save you when you're attacked
That's not what I meant. If ever in a street fight, I'd rather know how to neutralize someone as quickly as possible, which is what KM offers. However, due to the fact that practicing at full strength would very likely injure my partner, I feel as though I'm not conditioning my body for a fighting situation as much as I would be doing kickboxing, where there's consistent sparring every lesson. Thanks everyone for your answers, I've thought about it and I think I'll go with KM for the technique and kickboxing for the strength/conditioning. I should be able to fit it into my schedule if I move some things around. ;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not what I meant. If ever in a street fight, I'd rather know how to neutralize someone as quickly as possible, which is what KM offers. However, due to the fact that practicing at full strength would very likely injure my partner, I feel as though I'm not conditioning my body for a fighting situation as much as I would be doing kickboxing, where there's consistent sparring every lesson. Thanks everyone for your answers, I've thought about it and I think I'll go with KM for the technique and kickboxing for the strength/conditioning. I should be able to fit it into my schedule if I move some things around. ;)
Thing is you're training once a week and while it's better than nothing but you won't improve as much as someone who trains 3 or 4 times that's just a fact you won't. For the beginning you should just pick one and get a good solid base then look into cross training. Again do what you want but that's what I'd recommend

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that KM is any more effective than most other MA to be honest. Certainly kickboxing is very effective a neutralising people, if by neutralizing you mean causing them so much pain they stop trying to hit you

Latest Discussions