new

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Saturday classes encompass ALL of Nami Ryu. It fits together with such fluidity that you wont realize it. I'll be out in Oct. When I get there I'll email you and I'll bring you down, let you see it for yourself.

Your comment about swords reminded me of when we had some 14 yr old kid from LA come in. His dad brought him because they had been looking online and saw that James was the best. He was all determined to learn kenjutsu and what not. They did two classes. THe first day they came down we did some unarmed stuff. We also had a tameshigiri seminar later that day which they hung around and watched. The dad asked me how long I had been there and I told him. He then asked if I was cutting. I laughed and told him "heck no" I was hardly ready to cut anything. The next class they showed up for was a few weeks later. They were an hour late, and we were already working with bokken and then getting ready for unarmed stuff. We never saw them again. James is very serious about teaching.

If you make it to one class a week then make sure it's a Saturday class. PLus if James is doing a DVD then you get to help out and then all sorts of people ask you if getting your butt kicked on the dvd hurt as bad as it looked!!!:)

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome. So you're getting out of the Marines in October, not getting out of Nami-Ryu, right? I understand that it takes time to do all the cool things, but I understand that a lot of the things that you need to do those cool things are based on the fundamentals. So no, I'm not expecting to go in there and Rurouni Kenshin it out on the first day. I'll be there to learn like the other students as James is there to teach. I should be getting my raise in November so I'll definitely be able to get in on this at the very very latest November, but I'm still aiming for October and looking forward to it.

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bumblebee,

Once a week at Dojo Of The Four Winds with James Williams Sensei will still be good. Although attending all classes would be better, but if once a week is all you got then just go that day. As for his Saturday 7-10am classes, that seem to be a great day to go since he's going over 3 hours of Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu and Aikijujutsu.

I run my Nami Ryu classes twice a week, 2 1/2 hours on Friday nights and 3 hours on Sunday afternoons. Most of my students make it on Sundays and some do both days. But the ones that make it once a week only due to personal schedules, they practice at home what they learned in class daily during the week until the next time they show up to class to train and learn.

So whether you go once a week or take all the classes, be sure to practice what you learn daily to keep up and progress. One of my new students can only come on Sundays due to his work schedule and after a month he's shown improvement because he trains the material I taught him at home everyday. And everytime I see him, I make the corrections and maybe teach him a little more if he's ready.

Your time will be well worth it at Dojo Of The Four Winds. If you are interested in Japanese swordsmanship then you're in for a real treat. There is alot of depth to the art and quite the eye opener. You'll be involved with a complete Samurai bugei. It's a nice dojo with really good people there. I'll be there for 4 days in February. Maybe I'll see you then.

Sean,

Since this thread is about you, any chance you're coming to Boston? :) Let me know.
And thank you for serving.

Regards,
Walter

Latest Discussions