new

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm new, therefore I read. I train under James Williams Sensei, Dojo of The Four Winds in Encinitas Ca. I'm active duty Marine, been a Marine for ten yrs. Thanks

Sean

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I'm from Oceanside, CA, which as you know is right by the Marine Base. I was actually considering Dojo of the Four Winds. How do you like it?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm new, therefore I read. I train under James Williams Sensei, Dojo of The Four Winds in Encinitas Ca. I'm active duty Marine, been a Marine for ten yrs. Thanks

Sean

Greetings and Welcome to MT..Thank you for your service to our Country...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey: And thank you for serving our country. :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and happy posting and thank you and every soldier for protecting this great land.:asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Marine! You're in good company here...we have several former Marines active on the board. Tell us a bit more about your martial arts training. I'm also interested in the hand to hand training the the USMC is now using as it went into effect after I left the service. Fair winds and following seas.

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow, stuff about me. Um, I started training when I was around 7 or 8 in TKD. My dad did it in Korea and taught me a little. Formally started in ITA/USTA TKD when I was 15. Bert Kollars TKD Plus in Pensacola FL. I got a red belt in that stuff. Joined the Corps in 1997, got back into martial arts a little but nothing big. Began training with James at his school in Cali in 2002. I've since found the best group of guys I've ever trained with. We work alot with the military, teaching to Spec Ops and regular line troops. That's me and my training. Now for everything else.

Bumblebee
Come out to the dojo. See if it's what your looking for. I love training there, but it's not for everyone.

theletch1
My personal opinions about MCMAP are just that. My own. I think that what the army is doing in combatives is above ours at this time. The Corps went through alot to develop MCMAP, I think it had the right idea. MCMAP is supposed to be based in Goju Ryu Karate, I see some of the body hardening, but it seems to stop there. There is a big chunk about the warrior ethos and all that jazz. All you get most of the time is an old fashioned haze fest. I've seen MCMAP instructors that are great and I've seen some that stink. I think it's great as a base to something else, but that's about it.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Other than time constraints, I'm concerned on whether or not I'd be able to afford it. How much does it cost? And what would I need to buy if I did decide to start going there?

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
BB

You really dont need to buy anything. What exactly attracted you to the dojo? What do you know about it? Last time I checked it wasn't expensive to train there. What you put in is what you get out. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you would like to know more.

Sean

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
What interested me was the topics he covered. The sword arts as well as the fact that he teaches Systema. I just thought it'd be expensive due to materials and such. I'll e-mail you when I get home with some questions. This thread is supposed to be all about you. Welcome again!

OP
S

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know all about me. I'm more than happy to pass on some knowledge. James still does Systema, but it's combined with the AikiJiuJutsu of Nami Ryu to give you the System of Strategy. The principles are identical. If your interested in swordwork then you can't do much better than James. He knows his stuff. I recommend a hakama and gi top for Nami Ryu. James has bokken at the dojo, you can have your own but it's not mandatory. I used the dojo's bokken until I was ready to take it to the next level. Having a sword is not mandatory either. In fact I was about to head back east before I got my first sword. If you have more questions about Systema in general I suggest Mark Jacobsin who also posts in the RMA forums. For Nami Ryu sword questions I recommend Walter Wong. Walter is an instructor in Nami Ryu, as opposed to myself who is just a mid level student because of my deployment schedule. Hope that helps.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
That actually helps a lot. I was under the impression that I'd have to buy my own sword and there's no way that I could afford a real quality sword. I mean I have a pair of replica samurai swords. Made in China Stainless Steel. I think that says enough about the quality of those swords. Purely for decoration. I also have an antique sword that's from I think World War I that's unsharpened and grossly unbalanced. Right now I'm just gathering information. I'm content with Taekwondo, actually, I'm lying. I'm not content with Taekwondo, because I want to learn everything, but I also don't want to spread myself too thin, not to mention I have a band giving me a pretty packed schedule. It's definitely something I plan to do in the future. Hmm, in your opinion do you think it would be worth going there even if it's only once a week? Like I see on his website he has Iaijutsu, Kenjutsu, and Nami-Ryu all on Saturday from 7-10. Or would that just be information overload? If it's not too much I just might join up in October.

Latest Discussions