New way to train your form

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you tried the following form training method?

You divide your form into part 1, part 2, ... .

1. Do part 1 (for example, right front kick, left straight punch, ...).
2. Do the reverse of Part 1 (for example, left front kick, right straight punch, ...).
3. Repeat 1, 2 10 times.
4. Move into part 2 ...

The advantage of this training method are:

- You will develop both sides equally.
- You will concentrate on part of the form (more detail) than the entire form.

What's your opinion on this form training method?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You will develop both sides equally.
This will never happen to for me. I'm not built that way. I know this for a fact because I train both sides. What happens for me is that I have 2 different styles of fighting. A Left style and a Right Style. My right side does some things better than my left. My left does some things that are better than my right.

I prefer it this way because if you figure my right side out then I can switch to my left side. Now you'll have to figure out my left side. If you figure out both sides then I can blend the 2 styles.

You will concentrate on part of the form (more detail) than the entire form.
This will happen anyway. The things that you get good with first will be the things that you tend to build the foundation on. The more you use them the more you understand it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

2. Do the reverse of Part 1 (for example, left front kick, right straight punch, ...).
3. Repeat 1, 2 10 times.
4. Move into part 2 ...

Sounds like you want to study TKD. Our forms (or at least, the various form sets I am familiar with) are short (concentrate on the detail!) and were designed to develop both sides.
I'll sign you up. Don't be late for class!

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like you want to study TKD. Our forms (or at least, the various form sets I am familiar with) are short (concentrate on the detail!) and were designed to develop both sides.
I'll sign you up. Don't be late for class!
The 1st basic long fist form Tan Tui and the basic SC form were all designed this way.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

3. Repeat 1, 2 10 times.
4. Move into part 2 ...

Most of our basic forms are mirrored on each side. The more advanced Animal Forms, not so much...

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A lot of CMA is pretty one sided, and you do certain moves a lot more in one direction in your forms that others. I agree that balance is a good thing, getting even development. You could do this with forms, or you could just do it with general drills.

For experienced people I can see this being useful. For beginners though it will probably just confuse them!

Wu Bu Quan is practiced both directions to help get the basics, but it is short and pretty simple. It is designed to be a beginner routine.

I do agree with @JowGaWolf though, we all have a natural dominant side, and practicing this, and then practicing our switched position differently, is probably more reflective of how we would use it. So as in in all things, balance ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of our basic forms are mirrored on each side. The more advanced Animal Forms, not so much...
I think this makes sense. In the beginner forms you are still building foundations, learning how to strike properly with each hand and developing the right muscles for everything. Once you are able to move beyond the foundation, you can then practice stances and strikes on the sides they are more likely to appear.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure why this would be considered a "new way to train your form..." This kind of thing should always be done.... take it apart, play with it, swap things around, see what happens. Learn how to use the different parts in different ways... then put it all back together again. Even though you are doing the same moves as the form, now they should at least feel different. Then repeat the entire process...

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Left handedness is rare, probably more so in the Orient. So it was natural to design and practice techniques against a right handed attacker.

I just checked out some sites, and I found Japan has about 3% left handers. World average is 10%, though used to be lower due to us lefties once being forced to become "normal" right handed people.

My right side does some things better than my left. My left does some things that are better than my right.

.As far as MA goes, I think one should be capable of doing all moves effectively with both left and right sides. Then, practice to get even better with those moves that seem to have an affinity for our left or right.

I'm pretty ambidexterous. I use a foil left handed, katana right handed. I throw lefty, bat righty and can catch with either hand. I lead with my left or my right, depending on my tactical plan, which can change a few times per bout. I can read and write backwards OK, and even upside down. Could never do a hand stand or even a cartwheel. I took a management test at work once to see which of the 4 styles of manager I was. Expected result was a major peak for one, and a minor peak for another. My test graphed out as a straight horizontal line - all styles equally, the only one out of about a dozen testers.

I have no idea what any of this actually means. If anything, it's good to be flexible, adaptable and embrace diversity in one's self. ??? I hope I'm not as confused as all this seems to indicate. o_O

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As far as MA goes, I think one should be capable of doing all moves effectively with both left and right sides. Then, practice to get even better with those moves that seem to have an affinity for our left or right.
That's the plan on the paper but my mind and body disagree lol. My mind says make both sides even but my body says . "try this variation"

I'm pretty ambidexterous. I use a foil left handed, katana right handed. I throw lefty, bat righty and can catch with either hand. I lead with my left or my right, depending on my tactical plan, which can change a few times per bout. I can read and write backwards OK, and even upside down. Could never do a hand stand or even a cartwheel. I took a management test at work once to see which of the 4 styles of manager I was. Expected result was a major peak for one, and a minor peak for another. My test graphed out as a straight horizontal line - all styles equally, the only one out of about a dozen testers.

I have no idea what any of this actually means. If anything, it's good to be flexible, adaptable and embrace diversity in one's self. ??? I hope I'm not as confused as all this seems to indicate. o_O
FREAAKKK!!! ha ha ha. I think it's cool that you have that type of balance. The same person no matter how you stand. Right foot forward, I'm one thing, Left foot forward I'm something else. I still train both sides and I refer to my left side as the "goofy side. " The only thing I can do equally with my both my hands is eat, drink, and pick my nose lol

Latest Discussions