New to kenpo

jesters_tools

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all!
my whole family and I are going to start our Tracy kenpo lessons this thursday. I don't have much of a martial arts background but I can't wait to start. I am 36 so I feel I am getting a late start, but not TOO late(I hope). What I would like to know is what is the differences in the different styles of kenpo and is there any real advantages/disadvantages of Tracy's to the other styles?
Jesse

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't speak to the differences in kenpo styles, but as to starting late, that's about the same age that I started Ed Parker's kenpo, it didn't seem to hurt me to be starting that "late" one bit! Granted I have no phyiscal issues/concerns, partly because I didn't abuse my body with competitive sports when I was younger:).

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry about disadvantages right now. It is a solid, legit style and, in my opinion, a very good one. It will be educational for you to learn the differences in kenpo styles, but not detrimental.
As for 36 being late, I completely disagree. I think the best time to start martial arts is between 15-40. That's a big range and it is different for some people, but those are the ages I stick to.
Good luck and keep us posted here at MartialTalk on your experiences!

AoG

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're too new to worry about differences and such. Go in, have fun, & start your step towards a new journey in life.
Hope your class goes well.

Come back and let us know how it went.

OP
J

jesters_tools

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of support guys! I will keep you posted as how it goes. It is me, my wife and my 2 boys, one is 6 and the other is 13. The lil one will be in a seperate class of course,but we are all looking forward to it. (me more than anyone!):)
Jesse

OP
J

jesters_tools

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is a link to the website for the studio in my area. The web site is not very informative, but it does give the location and the instructors name and rank and what not. www.tracyskarate2.com.
Jesse

OP
J

jesters_tools

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, we had our first lesson and the whole family LOVED it! The Sinsai was very patient with my 6 year old and very thorough in his explainations. I am really looking forward to our next lesson!
Jesse

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enjoy your journey in the art and do not worry much about the different variations of Kenpo systems till you have been in the art a while. You will find much that is good in most of them (politics aside).
It is good to see a family start in the arts together. May you all have a long and wonderful experience in you studies.

OP
J

jesters_tools

White Belt
Reaction score
Enjoy your journey in the art and do not worry much about the different variations of Kenpo systems till you have been in the art a while. You will find much that is good in most of them (politics aside).

That is sound advice. I am reading everything I can find on the net about Tacy kenpo. It doesn't seem to be as popular as a couple of the other styles. It may just have less presence on the web. If you guys say that it is a good solid style then that is enough for me........for now!:)Is kenpo a mix of kung fu and Jiu-Jitsu? That is what my Sinsai told me, but it seemed more complicated than that when I was reading info on the web.Maybe a self induced confusion on my part?
Jesse

Latest Discussions