New to Kenpo..Need advice

B

BuddhaGirl

Hello everyone...

I am very new to Kenpo. Last week I took my first two lessons. I am a 40 something woman who has always had an interest in the Martial Arts, but never attempted it until now. My first two lessons were pretty good and the teacher was great, but the first lessons were kind of rushed. Basically the teacher took me aside and taught me some “basic” punches and blocks. I got them at the time but I felt a bit overwhelmed with so much information in such a short time. Afterwards I had him write down the names of the punches and blocks he taught me, figuring I could go home and look them up on the internet and perhaps find something describing how these are done so I can practice at home. My brain just did not retain everything he taught me during these first two classes (maybe it’s the age). The next class I take I will be put in with everyone else (guys ranging from yellow to brown belts) and I am fearful I just won’t be able to keep up.

I asked the teacher if there was a book on Kenpo that showed/described the basics and beyond and he said no. So in my search I found this board. I have enjoyed reading the posts and will probably learn a lot here in the future, but right now I am confused. This is not just a passing phase for me, I am serious about learning the art and progressing. But unless I can retain and learn the basics I fear I will just be a burden in class.

So I guess what I am asking here (in a round-about way) is where can I find something that will describe how to do the basic moves so as I learn then quickly during the course of the class, I will be able to come home and really learn them. In searching I find a lot of information on forms and detailed descriptions of belt requirements, but the very basics are no where to be found.

The punches and blocks I was taught are as follows:

Straight Thrust Punch, Straight snap punch, vertical thrust punch, vertical snap punch, hammer inward block, vertical outward block, extended outward block, inside downward block (palm up), outside downward block, inside downward block (palm down), pushdown.

My head is swimming with all this and I really need some clarity here. Any help or advice as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. And please excuse my beginners ignorance.

Thanks...
Kerry

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can get a lot of good advice here. Given that you've only had two classes, you're feeling exactly the way I would expect you to feel. There are books and information available, a great deal of it here, in fact but my advice would be to just lose yourself in the process. Over the next few weeks, things will start to sink in and you won't feel so rushed and lost. Basically, you're at the starting point of learning how to learn.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Where are you, what style of Kenpo, name of rank of your instructor and their instructor. You've given us a pretty generic setting in which to accurately answer your questions.

DarK LorD

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk! I am a 39 year old female and very much involved with Kenpo.

Don't worry too much right now about trying to retain all these things at first. You will be repeating these over and over and over and over again all through your training. What you learned are the very basic movements and they are involved in everything we do (techniques, forms, and sets).

Kenpo can seem overwhelming. As time goes on, things will continue to become better. The more advanced you go, the more your mind and body will be trained to absorb all these knowledge. In other words, you learn how to learn, and eventually will become second-nature.

If you are looking for books, a very good resource is "Infinite Insights", a five-book series written by Mr. Ed Parker. It explains the history, background, basics, concepts, and principles. Good stuff.

Feel free to ask here with any questions you may have regarding Kenpo.

:wavey:

- Ceicei

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm 37 and began Kenpo last summer. It is overwhelming in the beginning. Very overwhelming. The owners and instructors at my school have said that being a white belt is the hardest...until one gets to black, then one feels like one has become a white belt all over again.

I actually agree with jdinca...try losing yourself in the process. It is a humbling experience and it can be frustrating, but you will learn and grow from here.

It does take time to learn, but you will be going over these over and over...perhaps so many times that you may be instructor for more material to do.

Remember Tiger Balm is your friend :D

Wishing you a great journey!

Carol

rziriak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are in the first phase of your journey. This is called the Mechanical stage or embryonic. Your body is learning things it has never had to before. You will be teaching your body to move in ways you've only dreamed of up until now. This is the most frustrating portion of your journey. Remember to incorporate your mind, body and spirit as you learn this incredible art called Kenpo. Your mind will be challenged to think beyond all boxes. Your body will be challenged and pushed to the limits. Your spirit, or who you are at the very core of your being, will be challenged to expand to new and explosive potential. If any of this makes sense, I hope it encourages you to stick with it and enjoy every step of your journey into the world of Kenpo.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rziriak said:
You are in the first phase of your journey. This is called the Mechanical stage or embryonic. Your body is learning things it has never had to before. You will be teaching your body to move in ways you've only dreamed of up until now. This is the most frustrating portion of your journey. Remember to incorporate your mind, body and spirit as you learn this incredible art called Kenpo. Your mind will be challenged to think beyond all boxes. Your body will be challenged and pushed to the limits. Your spirit, or who you are at the very core of your being, will be challenged to expand to new and explosive potential. If any of this makes sense, I hope it encourages you to stick with it and enjoy every step of your journey into the world of Kenpo.

Beautifully said.

We all felt this way at the beginning of our martial arts journey. I remember once looking at yellow belts in awe. The test of your character is not whether or not you are a "natural" and pick everything up quickly, it is how well you persevere through these difficult first steps. Best wishes on your journey.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:
Hello everyone...

I am very new to Kenpo. Last week I took my first two lessons. I am a 40 something woman who has always had an interest in the Martial Arts, but never attempted it until now. My first two lessons were pretty good and the teacher was great, but the first lessons were kind of rushed. Basically the teacher took me aside and taught me some “basic” punches and blocks. I got them at the time but I felt a bit overwhelmed with so much information in such a short time. Afterwards I had him write down the names of the punches and blocks he taught me, figuring I could go home and look them up on the internet and perhaps find something describing how these are done so I can practice at home. My brain just did not retain everything he taught me during these first two classes (maybe it’s the age). The next class I take I will be put in with everyone else (guys ranging from yellow to brown belts) and I am fearful I just won’t be able to keep up.

I asked the teacher if there was a book on Kenpo that showed/described the basics and beyond and he said no. So in my search I found this board. I have enjoyed reading the posts and will probably learn a lot here in the future, but right now I am confused. This is not just a passing phase for me, I am serious about learning the art and progressing. But unless I can retain and learn the basics I fear I will just be a burden in class.

So I guess what I am asking here (in a round-about way) is where can I find something that will describe how to do the basic moves so as I learn then quickly during the course of the class, I will be able to come home and really learn them. In searching I find a lot of information on forms and detailed descriptions of belt requirements, but the very basics are no where to be found.

The punches and blocks I was taught are as follows:

Straight Thrust Punch, Straight snap punch, vertical thrust punch, vertical snap punch, hammer inward block, vertical outward block, extended outward block, inside downward block (palm up), outside downward block, inside downward block (palm down), pushdown.

My head is swimming with all this and I really need some clarity here. Any help or advice as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. And please excuse my beginners ignorance.

Thanks...
Kerry

First off, Welcome to the forum and welcome to the beginning of your long journey in the art of Kenpo!

Its perfectly normal to feel a bit overhelmed when you're first beginning. One thing to keep in mind, is that you will probably feel that way for a little while, so doin't let it get to you. Take your time. Everyone learns at his/her own pace, so do your best to remember what you can. It seems like you were taught quite a bit during your first lesson. IMO, it may have been a little too much for the first class. There may be slight differences in the way others execute material compared to what you're learning, but we'll certianly do our best to help you out. As its been said, these strieks will usually be done at some point during class, so that would be the best way to learn how to do them. Get to gether with some other students of the instructor, and see if they can spend a few min. before or after class to go over things with you.

Good luck with your training!

Mike

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk. Sounds like your very excited about what you are doing. Great feeling! Try to enjoy the ride and don't worry about the destination. Many of the people on this board will tell you even after decades on the "road" they haven't gotten "there" yet. The ride is the most important part.

Funakoshi Gichin at 85 years old stated during a class he was giving that he finally understood a movement he was practicing for 45 years.
fun3.jpg

It really is all about walking the road. Enjoy it as you only get one crack at it...

iwa1.jpg
http://www.hyoho.com/iwa1.jpg

Regards,
Walt

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's GOOD advice no matter what level of the martial arts you are embarking upon:
RELAX.
:)
What you are experiencing is very common, no matter the age. Just keep going. Don't worry about "keeping up", because it's not a race and it's your instructors job to help you, over time, to know and understand every facet, especially these fundamental things. You will make it. Even the Masters were at one time a white belt, trying desperately to understand how to tie that darn belt right!
1. Relax.
2. KEEP going! (perseverance counts for a LOT)
3. Pay attention and BE RECEPTIVE. If you mentally berrate yourself for getting something wrong or for not remembering something....you'll Not be receptive, you'll be inside your own head getting after yourself. Though a martial artist should aim their efforts toward perfection.... it's also important to NOT be a "Perfectionist". Learn from mistakes..but keep the flame high and do you best anyway. Everyone messes up!! The Great people are the ones who get back up the Most and get back at it w/out delay.
4. Relax!!!

Also: IF you're school/instructor(s) provide or offer "Private Lessons" TAKE THEM!! Give youself a gift and a step up! Private lessons, especially early on, can have a tremendous impact on your progress! EVEN if they are more expensive, you'll probably be glad you did. (providing your instructor is even half-way decent)

OH...and welcome to Martial Talk. Carry a grain of salt and a heap of common sense through these pages and you'll probably enjoy it a lot.
There's good information and bad...
Very informed people, and the deluded...
Good personalities and horrible egos....
.........discern for yourself!
but enjoy!!

Your Brother
John

OP
B

BuddhaGirl

Wow what great responses! I feel better already.

Someone asked what style I was learning. It is American Kenpo and my teacher is a 5th degree black belt. I am not sure what his teacher was.

In retrospect I do think I may be over-thinking things. When I become involved in something, I tend to throw myself into it 110% and want to learn everything about it and want to be "perfect" (it's the Capricorn in me). I guess I need to just learn to cut myself some slack and as you all have said, enjoy the journey.

I think part of this is in the past 11 months I have lost 150 pounds. So I am now able to do things with my body that for most of my adult life I could not because I weighed over 300 pounds. I was never a physical person or interested in fitness, it just didn't work. Now I am addicted to moving and getting stronger and want to prove I can do these things. That is what originally made me want to learn a martial art. Not to mention the self defense aspect and the discipline.

One thing I noticed during my first two lessons (which were free introductory lessons by the way) was that when the teacher explained to me what the block was intended to do, meaning he would show me the attack it would defend, then it stuck with me. I could relate it to an actual defensive mechanism as opposed to just a random movement made in the air. And I also seemed to carry the move out better when actually blcoking his advance. Oh, I forgot to add that he also showed me the Star Block series of moves (which I couldn't tell you anything about at this point..brain block).

I am a bit nervous about Tuesdays lesson. It will be my first with the whole class. After my introductory lessons I sat and watched the actual class and the other instructor who was teaching it really put these guys through their paces, and that was before they even did anything remotely related to Kenpo. I am talking about the warm up. It must have lasted a half an hour. He had them do 100 jumping Jacks, sit ups, push ups (3 different kinds), running in place etc. I was very intimidated. I am sure I will drop over dead just from the attempt of 100 jumping jacks. I go to the gym every day and do cardio and strength training, but geez. So I am more concerned about the warm up then I am the actual Kenpo training. Silly huh?

I am really looking forward to learning more and I don't plan on giving up. I guess I just need to relax and enjoy it and focus on the task at hand. As someone said I need to get out of myself and stop focusing on my comfort level and focus on the skill I am learning.

Thanks for all the advice, I look forward to talking with you all more and sharing this journey with you.

Kerry

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kerry,

First, welcome.

Second, as some said, relax.

As you begin, please keep in mind that your are endeavoring this task for personal reasons. You do not need to keep up with the calesthenics of those studying for two, three, four or more years. You need to do what you are capable and comfortable doing; right now. Be the tortise, not the hare.

The material will take some time to learn. That's OK. As a new student, you have very little, or no frame of reference, on which to apply this new information. That is what makes it difficult to remember. It is also why, when you are shown an attack, the defense is easier to remember; the two correlate. This is a difficult task for adult learners; to absorb and give meaning to something that is very new to them; outside their experience.

Just keep showing up, and you will begin to absorb, and give meaning to the material.

And, to give you a couple of, hopefully, helpful tips.

The moves you learned in your first class are called 'Basics'. A basic is a single move. Learning these basics well, will result in performing Kenpo well. Strong Basics equals Strong Techniques. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification, over and over again, until you comprehend what your teacher is saying.

The Star Block Set is a series of blocks. It is generally practiced in a Training Horse Stance, which is designed for training from the waist. Perform this series of moves, first with your Right Hand, then with your Left Hand, and then some instructors have you do both hands together.
  • upward block
  • hammering inward block
  • extended outward block
  • downward block
  • rear elbow strike
  • push down
Good Luck and have fun.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:
One thing I noticed during my first two lessons (which were free introductory lessons by the way) was that when the teacher explained to me what the block was intended to do, meaning he would show me the attack it would defend, then it stuck with me. I could relate it to an actual defensive mechanism as opposed to just a random movement made in the air. Kerry
B I N G O !!!!!!!!!
Things that are learned w/in a context are the things that you understand the best!!!!
Good point! Always try to learn a thing w/in it's proper context.... OR relate it to something similar that you already know!

and....CONGRATS, big-time, on your weight Loss!!!!!!!!! You really should be Proud of that! Good goin!

Your Brother
John
PS: Keep us updated on your journey!​

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome, this place is great I have been given so much good advice and everyone is so nice and understanding. I also wanted to say congratulations on your weight loss. And welcome to Kenpo an art that will change your life.

In reading your post you sounded exactly like me 10 months ago. My head was swirling with information overload. I was frustrated lost and wondering how I was going to make heads or tails out of all the information I was given. But don’t give up that is normal, Kenpo is something best learned a little at a time. When I started I wanted to soak it all in and take the ball and run. My instructor stood up in front of the class and told us a story that he had been told early in his training. He said that we as students were like a sponge if you take a dry sponge and drop it in a cup of water and pull it out quickly most of the water will stay in the cup. He said Kenpo is like that he will show us a lot of info at first and most will not soak in. But over a little time we will pick up a little here then a little the next class until soon we have soaked up all of the info/water in the cup.

So my best advice I can give is keep your chin up it gets easier. And for what it is worth I was very nervous about group class at first too, but now I just have a bunch of new friends.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its ok you are experiencing what everyone of us experienced at one point or another, its normal. It will all fall into place, depending on what particular branch of American Kenpo you do, you may want to invest in a video library for reference, such as, Mohammed Tabatabai or Larry Tatum's series. Best of luck in your training.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kerry,

It's not at all silly to be concerned or intimidated about the warmup!

Your belt is an easy way to communicate the expectation level that is expected of you. You are a new student. Your instructors do not have any expectations of you because they haven't even had a chance to see what your capabilities are. Your instructors will be learning more about you as you learn more about Kenpo and the way they teach. Right now, the only thing that is expected of you is that you show up with a good attitude, and see you try.

When I started, I could do a couple of pushups in a row, max. So, that's what I did. If all you can do is pushups from the knee (less weight than pushups done with legs fully extended), then just do those.

Do the warmup at your own pace.

The warmups will vary. Some will be easier than others. Some will be longer than others. But do them at your own pace. If you push your body too hard, it will rebel and leave you feeling terrible for a few days. It may take weeks or it may take months to keep up with the class during warmup. But progress with what works for your body.

You do not sound like a person that is lazy or takes the easy way out. Losing 150 pounds is an incredible accomplishment, and I'm sure it was nothing that was easy or quick. Your instructors will see this spirit in you. So will your classmates. Believe me, no one will be counting the number of jumping jacks that you do, or wondering why you aren't doing a gazillion pushups in 3 seconds. You participate to the vibe of the class by making the effort to do your best.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BuddhaGirl said:
I am a bit nervous about Tuesdays lesson. It will be my first with the whole class. After my introductory lessons I sat and watched the actual class and the other instructor who was teaching it really put these guys through their paces, and that was before they even did anything remotely related to Kenpo. I am talking about the warm up. It must have lasted a half an hour. He had them do 100 jumping Jacks, sit ups, push ups (3 different kinds), running in place etc. I was very intimidated. I am sure I will drop over dead just from the attempt of 100 jumping jacks. I go to the gym every day and do cardio and strength training, but geez. So I am more concerned about the warm up then I am the actual Kenpo training. Silly huh?

Kerry

Don't be afraid of the warmup. Give it your all, and don't worry if you cannot do everything. Keep with it, you will get stronger and eventually it will be no problem. Everyone starts somewhere, and if the teachers and classmates are respectable, then they should show you the respect for simply giving it your best effort and not giving up.

Congratulations on your fitness accomplishments. This is the kind of thing that should be an inspiration for many people. I work in an office with a gentleman who recently lost probably 200 pounds on a physician supervised diet and exercise program. I have seen firsthand the change in his life. He is, literally, half the man he used to be. It is unbelievable how this kind of thing can impact your life in many positive ways, from a health standpoint and an emotional standpoint.

Congratulations, and welcome to a new world.

OP
B

BuddhaGirl

Everyone here has been so kind. That's one thing I noticed about the martial arts community in just a short time. From the moment I walked in the door of the school up to and including this message board, everyone has been very welcoming and there is a nice warm feeling of community amongst martial artists. It makes me feel good about becoming a part of this community.

My teacher is a very nice man and seems very knowledgable. The other fellows in the class seemed very nice as well. I didn't get the feeling they were looking at me wondering what this woman was doing there.

I have been asked which style of American Kenpo the school teaches. I don't know this. The web site for the school is http://www.womaa1.com/skkii.html, maybe someone can tell me what style it is.

I feel so much better after reading all your replies. I now have more confidence going in there on Tuesday.

Another question (or two). On Tuesday I get my uniform. The teacher also asked me if I wanted to order a Yellow Belt manual. It supposedly shows what is required to acquire a yellow belt. Is this something worth investing in, or is this information I can find anywhere? Also, in doing some of these moves during the first two classes I realized I am probably the most uncoordinated person on the face of the earth. I was ok when doing something with one hand, but when it came time to do two hands in repetition, I fumbled like a toddler. For example when I had to return one hand back to my side and continue to do something with the other hand, I kept facing the palm down or placing it in the wrong position. Like I couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Will coordination come in time, or is there other training that can help me in this area? Any special exercises that help with this?

Kerry

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, order the manual.

While much of what it contains is probably available on this site, there are variations taught all over the country. If you are going to work at that studio, you will need to know the way they execute the information.

You could probably choose to keep a notebook on your own, and build your 'Yellow Belt Manual', and save the cost of the manual.

It is often a difficult conversation to ask how much learning Kenpo costs. Is there a fee for testing? What is it? Is it the same fee for every belt level? Is there a cost for the technique manual? What is it? Is it the same for every belt level? Are these fees strictly to the studio, or do they also cover the cost of the Association? These costs can add up, especially above your normal monthly obligation. It is a delicate question and some schools don't like to publish answers.

As for feeling un-coordinated; you are doing something that is completely new to you ... of course you will feel uncoordinated. Don't sweat it. Just go slow, trying your best, that is all anyone will expect. I have been studying for five years, and still have questions about Long Form 1.

Kenpo is much like an onion, there is always another layer. Just keep working on the layer you are at now ... you will get to the deeper levels in time.

Latest Discussions