New study shows retention of muscle mass in athletic masters, so keep up with Taekwondo!

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is an encouraging study and one that I can add my own data point to.

My father lost one of his legs as a young boy and, as a result, has always had an immensely strong upper-body from having to use his arms as 'legs' when it was just less bother to get around with them than strapping on his prosthetic limb. Until very recently (he is in his late 70's) he has been nearly as powerful and energetic as he ever was. That's the good news. The bad part of the tale is that a couple of years ago he had some trouble with his heart which curtailed his physical activity and, all of a sudden (to my eyes), he became an 'old man' for the first time.

So I suppose the lesson is that, if we at all can, we must keep active to stay active - like some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, if we accept our ageing then our ageing will claim us.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is an encouraging study and one that I can add my own data point to.

My father lost one of his legs as a young boy and, as a result, has always had an immensely strong upper-body from having to use his arms as 'legs' when it was just less bother to get around with them than strapping on his prosthetic limb. Until very recently (he is in his late 70's) he has been nearly as powerful and energetic as he ever was. That's the good news. The bad part of the tale is that a couple of years ago he had some trouble with his heart which curtailed his physical activity and, all of a sudden (to my eyes), he became an 'old man' for the first time.

So I suppose the lesson is that, if we at all can, we must keep active to stay active - like some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, if we accept our ageing then our ageing will claim us.

Wow. Sounds like your father is quite a man. And, yes, I think we create ourselves in every moment. What we do, what we say, what we believe, what we think, what we value....all these moments combine to create who we are. Life is short. We only have so much time to become, to be, and to do. Taekwondo helps me and many others try to make every day count.

Cynthia

Latest Discussions