New students from

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had anew student come in today from out of state lives here now and wants training the question is this" would you let someone start as a BB even though they have not trained since they where 15 and is a Kukkiwon 1st and seems eager to start up again. He says he still remember everything and been taking classes in college but they do ITF and not WTF. What would you do, me I willjust watch him over the next couple of weeks and go from there.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
We had anew student come in today from out of state lives here now and wants training the question is this" would you let someone start as a BB even though they have not trained since they where 15 and is a Kukkiwon 1st and seems eager to start up again. He says he still remember everything and been taking classes in college but they do ITF and not WTF. What would you do, me I willjust watch him over the next couple of weeks and go from there.
Terry

I was in that similiar situation when I was in college. Only my instructor had moved away & my only choice was an ITF school. I was a Kukkiwon 1st Dan, but I was fresher than your new student. If he remembers the forms & his KKW is legit, I see no problem with welcoming him as a 1st Dan. I'm not saying give him the keys to your Buick, but accept him as a 1st Dan. If he's "teachable" as GM Sell has asked me, he may be as good for you as you as you are for him.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I was in that similiar situation when I was in college. Only my instructor had moved away & my only choice was an ITF school. I was a Kukkiwon 1st Dan, but I was fresher than your new student. If he remembers the forms & his KKW is legit, I see no problem with welcoming him as a 1st Dan. I'm not saying give him the keys to your Buick, but accept him as a 1st Dan. If he's "teachable" as GM Sell has asked me, he may be as good for you as you as you are for him.

Iceman how is it goingwith GM Sells and does he offer you Kukkiwon certs. for a fair price.
Terry

Tswolfman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why wouldnt you honor his rank if he earned it? Even if it was a while ago. He would just need a longer time to fressen up before any possiblity of higher advancement.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Iceman how is it goingwith GM Sells and does he offer you Kukkiwon certs. for a fair price.
Terry

I'm really happy with everything I've seen in the USCDKA. His prices are quite reasonable for Kukkiwon certs. I'm headed to the National Conference in Florida on Wednesday & I'm really excited. As I said in a previous thread, GM Park, Hae Man will be there also.

I'd highly recommend that you look into it, Terry. Its solid stuff.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
terryl965 said:
Terry

Good choice! It's ultimately up to you as the instructor, and how you evaluate him.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
...would you let someone start as a BB even though they have not trained since they where 15 and is a Kukkiwon 1st ...What would you do...Terry

Master Stoker,

It is my opinion, and the way I have been taught, once a 1st Dan Black Belt has been legitimately earned, it is held for life. You can not rightfully deny, or take away this rank. If a Black Belt has done something to dishonor themself, an instructor, or organization can say that the Black Belt individual is no longer a "student in good standing" with that organization.

If a person has earned a Black Belt from an independant school or organization (other than official Kukkiwon), then the standards might be in question. In that case, I would look at the person's technique, knowledge, and attitude, check the authenticity of their certificate with their former instructor or organization, then offer to let them decide if they want to pick up where they left off, start over as a white belt, or assume any rank they feel confident with up to 1st Dan. Then, take as long as you need to prepare them for their next test.

When a new student comes from another school with relatively legitimate rank of any level, it is not so much important where you place them, but that they feel welcome, and that their past efforts, and training are not being disrespected, or stomped on by their new instructor. The important thing is that the student is willing to learn from you, without contradicting everything as to his/her previous training ("empty their cup"), and they are patient enough to train as long as it takes to get to the standard that you require for the next level.

For a Kukkiwon certified Black Belt, I would verify it's authenticity, then accept their rank without question.

That's what I would do. :asian:
CM D. J. Eisenhart

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
For a Kukkiwon certified Black Belt, I would verify it's authenticity, then accept their rank without question.

Well said. He earned the rank and there is no time limit on it. Terry, I'd assume he's going to have some rust, but that just means he's got a bit of catching up to do. You absolutely should honor it, IMHO.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Well said. He earned the rank and there is no time limit on it. Terry, I'd assume he's going to have some rust, but that just means he's got a bit of catching up to do. You absolutely should honor it, IMHO.

Oh please guys don't get me wrong I'm going to honor it, just wanted to see evrybody elses take on the subject. He seem to be a great young man he even said he is rusty and needs some time to get it back. Real enthusiactic fellow and has a wonderful attitude to go along with him, it would be a pleasure training him.
terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Oh please guys don't get me wrong I'm going to honor it, just wanted to see evrybody elses take on the subject. He seem to be a great young man he even said he is rusty and needs some time to get it back. Real enthusiactic fellow and has a wonderful attitude to go along with him, it would be a pleasure training him.
terry

But still don't give him the keys to the Buick.:)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I let anyone who has earned a black belt in a similar style to wear their rank. If a judo black belt were to come to my class, they'd wear a white belt since the arts are not similar. I recently had a 3rd dan TSDin start training with me-he can wear his belt. If this new student is college-age, I am assuming he is pretty fit and will have no problem regaining his prior abilities.

Congratulations Terry that he chose to train with you and vice-versa!

Miles

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well you can tell that student that he needs to regain some of the old flexibility and endurance, so have him start as an intermediate and promote him as you see suitable. if he stalls then keep him there or demote him, but if it's too easy for him promote him.

also, when you promote people, dont you test them?
if you do then run him through all of the tests that you have to make sure he can do it, and he's physically fit enough to continue.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a older gentlemen come in after YEARs of not doing anything but he had been a black belt. He couldn't remember any form, self defense etc. and physically couldn't do much. But he tried and worked hard for a year. His back gave out on him and finally with doctors orders he had to quit again.

Give the young man time and let him work up to speed. Yes, once a black belt always a black belt. How would the law view a previous black belt if in self defense he did a perfect sidekick and broke a knee? He would still have that knowledge and maybe the skill. But once tested on it, then he has that capability. It just depends who tested him and what his previous requirements were. You could check out the previous school and instructor but you still have him to teach under your requirements. One a good note, its always good to have new people and if he came back after college then he may be a serious student for life. TW

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not take away rank, especially if it is an official KKW, ATA, ITF rank 1st Dan. But they would be sweating and sitting at that rank for a while.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I decided to train under another instructor, I would have no problem placing my black belt to the side, wearing a white belt, and conducting myself as a white belt. I am there to LEARN from another instructor. This does not mean I have suddenly forgotten my past training. It just means I am opening my mind up to learn a different perspective and gain knowledge.

Does the prospective student just want a place to wear his black belt around, or does he intend to learn from you? You need to decide which is more important. If has earned his black belt in the same curriculum you are teaching, there is really no need to deal with the top sentence, he has already shown a background of learning in your system.

R. McLain