Kicking Shoes???

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I may need to wear inserts while I'm practicing because of a back injury. Can anyone recommend some shoes that would be great to kick with? I know that some TKDers wear very light shoes when they practice...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, there are shoes designed for TKD. Wrestling shoes are also good, give some ankle support as well and hold up a little better.

You will have to get used to kicking in them, start slow. If you're not used to the extra grip and don't pivot where you usually do you could end up with a rather sore knee ;)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with the Penguin. Wrestling shoes are probably your best bet if you're gonna use an orthotic.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do wrestling shoes pivot well? I have Adidas shoes with the double turning points on the sole which I just wear at tournaments. They fit close to the foot but they have a foam sole which could be taken out for the orthotic. May need a size up. I have worn an orthotic with a running shoe but you would need one with a smooth sole at least. TW

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
I have bad ankles and I wear the Optomix Stingers. Love 'em and they last.

Hey, those might work for my wife! She has bad ankles. How do those shoes support the ankles?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wear Adidas TKD 2000 shoes and really like them. A pair will last nearly a year. I've heard good things about Discipline's shoes but have never had a pair.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with miles on this one but my pair has lasted almost two year great shoe's.
terry

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
If you need inserts, then you'll need shoes that are designed as close to normal shoes as possible. I would say check out Otomix, or try the shoes from Bushido, they are exactly like the converse mesh ones. Those were always my favorite.

CMS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had a pair of Wrestling shoes, (Asiatics, I think) for almost four years now. They work great, are relatively cheap and available at most sporting goods stores. They have better ankle support than most martial arts shoes I've seen.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I wear Adidas TKD 2000 shoes and really like them. A pair will last nearly a year. I've heard good things about Discipline's shoes but have never had a pair.

Miles

The back of the sole on my 2000's started to tear away after the first week. Very disappointing. I'm partial to Pro Specs but they're hard to find. Around here anyway.

I really like the Deciplines. We're not allowed to wear them in our school because of the raking factor that laces can produce, but if that isn't a concern, they're a top quality shoe at a very good price. I would strongly recommend them to anyone.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Hey, those might work for my wife! She has bad ankles. How do those shoes support the ankles?

They are a lace up high top. It is just enough extra support. They also have ones that go up a little higher (like a boxing sneaker).

Latest Discussions