New school

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I honestly don't feel like anyone was being harsh. I appreciate all the different perspectives as it gives me more to consider. I agree with those saying that my frustration lies more with myself then this student. It's true, athletics and martial arts has always come easily to me. I think I should approach this as a challenge for me to gain more patience, understanding, and acceptance. Again, I apprciate everyone's view on this thread and don't mind the direct or blunt responses, they are actually helpful to me. I guess I need to be respectful of this student's individual journey and stay more concerned with my own instead of comparing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

See my previous posts...

In the last year I feel I've progressed hugely in TKD.

In kickboxing? Not so much... Fitness is still improving (slowing down as time goes on, diminishing returns and all that) but technique wise I don't think I've come on all that much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I honestly don't feel like anyone was being harsh. I appreciate all the different perspectives as it gives me more to consider. I agree with those saying that my frustration lies more with myself then this student. It's true, athletics and martial arts has always come easily to me. I think I should approach this as a challenge for me to gain more patience, understanding, and acceptance. Again, I apprciate everyone's view on this thread and don't mind the direct or blunt responses, they are actually helpful to me. I guess I need to be respectful of this student's individual journey and stay more concerned with my own instead of comparing.
As long as the other person is trying, it's their journey, so hang onto the attitude you show in this post. And when you are working with someone who is not at your level (whether because they are new, because they are slow to progress, or because they aren't trying very hard), use it as a challenge to find something at their level you need to work on. There will always be something.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a student who has been training with us for about 2 years. He comes, he participates, he tries... he just doesn't make a lot of progress. I admit; sometimes I get frustrated as he needs something repeated yet again... but I'm not throwing him out the door. Things don't come easy for everyone. He keeps trying. Maybe he's a lesson for me that I need to keep trying, too...

It probably frustrates classmates, too... but he brings a positive energy, he sometimes asks good questions... and he's helpful in many other ways.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a student who has been training with us for about 2 years. He comes, he participates, he tries... he just doesn't make a lot of progress. I admit; sometimes I get frustrated as he needs something repeated yet again... but I'm not throwing him out the door. Things don't come easy for everyone. He keeps trying. Maybe he's a lesson for me that I need to keep trying, too...

It probably frustrates classmates, too... but he brings a positive energy, he sometimes asks good questions... and he's helpful in many other ways.
You sound like a wonderful teacher. I guess my attitude has been pretty shitty, I kind of feel bad now. I'm going to make an effort to find good things about students like this and do my best to learn from them too. Thank you for the perspective.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sound like a wonderful teacher. I guess my attitude has been pretty shitty, I kind of feel bad now. I'm going to make an effort to find good things about students like this and do my best to learn from them too. Thank you for the perspective.
Don't worry too much about what your attitude was (unless it was communicated to others, then maybe a quick apology). Just focus on what you want it to be from now on. We all have times we look back and aren't really happy about what we did or how we acted, but it's all good as long as we continue to learn and grow.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
2-1/2 years ago I came back to training after a 6-year hiatus. I had to pretty much start over, and, if we go strictly by the rank, I haven't progressed much. Does it frustrate me at times that, after reaching the assistant instructor rank, I am back in the sandbox? Sure. However, I continue to train despite the physical limitations that arose during this time, even though there is sometimes a strong temptation to just quit. I am also learning a lot about other aspects outside of my art and being a better fighter, rather than a higher belt rank (not always the same thing).

I do my best to apply the philosophy of my yoga instructors to my MA training: worry about what goes on within the boundaries of your yoga mat. So, that's what I do my best to worry about - what goes on with my hands, and my feet, and my back, and my falls, rolls, kicks, technique, etc. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

No worries, watching, just train and have a ball doing it. :)

And if you keep training.....it gets even better.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
oh you been training for 1 year now thats awesome what belt are you if i may ask.? heheh you have to understand that we are all different in many way some would do the technique fast and some do it slow and also our thinking is different i might agree with you i might not so yap dont get in patient with your partner and critizing her or him maybe he wana take his or her time or he or she just wanna do it in slow phase ive seen some people in my karate class some are slow some are moving fast. so just be patient with your eventually he or she will catch up. instead of saying i dont wana train with you your to slow or your not doing your technique right encourage him or her make her or special and tell him or her you can do it your doing good and if he or she makes a mistake you will say its all good and show him or her the way how to do the technique. i help teach so i know how to deal with student or my partner in karate and guess what im a slow learner too i was diagnose when i was sophomore i have learning disability but that dont stop me from learning and teaching. It took me a while to test for my 2nd brown because i wasnt ready at the time but now im so ready to test. Imaging my partner will say to me you take to long to learn your technique and form you are not studying im not gonna teach you anything that would been worst hehehe

so ya just help your karate partner and you and him or her will do great as karate partner

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh you been training for 1 year now thats awesome what belt are you if i may ask.? heheh you have to understand that we are all different in many way some would do the technique fast and some do it slow and also our thinking is different i might agree with you i might not so yap dont get in patient with your partner and critizing her or him maybe he wana take his or her time or he or she just wanna do it in slow phase ive seen some people in my karate class some are slow some are moving fast. so just be patient with your eventually he or she will catch up. instead of saying i dont wana train with you your to slow or your not doing your technique right encourage him or her make her or special and tell him or her you can do it your doing good and if he or she makes a mistake you will say its all good and show him or her the way how to do the technique. i help teach so i know how to deal with student or my partner in karate and guess what im a slow learner too i was diagnose when i was sophomore i have learning disability but that dont stop me from learning and teaching. It took me a while to test for my 2nd brown because i wasnt ready at the time but now im so ready to test. Imaging my partner will say to me you take to long to learn your technique and form you are not studying im not gonna teach you anything that would been worst hehehe

so ya just help your karate partner and you and him or her will do great as karate partner
I am an orange belt in JSK

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe the zip was introduced by the ITF in 1982 as part of the then 'new' dobok (or dobak, depending on which romanisation you prefer ;)).

So y'know, traditional by now :p

We had it romanized as "dobak" on our word list... until a Korean dad of a student told us that "do bak" means "gambling".

Reactions: pdg