New Modern Arnis Book!

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am roughly within two weeks of being finished with Mano y Mano - Weaponless Fighting Applications Of Modern Arnis.

It has around 1,200 photos in it and covers empty hand basics: strikes, blocks & kicks. I cross reference the techniques with their cane or anyo counterparts. It has a section on throwing and another on empty hand drills to aid self defense. I also include all eight empty hand anyos as well as selected applications within each anyo. I left out a detailed study of the joint locks (both empty hand and cane locks) as I quickly found that subject would take a book of its own (which I am already knee deep in research on).

I am quite proud of this book and it should fill the need for seeing the translations of cane actions to the empty hand. In it are forwards written by Roland Dantes, Bram Frank, Datu Dieter Knuettel, Jerome Barber and others are coming from Dr. Randi Shea, Datu Shishir Inocalla and Tim Kashino.

It will be available in download form first. Then it will come out in hard copy form. I'll get the data out to you in this tread when it occurs.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:cheers: Congrats Dan. Looking forward to seeing it.

(I'm still working through Defanging the Snake...good stuff!)

:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations Dan :)

Sounds good to me. I like having the electroninc copy as well as the paper copy. Just my preference to have both types of media.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's great to have a library of Modern Arnis books for those of us who prefer paper to DVDs!

LabanB

Yellow Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

After buying the download version of Defanging the Snake, - excellent btw - I'm looking forward to the next book. Any idea as yet as to the cost?

Bill

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LabanB,
The cost will be the same as the others.

Tshadowchaser,
Thanks. I'm quite pleased with it now that I have the photos in place to back up the text.

Arnisador,
Yeah, I know. I'm a paper-baby myself. It'll take a little while longer to get the hard copy version out as I'll have to transfer all the color photos to black and white and that's roughly 1,200 -1,300 or so photos.

By Grabthar's hammer, it's a good 'un!

Yours,
Dan

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan

I've enjoyed your other two books, Defanging the Snake and a Path to Mastery of Modern Arnis.

I look forward to getting the new book.

Are you a fan of Galaxy Quest?

Never Surrender Never Give Up
Mark

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just went from the Pagemaker program to the Adobe acrobat and made a "working pdf." This is where I catch the mistakes if my students don't beat me to it. By Grabthar's Hammer, there's a ton of them. Yikes!

Yes, I loved Galaxy Quest. The best line in the movie for me was "By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings." I about died.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the script:

SARRIS
(smiles)
You fool. What you fail to realize is that without your armor my
ship will tear through yours like tissue paper.

JASON
Yeah. Well what you fail to realize is... I’m dragging mines.

You are going to leave a few mistakes in for us to find, right? A challenge?

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All!
the new book will be up on the website on Friday. The contributers of the forwards got an advanced copy and Jerome Barber actually wrote a review for Bram's forum. I thought I'd post it here for one man's opinion. Here it is:

"Hi Dan,

I have a suggestion - Modern Arnis Mano y Mano

Ok, now to the serious part. I just got a CD copy of the book and I want to let everyone know that this is a "absolutely must have book!!" Dan, this is a very valuble book and I am so happy that you put it together for the general public. I am also looking forward to the hard copy which I will add to my collection of your books already in print. Excellent work my friend and I would love to have everyone copy this review and post it on every martial arts forum site that they subscribe to and post on.

The text is very clear, concise and complete. This book is very well written. The photo copy that accompanies the text is both appropriate and impeccably shadows the written text. Dan, you have totally captured the pure essence of the late Professor's empty hand art as well as anyone could have done, yet it is equally important to note that your personal approach to the art is quite apparent. You have captured the "art within your art" concept and then 'made it for yourself' just as Professor always said it should happen. I am very proud of you and this work that you have produced. I truely hope that this book and CD will be an absolute sales success because it deserves to have that distinction."

Sincerely,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.
Director & Principal Instructor
Independent Escrim-Kenpo-Arnis Associates

Rich Parsons got one as well. Any words, Rich? All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan,

I apologize for not having a chance to review it yet.

It is in the CD drive :D, I just wish I could get to it before 11:00 PM at night when I got to start all over early in the AM. Oh well, others have it worse ;)

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I, too, have received a copy of the book and will be reviewing it for The Martialist. (It came just today, Dan. :))

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rich,
I understand. Isn't it a drag how making a living gets in the way of the more fun things?

Phil,
Glad you got it. I'm looking forward to your review.

Folks - it goes up on the website tomorrow for general sales. You'll like it!

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Rich,
I understand. Isn't it a drag how making a living gets in the way of the more fun things?

Yours,
Dan Anderson
If it did not put food in my mouth and facilitate me having other toys I would not be doing it :D

Latest Discussions