New Jersey school puts lid on bathroom breaks

loki09789 said:
I am a teacher, and I agree there are some stupid policies and practices that are being implemented, but REMEMBER that the teachers are not the implimentors, Administrators and Superintendents/School Boards (some of which have NEVER taught or don't have very much time in the trenches before they go for higher degrees and higher paying jobs) are the policy writers and final decision makers.

TEACHERS are the people trying to help your children learn the critical thinking and subject skills as well as acceptable social behavior so they can be productive, positively impacting citizens as well as NON-Judgemental and prejudicial about things they don't know a lot about.... like bashing teachers/education/military/religion/LEO/Race when you are not directly involved, knowledgeable on the subject.

I couldn't agree with you more on the fact taht teachers aren't the one's creating these rules and procedures. i agree that tardies especially those that are consistantly tardy should have some type of punishment. but i believe that making them pay is ridiculious, based on the fact that i knew a lot of high schoolers that didn't work, therefore their parents would end up paying for their tardies. restroom breaks are fine, i have one family member who happens to have a small bladder and her teacher had told her she couldn't go to the rest room and she lost control of her bladder. this was extremely embarassing for her, and we all know how kids can taunt one another. i do like the fact that your school that you taught at did have extra bathroom passes, i think that could be acceptible. it is good to monitor some of these students but most of the students are their to get an education and don't go around causing problems (i.e. smoking in the bathroom, writting on the walls, starting fights). there is always a handful of students that make it bad for the rest of the students. as for teachers, i think that most teachers are under paid and deserve more respect for the things they put up with from the students and even in some case parents.

FUZZYJ692000 said:
restroom breaks are fine, i have one family member who happens to have a small bladder and her teacher had told her she couldn't go to the rest room and she lost control of her bladder. this was extremely embarassing for her, and we all know how kids can taunt one another.

And the teacher is an isolated case of misunderstanding, poor judgement or poor character. What percentages and what duration of the 'bathroom break' problem is not being discussed in a news article where angry parents and urologists are being quoted? What intentions and goals are not being mentioned?

I remember when the Buffalo City School Teacher's went on strike and the Newspapers were writing what the 'average' income of a school teacher was. RIGHT! They inflated the dollar amount by calculating the dollar value of health benefits, retirement...and other benefits that any worker was entitled to. Sum up the dollar value of the salary, benefits and potential earnings, college benefits of the average enlisted serviceman and it looks like a he%% of a lot of money, but they don't hand that cash over to the soldier/sailor or Marine.

Remember that the media is partially an advertising medium as well as a short term chronicler, so they don't take/have the time to really present a balanced story. Take it all with a grain of salt. I was shocked at the tone of the reactions to this story. Most of the level headed, reasonable posters were really inflammatory - I would NEVER have read such prejudicial comments if it was about an ethnic/religious group or say Fireman. It was really shocking to see the polite meter go right into the red here.

"Cooper, the leader of a landmark study that looked at the problems tied to limiting bathroom access for children in elementary schools, said between 7 and 15 percent of 7-year-olds have bladder problems. As children age, their bladders develop and they can control them better, but older children can still have trouble that can be made worse by limiting bathroom access.

"I see lots of junior high kids every day who have problems with urinary tract infections from not voiding frequently enough," he said. "There is also an epidemic of constipation because kids are not consuming enough fluids."

Within the context of the article, the implication is that bathroom pass policies are the sole cause of such problems.... not accurate, but does sell papers because it is sensational

The reality is that children and teens, on the average, don't drink or 'void' regularly because of a variety of factors...too many soft drinks and not enough water, lack of awareness of body needs/healthy practices in general... not just because a school has a pass policy for bathroom use.

Also, the parent who 'talked to the school' is paraphrasing the conversation in an irritated state, so of course he/she/they will make it out that the school was being ridiculous. I have all the faith in the world that the people who establish such policies will be open to modifications to it as they see where adjustments need to be made.

FUZZYJ692000 said:
but i believe that making them pay is ridiculious, based on the fact that i knew a lot of high schoolers that didn't work, therefore their parents would end up paying for their tardies.

I don't know if Worthington is a private school or not, but I don't know of public schools that could ever get away with charging money of students for tardies.

If it is a private school the money issue could also be an administrative strategy to create communication between parents/students/school to make sure that all parties know what is expected of the student and what the student is really doing.

If I was paying private school tuition for my son's education and he was so regularly tardy or skipping, so much that it was becoming a charge on the tuition bill or barring admission, I would want to know about it. It would also promote/support the school's dedication to filling limited seats with students who demonstrate a certain amount of character.

If I were an uninvolved parent, the payment policy would act as a minimal level motivator to get me involved in my son's learning.

Back