New here

Jeff L

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jeff. I'm 23, and I live in East Aurora, NY. I've not studied a martial art previously, but am currently looking into many different forms in order to determine what I might like to begin studying.

I'm finding it difficult, as the amount of arts seems overwhelming at first. But this community seems like a great resource, and hopefully it will be helpful in both choosing what I'd like to study, and helping me down my path once I have chosen.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Jeff, good to have you on MT. Sounds to me as though the best thing for you to do is visit as many MA schools as possible and see (literally) what appeals to you. There's an MA for every taste and preference. Any ideas about what you think you might like, based on what you've seen/heard so far?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Jeff!! Enjoy your stay! :ultracool

Mike

OP
J

Jeff L

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Jeff, good to have you on MT. Sounds to me as though the best thing for you to do is visit as many MA schools as possible and see (literally) what appeals to you. There's an MA for every taste and preference. Any ideas about what you think you might like, based on what you've seen/heard so far?

From what I've been reading, I'm intrigued by Hun Gar Kung Fu, and it turns out there is a school 15 min from where I live. I'll probably start my search there this weekend by requesting if I can observe a class, but honestly, I've not a clue what I should be looking for.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, I'm intrigued by Hun Gar Kung Fu, and it turns out there is a school 15 min from where I live. I'll probably start my search there this weekend by requesting if I can observe a class, but honestly, I've not a clue what I should be looking for.

I do TKD, but I suspect everyone's going to be looking for roughly the same things in a MA schoo. Here are some pointers that will probably be useful.

i. Does the school seem well-organized? i.e., does it seem as though the people in charge know what they're doing? This is something that you can often get an immediate feel for, even if you don't have technical knowledge of the art itself.

ii. Does class begin promptly?

iii. Are instructions issued clearly? Does the instructor give at least a general idea of what the particular subject matter that you're about to work on is (forms? individual techniques? balance? impact training? flow exercises? and so on). Are the physical mechanics of the techniques explained at least in broad outline?

iv. Is there a mix of activities? Stretching/breathing-meditation/basic techniques/forms/combat-oriented exercises (these in no particular order, but usually they're sequenced in the order I've listed)?

v. Does the instructional staff watch individual performance carefully and step in to correct or modify students' execution of techniques as needed?

The other questions that arise have to do with your own personal sense of the aesthetics of the art. Do you like arts with a kind of angular, hard approach to combat based on linear strikes? Do you prefer rapid sequences of smoothly flowing strikes? Would your rather work in an MA in which strikes were minimized in favor of controlling moves, locks and throws? Would you like some of each? Etc... for every choice, there's an art which can deliver it, usually more than one. I'd advise you to spend a little bit of exploratory time before making up you mind. Check out as many different schools and arts as you can and see what strikes your fancy!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do TKD, but I suspect everyone's going to be looking for roughly the same things in a MA schoo. Here are some pointers that will probably be useful.

i. Does the school seem well-organized? i.e., does it seem as though the people in charge know what they're doing? This is something that you can often get an immediate feel for, even if you don't have technical knowledge of the art itself.

ii. Does class begin promptly?

iii. Are instructions issued clearly? Does the instructor give at least a general idea of what the particular subject matter that you're about to work on is (forms? individual techniques? balance? impact training? flow exercises? and so on). Are the physical mechanics of the techniques explained at least in broad outline?

iv. Is there a mix of activities? Stretching/breathing-meditation/basic techniques/forms/combat-oriented exercises (these in no particular order, but usually they're sequenced in the order I've listed)?

v. Does the instructional staff watch individual performance carefully and step in to correct or modify students' execution of techniques as needed?

The other questions that arise have to do with your own personal sense of the aesthetics of the art. Do you like arts with a kind of angular, hard approach to combat based on linear strikes? Do you prefer rapid sequences of smoothly flowing strikes? Would your rather work in an MA in which strikes were minimized in favor of controlling moves, locks and throws? Would you like some of each? Etc... for every choice, there's an art which can deliver it, usually more than one. I'd advise you to spend a little bit of exploratory time before making up you mind. Check out as many different schools and arts as you can and see what strikes your fancy!

Exile gives some EXCELLENT points..Don't make a decision after visiting only one school..If possible check out a couple and always obey that "little voice" in your head..It will tell you when you've found a home..Welcome to MT...

davemitchel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Howdy Jeff,

I also only joined recently, and between you and me, the people here are very friendly and helpful. Welcome and Enjoy!!!!!!:)
Dave

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

As far as your question, exile has posted some great advice - here are a couple of other threads that also discuss choosing an art or a school, as that is an on-going concern. You can also click on the "search" button on the right of the menu bar, put in something like "choosing a school" and see what answers others have gotten.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39577
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31462
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34943

Good luck, and let us know what you pick!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jeff. I'm 23, and I live in East Aurora, NY.

I'm Jeff L. and my father is from East Aurora, NY, though I grew up in Cheektowaga.

Check out this site for some info. on local schools:
www.wnymartialarts.com

Hung Gar is a good system! Depending on how far you're willing to travel, you have lots of options. What do you want out of martial arts training?

Latest Discussions