New guy with unique dilemna already!

josephdeka

White Belt
Reaction score
I've got a little background in BJJ, wrestling, and have beaten that crap out of punching bags on my own without instruction for years. I'm 5'11, 220#'s, 190# if I trim off my excess, and I'm more or less of a brute. I'm trying to learn tecnique and footwork, but for now I'm pretty much a goon, but I'll get better, I do a little everyday. I'm 27, and I'd like to get in the ring and scrap it out with others till I'm about 45/50, then turn to instructing maybe, or at least assisting a local fight team at that point.

I've posted this same question already, but, while I'm creating a post, you might as well know why I joined, so I'll copy and paste the question again-never know who'll have a good answer for me.

Heres the story. I've got a little bread saved, but not much, and I came to Chiang Mai Thailand to study Muay Thai. I've been at it for a month, it's great!

I'm an American attending an American University online, and the excess financial aid money gives me enough dough to eek out a meager existence in Asia studying martial arts and doing my schoolwork, nothing left over-but then again physically and mentally I have nothing left over anyway.

The visa runs are a hassle, both time consuming and financially, so I want to study muay thai for 30 days in Thailand, then go to Myanmar for 30 and study Thiang/Thaing/Bando/Lethwei, then spend 30 days studying Muay Thai in Thailand, then go do 30 days in Cambodia studying Bokator/Cambodian kickboxing and then go back to Thailand again to start the cycle all over again.

Since I have to cross the borders anyway, I don't mind going a little further, grabbing a cheap cheap guest house or hotel, and studying martial arts while I'm there. I'm not worried about not speaking the language, English is the second language of Asia, and I do get by with gestures, smiles, and bit of English everywhere I go. I'll study the local languages as well, customs, and laws of course for each country.

The question is, does anyone know any specific places they suggest to go to study? I'll be riding the buses as I am a starving college student, and need to save my money, and I'm not worried about living in squalor. I'm here in Asia to improve my body and mind, and I'm not concerned about conditions.

I will be here in Asia for a few years, so it won't be a hit and run training session, I imagine I'll learn two years of Muay Thai and one year of each of the others or better, I'll stay here in Asia for another 4-6 years. Where can I go? Any specefic names or addresses of recommended schools? I'll find it by asking around if I need to, but, coming prepared is always better.

If I can ask a favor, if you don't know, but your instructor trained here, can you ask him for specifics? Visa expires again July 20, I'd like to have a new destination this time.

I did read the forum dating back 1+ year, and stopped there. Based on the current government situations, especially in Myanmar, I did not want any dated information.

Sorry to appear defensive, but I read the other posts and they mostly voiced concerned for the well being of people who wanted to travel out this way-I'm legit, I'm already here and was actually stamped in Burma/Myanmar yesterday :)

Thanks!

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Joseph

Welcome to MT. You have a strong desire to learn MA to travel that far to train. Hope you stay healthy and find the life you seek.

Good Hunting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! :)

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Sorry I don't have any ideas for your journey - but it sounds like a great exploration, and I'd love to hear more about it in the future.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry that I have no advice on your situation. Welcome to MT, however. I hope it goes as you want it to.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, With all the good people here I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Enjoy.

Joe Divola

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I can only imaging the things you have seen and learned already, I think that I might be jealous. The most exotic place I have been is Pennsylvania.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alas all I can offer is my Greetings and Welcome to MT...

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:asian: Welcome to MT!

I am sorry that I can offer no advice for you. However, you must know that you are living my dream. So soak it all up and be mindful of the present. Enjoy all of your experiences, because in the eyes of many martial artists, you are very fortunate to have this opportunity.

Stay safe, live clean and train hard.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are near Bangkok go to TIMLAND- It is a tourist trap , but, you will probably find some leads as to where to train. Timland is " Thailand in minature" They have MT exibitions and that is where I was first introduced to MT. The cabbies there will find you anything you are looking for- treat them right and you will be amazd at their resources. That is about all I can help you with. I toured all over Thailand using cabbies to do my contacting and they did a great job. They even kept me out of harms way a couple of times. Give them enough Baht and you will have the time of your life-
Buzz