Where do I study Thiang/Thaing/bando/lethwei in Myanmar and Bokator/kickboxin in Cambodia?

josephdeka

White Belt
Reaction score
Heres the story. I've got a little bread saved, but not much, and I came to Chiang Mai Thailand to study Muay Thai. I've been at it for a month, it's great!

I'm an American attending an American University online, and the excess financial aid money gives me enough dough to eek out a meager existence in Asia studying martial arts and doing my schoolwork, nothing left over-but then again physically and mentally I have nothing left over anyway.

The visa runs are a hassle, both time consuming and financially, so I want to study muay thai for 30 days in Thailand, then go to Myanmar for 30 and study Thiang/Thaing/Bando/Lethwei, then spend 30 days studying Muay Thai in Thailand, then go do 30 days in Cambodia studying Bokator/Cambodian kickboxing and then go back to Thailand again to start the cycle all over again.

Since I have to cross the borders anyway, I don't mind going a little further, grabbing a cheap cheap guest house or hotel, and studying martial arts while I'm there. I'm not worried about not speaking the language, English is the second language of Asia, and I do get by with gestures, smiles, and bit of English everywhere I go. I'll study the local languages as well, customs, and laws of course for each country.

The question is, does anyone know any specific places they suggest to go to study? I'll be riding the buses as I am a starving college student, and need to save my money, and I'm not worried about living in squalor. I'm here in Asia to improve my body and mind, and I'm not concerned about conditions.

I will be here in Asia for a few years, so it won't be a hit and run training session, I imagine I'll learn two years of Muay Thai and one year of each of the others or better, I'll stay here in Asia for another 4-6 years. Where can I go? Any specefic names or addresses of recommended schools? I'll find it by asking around if I need to, but, coming prepared is always better.

If I can ask a favor, if you don't know, but your instructor trained here, can you ask him for specifics? Visa expires again July 20, I'd like to have a new destination this time.

I did read the forum dating back 1+ year, and stopped there. Based on the current government situations, especially in Myanmar, I did not want any dated information.

Sorry to appear defensive, but I read the other posts and they mostly voiced concerned for the well being of people who wanted to travel out this way-I'm legit, I'm already here and was actually stamped in Burma/Myanmar yesterday :)

Thanks!

bonviet

White Belt
Reaction score
okay, i don't know where to study in BURMA. done herp trips there, Cambodia likewise, I know of some people in Phnom penh I will ask if they might take on another guy,
I've lived here for years and been to all over the place and had all kinds of stories,
What gym are you studying at in chiang mai? i'm punchy been up all night going business bacj home funny how stuff just starts to fall out of your head with sleep deprivation and can't for the life of me remember the good gym there named after a thai princess,visited worked out a bit... CRAP!
I can't make any guarantees but i'll ask. and they will test you. and F#$k with you, especially in the part of phnompenh you will go to train not a round eye in sight.it will be one for the kids, rel blood in a real gym (or large closet)it's all relative... Great choices cambodia is my favorite but scariest place i've ever been, but Keep going your in good shape, live it up thats what i did and still do I came over here loving asian martial arts, asian women,agriculture and jungle survival and the wanderlust of indochina and the archipelagoi haven't been dissapointed.i'm almost ruined to the USA.
Gimme time, i'll ask. Have a relative thats cambodian who knows alot of those kinds of people will get it rolling, just bit into it dude.
Bon

bonviet

White Belt
Reaction score
okay, i don't know where to study in BURMA. done herp trips there, Cambodia likewise, I know of some people in Phnom penh I will ask if they might take on another guy,
I've lived here for years and been to all over the place and had all kinds of stories,
What gym are you studying at in chiang mai? i'm punchy been up all night going business bacj home funny how stuff just starts to fall out of your head with sleep deprivation and can't for the life of me remember the good gym there named after a thai princess,visited worked out a bit... CRAP!
I can't make any guarantees but i'll ask. and they will test you. and F#$k with you, especially in the part of phnompenh you will go to train not a round eye in sight.it will be one for the kids, rel blood in a real gym (or large closet)it's all relative... Great choices cambodia is my favorite but scariest place i've ever been, but Keep going your in good shape, live it up thats what i did and still do I came over here loving asian martial arts, asian women,agriculture and jungle survival and the wanderlust of indochina and the archipelagoi haven't been dissapointed.i'm almost ruined to the USA.
Gimme time, i'll ask. Have a relative thats cambodian who knows alot of those kinds of people will get it rolling, just bit into it dude.
Bon

bonviet

White Belt
Reaction score
okay I remebered it is lanna thai camp near a uni remebered all the black and whites, i posted this text twice , geez i ned to get some sleep!
more power to ya, LIVE!!!!!! man,There is also Krabi krabong a couple good schools but i haven's trained with them in a decade but they loved my teacher, loved him, he died of brain cancer and was one of those real lifetime students and didn;t have any agenda gave up being a lawyer to train Thai and archipelago arts,ajan hooked me up with some gyms just on a phone call and things went like i was long lost family,
But dude seriously, not CNN(said in a really annoying voice) crap
Phnom penh is Dangerous and gorgeous (french architecture is a hobby of mine so i've been all over that place and have pictures dating back to a hundred years ago etc etc. You won't be going to tourist town. i might arrang a body guard/driver for you, it's Free no problem, a guy about a thing y'know and if you wanted to play the home game i could get you living at the gym or house of one of the guys there, Let me get after the cousin and i'm heading back up there soon anyway.
Bon

Latest Discussions