New edition of "A Killing Art" in the works

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From: A Killing Art The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do Facebook

"It's official: I'm working on a second edition of "A killing art: The untold history of Tae Kwon Do." Given that it took seven years, off and on, to finish the first edition for 2008, I have to wonder about my sanity in tackling an update. Cue the hysterical laughter."

I'll admit to being curious about what changes the second edition might see.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy history of various martial arts. I enjoyed the first edition and I'm also curious on the updates to the new edition.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll probably borrow it from someone but I won't be buying it. The first edition contained too much dramatisation and sensationalism for me. A bit too 'don't let the facts get in the way of a good story'. I'd be interested to read a version that eschews that approach in favour of scientific, factual and balanced reporting, but I think that's unlikely.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I am curious about a new edition I doubt I would buy it just for whatever updates.

I sent Mr. gillis my thougts on where he had errors or misperceptions. Do not know if he will make any adjustments based on that.

I woulld like to see him name more names where he refers to some high ranking Korean politician/ martila artist etc.

I am reading He Young Kim's book now and it's interesting but also has some misperceptions vis a vis ITF stuff.

Riccardo

White Belt
Reaction score
From: A Killing Art The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do Facebook

"It's official: I'm working on a second edition of "A killing art: The untold history of Tae Kwon Do." Given that it took seven years, off and on, to finish the first edition for 2008, I have to wonder about my sanity in tackling an update. Cue the hysterical laughter."

I'll admit to being curious about what changes the second edition might see.

I liked the book, it is very well written, however I would have expected it to be more objective, rather than giving questionable personal judgements, like calling the Kukkiwon "spooky". I hope much of this stuff is removed. There were also some other inconsistencies, like confusing often WTF with the Kukkiwon (e.g. when claiming that the WTF was made up of the 9 original Kwans, when claiming that WTF conducts black belt tests. etc.).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
like confusing often WTF with the Kukkiwon (e.g. when claiming that the WTF was made up of the 9 original Kwans, when claiming that WTF conducts black belt tests. etc.).

Reading he Young Kimms book I was surprised to learn that in the early days apparently the WTF did conduct BB Tests and issue certs. Later this stopped.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in the early days, KKW certificates carried the WTF logo. Not confusing at all.
There has long been what can best be described as an incestuous relationship between the KKW and the WTF.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And in the early days, KKW certificates carried the WTF logo. Not confusing at all.
There has long been what can best be described as an incestuous relationship between the KKW and the WTF.

So much so that in many countries, especially in Africa, few people know what the Kukkiwon is and often assume the WTF controls the Kukkiwon. That's largley because the WTF bears the organizational muscle in the continenal and national Olympic taekwondo organizations.

Riccardo

White Belt
Reaction score

I think this went on for a very brief period of time. My Master's 1st Dan was issued by the WTF, not by the Kukkiwon. I should look for a copy, but I guess it was around 1980. All his later Dan certificates have been issued by the Kukkiwon, and they all bear the same cert. number as the first one, issued by the WTF. It is indeed strange as, by statute, the WTF is not supposed to deal with black belt certification.

Latest Discussions