New Disney martial arts sitcom

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Kickin' It", originally titled Wasabi Warriors, is about to hit Disney and is one of the Hannah Montannah, Wizards of Waiverly Place, Sonny with a Chance kind of shows.
It focuses on a group of kids in an underperforming dojo in a chain of Wasabi Martial Arts Studios.

I am sure it will be a mixed bag (mostly bad), but it could be a good chance at getting some "tweens" involved in the martial arts. The youth is the future of the martial arts, so this could be an opportunity.

Or, they will mock the martial arts to the point that no one will want to come in to a dojo/dojang. I guess we will have to see.

AoG

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Kickin' It", originally titled Wasabi Warriors, is about to hit Disney and is one of the Hannah Montannah, Wizards of Waiverly Place, Sonny with a Chance kind of shows.
It focuses on a group of kids in an underperforming dojo in a chain of Wasabi Martial Arts Studios.

I am sure it will be a mixed bag (mostly bad), but it could be a good chance at getting some "tweens" involved in the martial arts. The youth is the future of the martial arts, so this could be an opportunity.

Or, they will mock the martial arts to the point that no one will want to come in to a dojo/dojang. I guess we will have to see.

AoG
Nation wide letter writing campaign from MA-ist could help prevent the writers from overblowing the comedy and as you say... making a mockery of the arts... comedy and MA ... they DO go well together as evident from Jackie Chan and movies like Kung Fu Hustle but they didn't mock the arts just made fun of the situations and such.

Inundate the disney television studio with letters may help.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not the first. Remember Disney had a series in the late 80's or early 90's named "Side Kicks" starring Ernie Reyes as the adopted kid of some hapless dude (because Disney father are always hapless for some reason). They are not new to the concept.

Does my hate (I mean love Mr Eisner) for Disney show?

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The dad was Gil Gerard, of Buck Rogers fame. Coincidentally, his costar in Buck Rogers--Erin Grey--went on to become a fairly well known taiji teacher.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends. Wizards of Waverly Place is pretty good, but most of Disney's sitcoms are kinda shoddy. I'd like to see Dan Schneider do something with the idea. He's the creator of iCarly and Drake and Josh which are quite clever for 'tween' shows.

Can you tell I have an 11-year-old?
icon10.gif

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, I really like Wizards of Waiverly place and iCarly. Both of those are pretty clever compared to what we have been exposed to over the past few decades. Wizards is kind of original and iCarly is clever.

AoG

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will freely admit that we often have Icarly, Wizards of Waverly Place, and some show with Victoria Justice?? on our TV quite often.. my 5 year old has a cruch on Selena Gomez, and Victoria Justice... not so much with Icarly although he thinks its a hilarious show..
I have watched way to many Disney Shows.. having Martial Arts of any kind involved would be great!!!! LOL

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would it really be worse for the MA image than a lot of the movies that are out there though? In our dojo, you need to be 18 to train (some exceptions made for people over 16) but as we don't "water down" the techniques or tactics and as such they probably aren't appropriate for most kids. Mind you, everytime a ninja fad hits we cop it anyway...