New Blade

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
My GF got me this for Christmas

It's the Benchmade "Bone Collector," basically a Griptilian on steroids. Product page

004-1-1.jpg

the basics...

D2 instead of 154CM for the blade,
G10 instead of zytel (or whatever they call it) for the handles.
Steel liners
Slightly thicker blade and handle.

So far I'm really liking it, the extra "heft" and the better grip provided by the G10 put this one head-and-shoulders over a standard Griptilian in my opinion.

(she also got me the para-cord monkey's-fist keychain and lanyard in the picture :D)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what is that monkey fist and what is it used for? I never seen one before, thank you---tom
A "Monkey's Fist" is a type of knot. It's historically a maritime knot and was often used to wrap, hold, and enclose a central item, usually a lead weight and that often lead shot of some sort. The knot was often extended from a "tail" of the same cord to a loop or handle, making a "Slung Shot." Slung Shots were used for two purposes, first to throw line from ships to moorings (& vice versa) and second, it makes an excellent flexible impact weapon; a type of flail.

In many States in the U.S. there are laws specifically banning the carry of "slung shot" (not "sling shot" mind you).

In modern society, besides the obvious self defense applications, a many people interested in preparedness use a monkey's fist knot to wind up upon itself, knotting cord about cord, so that they can have a convenient and ready source of strong and long cord (often "paracord") should the need arise.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
re: the monkey's-fist, lklawson nailed it, I can't add anything pertinent to his answer.

Oh, forgot to mention, the other lanyard (the square-braid) holds a fire-steel. Nice way to both carry some para-cord and a source of emergency fire.

Here's another pic now that I've "waved" the knife. The Axis-lock folders (or variants) work really well when they're waved. Because of the low amount of friction on the blade during the opening process, this thing opens smoother than an Emerson or Spyderco (with the exception of the P'Kal).

I also re-profiled the edge to about 20-degrees...this thing cuts like a razor now.

012-1.jpg

OP
KenpoTex

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very nice christmas prezzy. What weight is it and how's the handling?

According to the website, it's 5.59 oz. It's a hefty knife, I had a guy ask me the other day if it was designed to "stab 'em, or beat 'em to death with it." :D
It handles really well.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
V. nice :) I'm kinda with Guro Harold...its not something I would carry due to the name, but it sure looks sweet. Enjoy!

Latest Discussions