New BJJ guy needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2/3 of BJJ is garbage

I'm not sure how a beginner can judge that.

I recommend you only do the no-gi as it’s more mma and realistic .

As I said, conflating BJJ and MMA.

Find a coach who can wrestle as most BJJ coaches can’t teach take downs

An 'interesting' idea.
Be sure you take some Muay Thai later

what is your age

Not sure why he wants to know Gweilo's age lol.

Not everyone wants to do a stand up style, there's no reason to if they don't want to.

I am very very picky with Coaches and if I feel they’re wasting my time they get fired and I find a better coach

However when one goes through a great number of coaches for what the beginner perceives is a waste of time ie doing basics, one questions who is actually to blame here for the lack of learning.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2/3 of BJJ is garbage
Trying to learn every guard position and sweep is a disaster unless you started at age 5

I recommend you only do the no-gi as it’s more mma and realistic . Very simplified with more leg locks

what is your age
You keep repeating this incorrect statement that no-gi is inherently much less complex than with the magic, evil uniform. I suspect the difference is coaches and the level that's being taught to, but you're convinced that your small sampling is The Truth about BJJ.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very consistent trainer
I lack good athletic ability and it’s best for me to train many things because I will never be good in one
That's bad reasoning. Being bad at a bunch of stuff is not as useful as being competent at one. If you're really as bad as you say, focusing on one thing would be your best bet at ever having any skill. (Though I suspect that's just your way of trying for attention.)

I am only 6-1 and 155 and lack power and speed
That's not likely an inherent physical quality, but a lack of skill. Which would perhaps be ameliorated by focus.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quasar44 is taking some flak for his statements, but he's actually reacting to a situation which is way too common in many BJJ gyms.

2/3 of BJJ is garbage

This is just one of many statements he's made, there's another about Judo and BJJ in a Gi is 'fake' with 'fake' holds.

There's yet another statement that BJJ doesn't have takedowns, now some instructors may not teach them (that's a different discussion on the quality of teaching) but we do know there's takedowns, you don't have to take a wrestling class to learn takedowns for BJJ. You don't have to go to Muay Thai to learn standup there's other options yet he dismisses bother karate and TKD which he also conflates as being much the same thing. Funnily enough my style of karate does teach takedowns though not surprising when the founder was also a master of Jujutsu.

To a large extent we are responsible for our own training, a class is a two way thing. You can't go into a class thinking that because you've watched MMA fights and videos you know what you should be doing especially if it's not an MMA class! Watching videos may give a reasonable expectation of what to expect ( usually at a higher standard than beginner) ie a TKD class will have kicks, Judo takedowns, breakfalls and groundwork etc but thinking you know and dismissing the instructor because it's not the same as the videos which show experts training is sheer lunacy. You have to enter a class with an open mind, if after giving it a fair chance you find the class is not for you, you have to honestly assess why not, not just say it's the instructor's fault totally. Assess honestly and your next class will be the better for it. Look at what sort of learner you are, is there a way you can make training easier for yourself, was it just a personality clash, or perhaps the instructor was teaching correctly, you didn't understand and didn't ask, you have to do your part as a student. Being a well liked student is a nice thing to be but doesn't mean you learn any better!

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
2/3 of BJJ is garbage
Even if this is true, you wont know this at your stage of training, it sounds like you have been listening to comments made by others about bjj

I recommend you only do the no-gi as it’s more mma and realistic . Very simplified with more leg locks

Thanks for the advice, but I will stick with the Sambo element of my current art, it sounds to me, like you have heard something along the lines of take whats useful and discard whats not, but with limited exposure, how can you decide whats useful, how much experience do you have in fighting, be it real or sport?
If you just want takedowns, submission holds, but none of the grabbing hold stuff, then you will only be learning 1/3 of whats on offer, and if 2/3 of what you learn is rubbish, why bother?
what is your age
I am 49, 50 in may, I have done Ma for 35 years. Mainly in 3 different arts and Plenty of training with good quality practioners across other arts, I even done for a period unliscensed fighting, I also for a period taught prison officers, staff from institutes that deal with people with mental health conditions, in restraint and self defense techniques. IMO unless you knuckle down, start rolling for 55 mins, you may learn stuff, but how effective will it be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but I will stick with the Sambo element of my current art,

I haven't done this but have friends who do, they enjoy it immensely. Know a couple of MMA fighters who've competed in Russia as well. I also enjoy watching the Sambo comps on Eurosport ( they also show the Judo ones)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
However when one goes through a great number of coaches for what the beginner perceives is a waste of time ie doing basics, one questions who is actually to blame here for the lack of learning.
Agree, Agree, Agree.
About as straightforward as it needs to be said.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't done this but have friends who do, they enjoy it immensely. Know a couple of MMA fighters who've competed in Russia as well. I also enjoy watching the Sambo comps on Eurosport ( they also show the Judo ones)
Yeah I love all the grappling arts, great finals in a bjj comp in Portugal recently, in one of the weights chap won by submitting his opponent with a choke hold with his own gi.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am very consistent trainer
I lack good athletic ability and it’s best for me to train many things because I will never be good in one
I am only 6-1 and 155 and lack power and speed
my main back ground is Krav Maga but I added on MT for yrs and now grappling

I am always the nice guy in class
The guy people like
Yeah...I'm not buying that last bit...you put on a nice act here but it's slipped a few times and you've shown a nasty side

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
2/3 of BJJ is garbage
Trying to learn every guard position and sweep is a disaster unless you started at age 5

what is your age
What a load of bs......I'm no bjj fanboy but your comment reeks of ignorance. All moves have their place and they all work because otherwise they wouldn't be there. Just because YOU can't do them doesn't make them useles and no....no gi is not more realistic for reasons that have already been said to you but you just never listen to

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey guess what I went to bjj tonight. First time in a while because of illness and injuries. Went to the White belt class did the drills fine got to rolling and rolled with a 55 year old who's been training for a year (I'm on 3 years) I won but barely then rolled with a older smaller guy and he beat he in about 1 minute.

Now I could sit here and cry and say the coach is awful boo hoo it's his fault. Or I could not be so full of myself and realise it's me that's bad. I'm bad at bjj for whatever reason. I'm a decent striker but ground I'm not good at. That's on me not thr coach

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do roll but i won’t 55 min
I try to do 20 min but that is it

55 min and my body would be tired for days

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Even if this is true, you wont know this at your stage of training, it sounds like you have been listening to comments made by others about bjj

Sambo is good then !!
It has many elements

Thanks for the advice, but I will stick with the Sambo element of my current art, it sounds to me, like you have heard something along the lines of take whats useful and discard whats not, but with limited exposure, how can you decide whats useful, how much experience do you have in fighting, be it real or sport?
If you just want takedowns, submission holds, but none of the grabbing hold stuff, then you will only be learning 1/3 of whats on offer, and if 2/3 of what you learn is rubbish, why bother?

I am 49, 50 in may, I have done Ma for 35 years. Mainly in 3 different arts and Plenty of training with good quality practioners across other arts, I even done for a period unliscensed fighting, I also for a period taught prison officers, staff from institutes that deal with people with mental health conditions, in restraint and self defense techniques. IMO unless you knuckle down, start rolling for 55 mins, you may learn stuff, but how effective will it be.

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sambo does a lot of judo
You must know many leg locks lol

what striking arts have you done

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes I discard what I feel is not going to help me in a self def sit

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2/3 of BJJ is garbage

SoWrong.jpeg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I discard what I feel is not going to help me in a self def sit

Please do explain how you know what is going to help in a self defence situation? Just how many times have you needed to defend yourself?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sambo does a lot of judo
You must know many leg locks lol

what striking arts have you done
Why do you think he needs to do a striking art? Not everyone has to do things like you you know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions