New BJJ guy needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullfrogJay

White Belt
Reaction score
So I finally started BJJ after wanting to to a grappling art for the longest time and I absolutely love it. I am about 2 weeks into it and already I feel better, stronger and more agile.
My only problem still is that my cardio is horrible. I feel like I am about to die after doing just one round of sparring after drills. I push myself to keep going when I want to quit in the middle of a rol but it feels horrible. I go 3 times a week right now. I am about 250 lbs and 6 foot. I know weight has a lot do with it. I have changed my diet and try getting more rest. When does it get easier ? I know that there are a lot of factors but maybe some of you have a similar experience when you started. Also, I am not a smoker. Thank you for any advice. Quitting is not an option.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
That is a great start. Just keep swinging. Keep in touch and let us know how it is going in 2 months. Then 6 months, 1 year then 2. Hopefully, you will check in often and let us know how thing are going. For it to really work it has to be a lifestyle change, not just a pastime.
Good points that you changed your diet and rest cycles. Those are huge factors in helping your body go through the changes taking place.
This is a great place to chat about your progress and questions. A lot of good people here on this forum.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a few factors that may be effecting your cardio.

You may be un fit. In which case eat a salad and go for a run.

You may be a giant spaz and so are killing yourself throwing your elbows around and basically forcing every other guy to smash you. In which case calm the hell down.

Or you may be trapped is crappy positions all the time that is soaking up your energy. In which case you need to pay more attention to your sweeps and escapes.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't push yourself in positions that are a lost cause. You shouldn't be focusing on outworking and scrambling around the other person all the time-thatll just exhaust you and leave them fine.

Also, find spots where you can rest mid-roll. If you're in a position thats stable/secure, take a couple seconds to catch your breath and figure out what you want to do next, rather than jumping right into it.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to mt, some good advice already, but to add, get control of your breathing, some, when they first come to grappling/wrestling, it can cause sensations like claustraphobia, this has a tendancy to make people hold their breath, which will gas you even quicker, keep going, it will come, keep us informed.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You already know this since you're addressing it, but it will be much easier when about 20 pounds has come off.

As stated above, if you are "thrashing around," slow Way down, lighten up, use less effort. If you ever feel like you're gritting your teeth during a roll, you're going to hard. Ease up. This one thing will probably triple your effectiveness.

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
2 weeks in lol
Tell us when you have 2 yrs then things can make sense
Every time I go to my no-gi class I lose and I am more confused than when I started

For self defense I spend the most time trying to get back to my feet rather than sweeping or staying in guard
It never ends ...you think you seen enough and you get 100 new things
I take notes all the time

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You must learn to control yourself or you will upset higher belts and become exhausted !!

I am not happy with my current coach and I maybe switching gyms in March
The new coach thinks it’s great to roll 55 min every class and I can’t do it

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My old school added on boxing and beg mma and I am loving it

so looks like 2 gyms

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
250 !!!
Try not to use all your muscle and size

I am 6-1 and 160 only and only at it 18 months

The No-gi is more mma and less complex
The Gi has infinite moves and positions

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have said improving your cardio will help over time
In the mean time try calming down: most people burn out when they’re on the bottom because they are super tense, wasting effort and in a bad defensive position (which can result in your lungs being crushed/constrained)

When you’re on the bottom, use your arms to protect your chest (tuck your elbows in tight), turn a little on your side to help you breath freely and learn to calm down and get comfortable in terrible positions

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must learn to control yourself or you will upset higher belts and become exhausted !!

@Bullfrog-Jay, welcome to MT, you've been given excellent advice by the posters here who are all experienced but please do ignore the above 'advice'.
Breathing is always good too. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT BullfrogJay :D

Some excellent advice already, and I don't do BJJ, but you're honestly doing awesome for 2 weeks in by the sounds of things.

Relax when there, and seriously take your time when rolling. Breathe deeply, and remind yourself to breathe frequently. Using excess energy and tension will gas you!

It will just take some time. The more you do it, the more you will adapt. It's a very new thing for the body to get used to, so your cardio and whole system is still learning to adapt. Be patient and you will adapt with time and consistency in training.

Love the excitement and passion you have for it! Keen to hear how you go, keep us posted!

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I finally started BJJ after wanting to to a grappling art for the longest time and I absolutely love it. I am about 2 weeks into it and already I feel better, stronger and more agile.
My only problem still is that my cardio is horrible. I feel like I am about to die after doing just one round of sparring after drills. I push myself to keep going when I want to quit in the middle of a rol but it feels horrible. I go 3 times a week right now. I am about 250 lbs and 6 foot. I know weight has a lot do with it. I have changed my diet and try getting more rest. When does it get easier ? I know that there are a lot of factors but maybe some of you have a similar experience when you started. Also, I am not a smoker. Thank you for any advice. Quitting is not an option.

Welcome to mt, some good advice already, but to add, get control of your breathing, some, when they first come to grappling/wrestling, it can cause sensations like claustraphobia, this has a tendancy to make people hold their breath, which will gas you even quicker, keep going, it will come, keep us informed.

Welcome to MT. Firstly, glad to hear the enthusiasm and if you stick with it, you will get better. 250 lbs is a lot of 'meat' to move around so as Gweilo said, getting control of your breathing will help tremendously with the gas tank. The more experience you have rolling the more comfort you will feel and the less tendency you will have to hold your breath and gas yourself out. Good luck and keep rolling.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few factors that may be effecting your cardio.

You may be un fit. In which case eat a salad and go for a run.

You may be a giant spaz and so are killing yourself throwing your elbows around and basically forcing every other guy to smash you. In which case calm the hell down.

Or you may be trapped is crappy positions all the time that is soaking up your energy. In which case you need to pay more attention to your sweeps and escapes.
This, and try to be a bit more technical once you get tired - look to conserve energy by going slower and looking for opportunities that take less strength and speed. This is mostly drop bear's second point, so nothing new, but work even harder on it (by working less hard, ironically) when you are tired. It's a good time to do so, because you don't really have the reserves at that point to keep pushing hard, anyway.

And some of it is just doing new activities with new muscles in new ways. That's always tiring. After a few weeks, your body gets used to it, and it gets a bit easier. You also learn to use your techniques (rather than trying to muscle through) which makes it easier. And as you get better at spotting openings (yours and others'), you'll waste less energy where it's not useful. That last one takes the longest for most folks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only problem still is that my cardio is horrible.

Don't feel too bad about it, you are going to get fitter and gain more stamina but we've had people in who are considered very fit in other sports ie long distance running, triathlon , football, rugby etc but who found grappling very difficult and they were very surprised when they gassed. They did so mostly because as you've read in others posts they were trying to muscle through and being beginners didn't know many techniques to use.
While 'laying and praying' is not encouraged in MMA fights and BJJ comps it's fine to do that when you are a beginner figuring out your next move. Later on once you have more experience you will be working out moves two or three ahead, and training smarter rather than harder.

I know it's agony at the moment but it does get better.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
250 !!!
Try not to use all your muscle and size

I am 6-1 and 160 only and only at it 18 months

The No-gi is more mma and less complex
The Gi has infinite moves and positions
as the saying goes ignorance is bliss

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Firstly, glad to hear the enthusiasm and if you stick with it, you will get better. 250 lbs is a lot of 'meat' to move around so as Gweilo said, getting control of your breathing will help tremendously with the gas tank. The more experience you have rolling the more comfort you will feel and the less tendency you will have to hold your breath and gas yourself out. Good luck and keep rolling.

250 pounds may mean you get tired fast but you will have huge power on any shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions