New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
here is a red belt with an instructional of kicking ones gravity away from the heavy bag,

and he ends it with "good job".

Belts mean nothing

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
here is a red belt with an instructional of kicking ones gravity away from the heavy bag,

and he ends it with "good job".

Belts mean nothing

That was the point I made that you disagreed with. That belts, including black belts, mean nothing, so competing with them is not a sign of you being advanced.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh maaan I am SO anti sine!!!! Cosine too that's the literal worst! Now tangent...... is much more my flavour!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was the point I made that you disagreed with. That belts, including black belts, mean nothing, so competing with them is not a sign of you being advanced.

I'm in the advanced realm according to the original standard which very few TKD and Karate instructors uphold.

For instance, if someone trains to red belt now, and is a better TKD athlete than me, he will whoop my *** even if I train to 5th degree.

That is not likely to be true of any yellow, green, and probably not blue belt (starts to get sweaty though)

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, Some understand it differently. How does General Choi classify First Dan?

Choi defines it much like Judo does; knowing the basics. Basics are however the most important aspect so knowing that is advanced in and of itself

But this isn't an easily definable matter. There are so many variables that go into martial arts prowess and very few have top marks in everything. Actually, I can't think of anyone who does.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we can get back on track for just a second. One of the things I object to about Sine Wave is that it emphasizes something we naturally do anyway, that is rise and sink into motions. In order to distinguish Chois concept then, it has to be more pronounced and that's why it's self-defeating and unnatural.

Just my 50 cents..
Sir, Do you feel the same about slow motion techniques? How about the ones where you balance on one leg.? Etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the advanced realm according to the original standard which very few TKD and Karate instructors uphold.

For instance, if someone trains to red belt now, and is a better TKD athlete than me, he will whoop my *** even if I train to 5th degree.

That is not likely to be true of any yellow, green, and probably not blue belt (starts to get sweaty though)

Thank you for the laugh.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hate to bark up the wrong tree but Choi's black belt in Shotokan was never certified, was it Earl? :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly, there will always be outliers that make your statement true. But looking at the bigger picture belts are still very useful tools to help people navigate their training with an easy marker and/or target. In no way does that preclude a certain level of training. Quite the opposite.
It is a treacherous position when any swing dxxk can go out a purchase a black belt. Just like the same person can give themselves the title of President, CEO, GM, etc... The proof is in the pudding not the outward appearance.

I hope the perception of belting hasn't degraded to the point that they are a 'joke' to most people.

We are such strange creatures; how we seem to get more enjoyment out of watching people failures more than their successes.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sadly, there will always be outliers that make your statement true. But looking at the bigger picture belts are still very useful tools to help people navigate their training with an easy marker and/or target. In no way does that preclude a certain level of training. Quite the opposite.
It is a treacherous position when any swing dxxk can go out a purchase a black belt. Just like the same person can give themselves the title of President, CEO, GM, etc... The proof is in the pudding not the outward appearance.

I hope the perception of belting hasn't degraded to the point that they are a 'joke' to most people.

We are such strange creatures; how we seem to get more enjoyment out of watching people failures more than their successes.

All those in-between colored belts and stripes is western capitalism. In asia you had two or three belts until 1st dan.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All those in-between colored belts and stripes is western capitalism. In asia you had two or three belts until 1st dan.
Yea, there are several threads on here about stripes, stars, buttons and such used on belts to stretch out the curriculum.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I meant they mean nothing in the context of this forum. With people from multiple different arts, there's no standards, so while jaimseau may give black belts after a year (i mention him because I believe he said that's what his org does in korea..they truly view it as a starting point, you may give them (on average) in five years, bjj gives them in 10, and I earned mine in 15. So in context of discussing how advanced each practitioner is, it doesn't play a huge role.

In fact, i can think of someone on this forum who started martial arts way after I joined this forum and recently got her 2nd degree in TKD, meaning she's a higher rank than me (in a different system), but that doesn't mean she's more advanced. Or at a level I'd consider advanced in general.

Latest Discussions