New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I obviously meant need NOT refer to patterns. I missed writing out the "not" .

There is too a separate section, it's called "punching: common principles"
Clearly - Again, you misunderstand. Try again. Volume 3 contains Hand techniques. Attack principles are the first General section followed by other sections such as Punching, striking etc. There is no separate section in any volume specifying different methodology for attack techniques or Lunching techniques in patterns.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wrote that General Choi did a 180. Do you know what that means? And Yes I can give you the page but you will have to bare with me because I don't know which chapter.

What you said at post 408 was:
"General Choi at one point reportedly did a 180 and claimed that Karate is a Taekkyon derivative." I asked for your source and you state "A Killing Art" My review indicates the book not only did not support your statement of what General Choi allegedly claimed, but indicates why he would not say that at the referenced page.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What you said at post 408 was:
"General Choi at one point reportedly did a 180 and claimed that Karate is a Taekkyon derivative." I asked for your source and you state "A Killing Art" My review indicates the book not only did not support your statement of what General Choi allegedly claimed, but indicates why he would not say that at the referenced page.

There is a chapter describing how Chois claims got more and more outrageous, and that is where that can be found. I don't have the urge to read through the hole book again but It's somewhere chapter 1-5

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Please point me to where he specifies his own principle of "respect" or are you confusing it with "Courtesy"

Respect is a budo philosophy tied tot he traditional martial arts. Every single person I've ever encountered espousing it fell short of it. General Choi's statements in that press conference about the KKW/WTF is cringeworthy.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Respect is a budo philosophy tied tot he traditional martial arts. Every single person I've ever encountered espousing it fell short of it. General Choi's statements in that press conference about the KKW/WTF is cringeworthy.
Sir, 'respect' is a base principle in every vein of philosophy I have ever read. It is not exclusive.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again? Let it go.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
All those in-between colored belts and stripes is western capitalism. In asia you had two or three belts until 1st dan.
Belts are useful for competition. Helps pair folks up with others at roughly the same level of skill and training. Not just about making a buck.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Novice
noun
  1. 1.
    a person new to and inexperienced in a job or situation.
Sounds like a white belt to me and not a black belt going by proper language.
"Novice" is one of those words that can be used as an absolute term or a relative term. Someone may actually be brand new to a position, and so clearly a novice. Someone may also be new or inexperienced relative to someone else, and be considered a novice. So a white belt is a novice in the absolute sense of the word. But a black belt may also be novice relative to a much more experienced practitioner.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Monthly fee seems to be an American thing. In Sweden you pay for 6 months of training all up front. In America that's apparently viewed as Mcdojo which I find odd.
I heard in Sweden, the city government pays your dues out of general revenue tax dollars.

Just kidding, but the idea of paying 6 months at a time is only an indication of a McDojo if the idea is to lock you into a 6 month contract while simultaneously counting on you quitting after a month or two.

As an aside... are you in Sweden? Neat.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. So, I've read the entire thread, and I will admit I can't tell if @Acronym dislikes Gen. Choi, likes Gen. Choi, is trying to discredit Gen. Choi, or is actually trying to discredit TKD. Outside of some really inappropriate and sexist comments, though, it was a wild ride.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belts are useful for competition. Helps pair folks up with others at roughly the same level of skill and training. Not just about making a buck.
And can serve that same purpose in classes, especially where rank indicates what portion of the curriculum has been learned.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a chapter describing how Chois claims got more and more outrageous, and that is where that can be found. I don't have the urge to read through the hole book again but It's somewhere chapter 1-5

Sir, so, support for your claim your claim is your belief that somewhere in some book someone said that someone said something. Got it.

Further the discussion has to do with him allegedly changing his mind or doing a "180" had nothing to do with his thoughts on KKW but was a discussion of how he wants technique performed. Are you deliberately trying to change the discussion?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions