Never Do a Headbutt!!!

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you use your forehead to execute a headbutt, as indicated in the article, you are a "butt-head". You want to make contact using the area about 1" above the scalp line (for most people). The skull is much thicker there, and the foreward tilt in your head will result in much less foreward movement/impact of your own brain against the inside of your skull.

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
If you use your forehead to execute a headbutt, as indicated in the article, you are a "butt-head". You want to make contact using the area about 1" above the scalp line (for most people). The skull is much thicker there, and the foreward tilt in your head will result in much less foreward movement/impact of your own brain against the inside of your skull.

How does the tilt of your head lessen the impact to the brain in a full forced headbutt?

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of headbutts. I don't like the idea of striking a person with something that contains my brain. We spend so much time learning how to block our heads, why would you want to turn around and use that area as a weapon?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everything in the article makes sense, and I've never considered a headbutt a weapon I would use by choice. The problem headbutts pose is that your assailant may try to do one to you, which could be seen as forcing you to perform an unwilling headbutt (with a particularly soft part of your head) on him. So the trick is to prevent yourself from getting headbutted, since the brain-shock danger Hochheim outlines will very likely play itself out in both the perpetrator and the victim in a headbutt attack.

People who study recurrent patterns of violent attack sequences, such as Geoff Thompson, Peyton Quinn and other MAists with a high degree of street credibility, have identified double-hand grabs as very typical set-ups for a head-butt. That means that should you find yourself on the receiving end of such a grab, you have to strike first, before the butt can be delivered. A fair amount of the kata/hyung bunkai analysis I've seen from in the work of the `bunkai-jutsu' crowd includes demonstrations of extremely effective tactics against double-hand grabs of just this sort recoverable from traditional, possibly ancient kata and their KMA permutations. So while it seems to me definitely a bad idea to count on performing a head butt, it would probably be extremely worthwhile working on realistic combat tactics to incapacitate an assailant who starts with, or moves into, a double-hand grab, on the understanding that you'd better be successful or you may very find yourself on the receiving end of a headbutt.

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
Everything in the article makes sense, and I've never considered a headbutt a weapon I would use by choice. The problem headbutts pose is that your assailant may try to do one to you, which could be seen as forcing you to perform an unwilling headbutt (with a particularly soft part of your head) on him. So the trick is to prevent yourself from getting headbutted, since the brain-shock danger Hochheim outlines will very likely play itself out in both the perpetrator and the victim in a headbutt attack.

People who study recurrent patterns of violent attack sequences, such as Geoff Thompson, Peyton Quinn and other MAists with a high degree of street credibility, have identified double-hand grabs as very typical set-ups for a head-butt. That means that should you find yourself on the receiving end of such a grab, you have to strike first, before the butt can be delivered. A fair amount of the kata/hyung bunkai analysis I've seen from in the work of the `bunkai-jutsu' crowd includes demonstrations of extremely effective tactics against double-hand grabs of just this sort recoverable from traditional, possibly ancient kata and their KMA permutations. So while it seems to me definitely a bad idea to count on performing a head butt, it would probably be extremely worthwhile working on realistic combat tactics to incapacitate an assailant who starts with, or moves into, a double-hand grab, on the understanding that you'd better be successful or you may very find yourself on the receiving end of a headbutt.

Hm! Very interesting, thank you!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a fan of headbutts. I don't like the idea of striking a person with something that contains my brain. We spend so much time learning how to block our heads, why would you want to turn around and use that area as a weapon?

I'm with you. After spending years learning how to stop someone else from punching or kicking my head why would I then put my precious brain in harm's way with a head-butt.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a clinch type of situation a head butt will deliever enough pain to distract your opponent. This will allow you enough time so you can change up your defense/offense techniques.
After all, twenty pounds of calcium across the nose can provide alot of distraction. :ultracool

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Head butts work in two situations IMO. As a "sucker punch" of sorts, and when you are on top of someone, in there guard. But they are a dangerous one, connecting wrong could make you a little wobbly, and I don't like the idea of having teeth stuck in my head. But "Never headbutt" is too much of a absolute. At certain times they could be your best option, no need to have tossed it out.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen many a headbutt used in barfights, and I have never seen anyone knock themselves out with one. I've seen plenty of people get their noses smashed across their faces by one, though.

Definately a tool worth keeping.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never been a fan of headbutting either.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Head butts work in two situations IMO. As a "sucker punch" of sorts, and when you are on top of someone, in there guard. But they are a dangerous one, connecting wrong could make you a little wobbly, and I don't like the idea of having teeth stuck in my head. But "Never headbutt" is too much of a absolute. At certain times they could be your best option, no need to have tossed it out.

Especially if your hands may be occupied, tied, blocked, or injured for whatever reason. A headbutt is a "tool within your toolbox" to use if it happens to be the right one for the situation. I really dislike the word "never" because if this is a life-threatening situation, sometimes a headbutt may be a choice that might save you, despite the risk.

- Ceicei

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
you can make a very similar argument for "never punch somebody" you can easily break a finger, sprain a wrist, tear up the muscles in your arm, shoulder and chest.

better advice would be "never do a headbutt wrong"

a well-placed upper scalp to a nose or eye ridge is a beautiful tool. a great sucker punch (as was mentioned). i often teach it in womens' self-defense for two reasons. one, womens' sd often happens at extreme close range. two, nobody expects a women to up and headbutt them.

as ceicei said, it's a 'tool for the toolbox' and not one i'd advise we lock away any time soon.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have permission to do a headbutt any time I want................the wife says I don't have a brain in my head anyway, so nothing to lose...:banghead: :lfao:

Karambit

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Bushido.Like any other tool in MA's I think it's all about the propper execution.Very few people do a headbutt properly.They use too much of a back-swing and dont use their hands to control/pin the other persons head,so that they can avoid hitting forehead to forehead like a couple of Rams.This is stupid VanDamme style and can cause damage,due to the forces and densities of the target being similar.This is dangerous! and although the possibility of brain damage is rare,there is a greater risk of a fracture to the cervical spine,mostly in the c4-c5 arera.
I learned about closed head injuries in school,and have spoken to a few credible neurologists regarding this topic,and although everyone is built different,the consensus is that you would need a high amount of force to cause Jarring and displacement of the brain,that is capable of any significant damage.
We see knockouts all the time,mostly due to the rapid twisting of the cranium which is accelerating faster then the brain.This causes acceleration/deceleration and short circuits the brain,as a safety mechanism.People like Muhamad Ali I dont think had this safety feature,and took repetitive blows for many years which MAY have caused his parkinsin's disease.It's not a proven fact.
The brain is very well protected,despite what people think.Although the cerebral cortex has the consistency of Jello,It is protected by 3 layers of meninges(dura mater,pia mater and arachnoid membrane)which has cerebral spinal fluid cousing through to create good shock absorbtion.This is sealed by a cranium which is 3/4" thick,except at the temples which is only 1/4"
A strong neck is the key! if you have well developed muscles in the neck and trapezius,this will stabalize the head,and reduce the risk of rapid shifting,twisting and snapping. We see this often in females,that sustain whiplash injuries in auto accidents,mostly due to the weaker neck muscles and failure to contract much needed muscular neck support which leads into coup contra-coup closed head injuries.Keep in mind that these are great forces,like a Thai knee causing the same amount of damage as a 35 mph car crash.
The propper way to head but, when you can is to thumb the eyes,grab the back of the persons head for strong control,then while keeping your head tucked in,drive through to the nose and jawline with the area right above your hairline ala Paul Vunak style :banghead:

It was speculated for years that soccer players were at risk from heading the ball accelerating downwards from 30-40 feet,which was carrying more weight from the rain?? It was later proven that the mild concussions were from the neck buckling and causing rapid tilting of the skull.

Also look at the people that break boards and cement slabs with their cranium vaults?? It's not a problem,just as long as you follow through so that there is no sudden deceleration.No different then a fist,chop or palm strike.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having used headbutts I can say for sure that if executed properly they definately work and won`t hurt you.. much. However I consider it a weapon of last resort and a risky one at that.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Head butts are built into my system, especially into the escape type techniques. Similar to the blocking type systems my students are taught proper head butts by using a head butt system. This teaches the student what part of the head to strike with, how to properly chamber the neck muscles for striking or holding and where to strike your opponent,(not just about his head).
If you use head butts this is a way to go.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree..NOT a prefered choice, but a wicked surprize in a clinch...

Right you are, it's a desperation move... as in all cases, you have to weigh the odds. Given the serious risks (sure, you can break your fingers punching—one reason to prefer open-handed/knife-hand, hammer-fist or, especially, palm-heel strikes to hard targets—but there's a big difference between damaging your hand and damaging your brain in terms of aftermath, eh? I mean, they can't just put your brain in a splint :wink1:) you probably want to reserve headbutts for situations when not using one would be even worse...

Latest Discussions