Nerve Strikes

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While surfing the web, I came across this article and thought I'd sahre it, especially seeing that it features our very own Doc Chapel!!!:cool:
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/142

Obviously this is a big part of SL4. Just curious as to who else out there in the Kenpo world, focuses on this part of the art. Do you feel that its an important aspect?

Looking forward to your replies! :)

Mike

pad256

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My instructor informs his students on where nerve bundles are and some of the affects when struck but this article from black belt mag was a good read, I'll inquire about this with him get his thoughts and investigate a little further.

I have explored, but only on the surface of Dim Mak, how different from DIM MAK is SL4?

Paul

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
looks like a very good read. Ill have to ask my instructor if there are any.

Does anyone know if there are nerve strikes in SKK?

B

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nerve / pressure point attacks were not a major factor within the "old SKK" systems. Many of us who live within an area of four season dropped most of this type of training. During the colder seasons the heavier outer clothing that is worn can cancel the effects of a nerve / pressure point attack.
Many of us instead turned to training that would increase the power of our strikes. These more powerful strikes could then be used against someone who was wearing heavier outer clothing.
Other area's that were also added to many SKK systems were a stronger judo / throwing base and better ground work.
Adapt to were you dwell.
:enguard:

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nerve / pressure point attacks were not a major factor within the "old SKK" systems. Many of us who live within an area of four season dropped most of this type of training. During the colder seasons the heavier outer clothing that is worn can cancel the effects of a nerve / pressure point attack.
Many of us instead turned to training that would increase the power of our strikes. These more powerful strikes could then be used against someone who was wearing heavier outer clothing.
Other area's that were also added to many SKK systems were a stronger judo / throwing base and better ground work.
Adapt to were you dwell.
Thanks!

I asked my instructor last night about it and he told me that there are some in the higher ranks.

B

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how's this?:

place your thumb at center of mouth of target and then slide your thumb under their upperlip(so they cannot bite) and then press the facial nerve that runs along under the cheek close to the noseflap/inside of mouth..

j

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Adapt to were you dwell.

I agree with this. IMO, it would be better to develop the more powerful strikes and throws rather than relying on openings and angles to strike nerve points, BUT they can be very damaging when struck no doubt!

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with this. IMO, it would be better to develop the more powerful strikes and throws rather than relying on openings and angles to strike nerve points, BUT they can be very damaging when struck no doubt!
I agree to but I like the idea of have both weapons in my arsenal. Only good things could come from learning both, as a martial artist, Right?

B

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My SKK teacher is also certified as a Level 2 Instructor in Kyusho.

We've found that most if not all fo the SKK techniques that we do (which are somewhat different than most of the written techs I have seen) already strike pretty close to the targets used in Kyusho. So it takes only small adjustments to use them.

In fact if you are near Omaha this weekend (2/16/8) we are having Kyusho class...

-David

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I think that its a worthwhile area to study. While I'm far from an expert, there have been many times, without really thinking about it, that I've done a technique and struck a point, during my block or a strike. Reading the article, this is covered much more in depth with Docs material. :)

I think they're also a good less lethal alternative. If you can target a nerve and deaden the arm, more along the lines of pain compliance, that may be a better option compared to breaking someones nose or doing something where the damage will be more visable and possibly more severe.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is my opinon that neve attacks are better suited when a person has only one hand free. Example,
*during an escape,
*weapons suppression,
*ground suppression and so on.
During a stand up free fight an open offensive doorway will change, (location / range), very rapidly. The required approach doorways for nerve attacks are fairly narrow and this can make the nerve point harder to hit during a free fight. Even the type of impact and the angle of impact are very important.
During a free fight most fighter, after receiving a few hard blows, are highly charged and can fend off pain easily.
Again this is just my experience and opinon talking.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who says you have to do nerve strikes with your hand? ;)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is my opinon that neve attacks are better suited when a person has only one hand free. Example,
*during an escape,
*weapons suppression,
*ground suppression and so on.
During a stand up free fight an open offensive doorway will change, (location / range), very rapidly. The required approach doorways for nerve attacks are fairly narrow and this can make the nerve point harder to hit during a free fight. Even the type of impact and the angle of impact are very important.
During a free fight most fighter, after receiving a few hard blows, are highly charged and can fend off pain easily.
Again this is just my experience and opinon talking.

That is a misconception.

Latest Discussions