Need some help...

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a dentist's appointment tomorrow. Does anybody have any tips or whatever for relaxation techniques?

Here's hoping I get responses quickly!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, what works is to run visualisations of iai kata in my head. The concentration and calmness that brings is sufficient to take the edge off (no pun intended).

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I run scales in my head while I'm in the chair, generally in odd keys to make me think about it a little more. Won't do you any good if you're not a muso, though.

Listen to some really relaxing music before you go, or do some meditation or deep breathing.

Promise yourself a treat after you've gone, like a nice lunch or your favourite coffee. Unless of course you've gotten something frozen and can't function mouth-wise. ;)

If food's out of the question, promise yourself you'll get a book or CD that you've always wanted. Then go and get it right away after leaving the dentist. Then you'll start associating the dentist with gettting something fun, and it won't be so bad. I always treat myself to some fast food or a really huge, nice coffee after the dentist. Works like a charm for me.

It also helps if your hygenist/dentist a real hottie. I've had three amazingly hot ladies as my hygenists for the past seven years or so.

Good luck!

-Mark

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
deep breathing and meditation helps but it is difficult when you have to keep your mouth wide open. I had one painful procedure where I was meditating but the nurse kept shaking my arm thinking I was in trouble so it really didn't work. good luck.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Try to remember to drop your shoulders from time to time. I know when I am in the chair, I will catch myself tensing up and dropping my shoulders just kinda told my body to relax