Need more snap to technique?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
But that is not teaching. That would be having a conversation with his Master.

Teaching set classed weekly and being responcible for a group of students as well as fill in duties is way more than just having some Jr's. you give advice to or help out, in my eyes.

A useful distinction is whether you are teaching curriculum that is new to some or all, vs. reviewing. If you are covering new ground with them in an assigned role, then you are their teacher because you are functionally responsible for their learning. For that content they are indeed your students. I think they can be both your students and your master's...no conflict in my mind.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
But that is not teaching. That would be having a conversation with his Master.

Ok, how about this example. The teacher never learned the Taeguek poomsae. One of his students buys the Kukkiwon DVD set and teaches the teacher the Taeguek poomsae. Can the student now called his teacher "my student"?

Teaching set classed weekly and being responcible for a group of students as well as fill in duties is way more than just having some Jr's. you give advice to or help out, in my eyes.

That is what senior do for their juniors, give advice, help out, and a lot of other things. The Junior Senior relationship is one of the hallmarks of the Korean martial arts, almost as important as (but different from) the teacher student relationship.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, how about this example. The teacher never learned the Taeguek poomsae. One of his students buys the Kukkiwon DVD set and teaches the teacher the Taeguek poomsae. Can the student now called his teacher "my student"?]/quote]
Not sure that this really applies either, as the student really did not teach anything. It would be really hard for the student to truly teach his teacher. I do understand what you are trying to get at, but with anything there is always something we can learn from anyone. To try and make the analogy that you are would mean to take the concept of student/teacher to literal in almost a comical sense.
That is what senior do for their juniors, give advice, help out, and a lot of other things. The Junior Senior relationship is one of the hallmarks of the Korean martial arts, almost as important as (but different from) the teacher student relationship.
Agreed but when you teach weekly and have a set of kid that you teach in a class daily then I think you are doing more than just helping. Those students in that class are being taught by you, and you are call or titled Instructor. Then what does that make the students you teach? The Master may come out to assist or even run a class every now and then but for the most part it is left up to the Jr. of the Master.

What if Master has his set of classes that he runs but he does not run them all? What if there are 3 Master instructors in one school but one Master Owner? Each Master instructor also teach his/her own set of classes. What if two of the Master instructors teach from 9th Gup to 3rd Gup but then the Master instructor teach from 3rd Gup on up? Do those other Masters not have any students? At the same time any student can go to any Master for help or advice?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure that this really applies either, as the student really did not teach anything. It would be really hard for the student to truly teach his teacher.

It depends on the teacher, and the student. I know I learn from my students, especially the better ones who are out there taking the initiative and trying to go to the next level.

I do understand what you are trying to get at, but with anything there is always something we can learn from anyone. To try and make the analogy that you are would mean to take the concept of student/teacher to literal in almost a comical sense.

So what is the difference between my examples and your situation? You seem to be arguing that if you teach someone, they are your student.

Agreed but when you teach weekly and have a set of kid that you teach in a class daily then I think you are doing more than just helping. Those students in that class are being taught by you, and you are call or titled Instructor. Then what does that make the students you teach? The Master may come out to assist or even run a class every now and then but for the most part it is left up to the Jr. of the Master.

Left up to the junior of the Master. I don't know what that means, within the context of a school.

What if Master has his set of classes that he runs but he does not run them all? What if there are 3 Master instructors in one school but one Master Owner? Each Master instructor also teach his/her own set of classes. What if two of the Master instructors teach from 9th Gup to 3rd Gup but then the Master instructor teach from 3rd Gup on up? Do those other Masters not have any students? At the same time any student can go to any Master for help or advice?

You should go ask your teacher to explain it to you, since you seem to be talking about your dojang situation now. Better yet, after he explains, ask him if anyone explained it to him, or if he thought this up on his own.

I think one of the big reasons why there is so much differences of "opinion" is because everyone is going off on what they think, as opposed to what they were taught. Ask a senior Korean born practitioner about these sorts of things, and they generally all give the same or very similar answers. That's because they were all taught the same way, even if they were from different Kwan.

Latest Discussions