Need help picking a dojo; I could use the opinions of more experienced people =D

Gnodab

White Belt
Reaction score
So, there are three dojos, as far I can tell, in my area. They are:

Bujinkan Orange County
http://www.bujinkanorangecounty.com/

Lifeskills Martial Arts
http://lifeskillsma.com/

Bujinkan Ohoko Dojo
http://www.ohoko.com/frames.htm

Of course I am going to check the places out before I join one, but I really don't have much knowledge to go on, so I was wondering what y'all think of the various dojos from their web sites. Which would you choose, keeping mind that Bujinkan Orange County is a 25-30 minute drive?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Frankly, they are all very similar in appearance from the websites... so my advice will be the same as it would have been had I not checked the sites out.

The single most important reason to join any dojo/school/gym etc is not necessarily the art being taught, but the instructor and the school itself. So visit each location if you can, and talk with the instructors and other students there. While each may be very good in their own way, you may find that one stands out to you. It may be the way the instructor explains things, it may be the atmosphere with the students, or it may be something else entirely.

The important thing is that we will not be the ones who will be attending the dojo, you will, so choose according to your own feelings and preferences. But by all means keep us informed of your decision and progress, and good luck with your journey!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would go and take a free class in all of them and then find which one has the best feel for you!
icon14.gif

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
What they said. I mean, you could be at the nicest, most well=equipped dojo in the world with the most expereinced teacher...and if you don't mesh...then you will have a hard time learning from them.

Peace,
Erik

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine trains with Shihan Blackwood every once in a while, and says good things about him. This gentlemen also lives in your area and runs a non commercial dojo. If you would like, I can send you his information, but he is headed to Japan this afternoon to take his Godan test.

ginny

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi

good advise from brian, have a lesson their first usually are free and see how they are.

This may sound crap but i had a problem with the rolling when i started and 15 mins with the instructor of my dojo really ironed out my problem (not breathing out, believe it or not) it was not the rolling at all as we tried it on my knee's and i did it perfect - standing doing it was my problem.

what i am getting at is the correct dojo and somewhere where you feel the silly things (like my rolling) are not being laughed at and you feel at home really make the difference in your learning.

good luck and i am sure whatever you choose you will enjoy your journey

g

Latest Discussions