Near death experience

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been afraid of heights for most of my life. As in: it can be a challenge to change lights in a ceiling fixture.
So for an early birthday present, I jumped out a perfectly good airplane from 4000 feet. I didn't exactly stick the landing, but I didn't die, either.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been afraid of heights for most of my life. As in: it can be a challenge to change lights in a ceiling fixture.
So for an early birthday present, I jumped out a perfectly good airplane from 4000 feet. I didn't exactly stick the landing, but I didn't die, either.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: - You looked really nervous! At least you conquered your fear. :D - I'm scared of heights too, but only when I'm not protected (having no parachute for example). I will feel better knowing that I have two parachutes, just in case one fails to open.

This I will do any day. In fact, I'd like to have a board attached to my feet so I can land skiing on the grass! :D:rolleyes:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't now why someone reacted "funny", but I am very impressed. I have the same fear, which I keep hidden from people because of pride, but there is no way i would have been able to do that. It's amazing you were able to, and I hope one day to be able to do the same.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't now why someone reacted "funny", but I am very impressed. I have the same fear, which I keep hidden from people because of pride, but there is no way i would have been able to do that. It's amazing you were able to, and I hope one day to be able to do the same.

I reacted funny, because I found it funny, yet at the same time I applaud him for doing what he did, because it DOES take a lot of courage. I am not making fun of him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

good on you, i did one about 30 years ago, i wasn't scared of height till i did it, i got to the edge of the plane and couldn't let go, just could release my grip, then the instructed, put her foot in the small of my back and forced me out, still have nightmares about it

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a strange fear of heights. Ive jumped from Planes, Helicopters, done SPIE Rigging, Repelling from Helicopters, down the side of buildings, and cliffs no problem. Put me on the roof of a single or 2 story house Im done ill freeze up. I guess Im afraid of low heights. My though process is I fall from a really high distance Ill just die and it wont matter, fall from the roof i wont die but its gong to hurt lol.

Anyway Congrats man

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done, man! My fear of heights is pretty limited. A bit of exposure, and it goes away. I worked as a lighting designer/engineer for some local theatre companies for a while on the world's wobbliest catwalks. I was scared ****less the first few times out, but gradually got used to it. If I stop playing on heights, it comes back. Getting out of that plane would have been a challenge, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is what the class before the jump looked like:

Sadly, I cannot find the clip of the actual jump or the result. Everyone was fine, but since the wife of Truman Sparks (the pilot and skydiving instructor) had packed the dirty laundry in a spare chute sack that the skydiver was wearing, it was 'another wash day shot to hell'. Thank goodness for the reserve chute.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: - You looked really nervous! At least you conquered your fear. :D - I'm scared of heights too, but only when I'm not protected (having no parachute for example). I will feel better knowing that I have two parachutes, just in case one fails to open.

This I will do any day. In fact, I'd like to have a board attached to my feet so I can land skiing on the grass! :D:rolleyes:

I was probably even more scared than I looked, to be honest.

Takes courage to face your fear and press beyond. Awesome!!!
And yeah the face plant landing was funny but...dude!!...You Did It!!

I got my chin tucked and rolled out. No face plant. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dog, that's awesome!

But you said it, the same line I've always used - "I jumped out a perfectly good airplane".

I'm afraid of heights, too. Hated my years as a part time roofer. Always wanted to skydive, but always chickened out. But now, I have lived vicariously through you....and your madness!

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was probably even more scared than I looked, to be honest.

I got my chin tucked and rolled out. No face plant. :)

Lol. You look like the type of guy who doesn't show it when he's scared; instead you go silent? :D - just an observation... (I'm also like that; same when upset :hilarious:).

All in all, it was a very courageous move. You should be proud of yourself! :smug:

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Im so afraid of heights too hahahah like in the mall if i go to the high floor i get this cold hands and like started paniking hahahaha my gawd i need to get over that

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ha ha ha. awesome break fall. Thanks for sharing. Jumping out of a plane is definitely not one of the easiest things do on the first try.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it was the honest experience of it all and how Dirty Dog stated he didn't exactly stick the landing. I read it as his good nature so when I saw the video it felt O.K. to laugh. For me it wasn't a laugh at a person, but laugh with a person. Like when your friend does something and goofs it up a bit.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heights don't bother me. Climbing trees as a kid helped a lot. Falling out of trees not so much. The falling part is easy. It's the landing that makes me nervous.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heights. Yeah, there's all kinds of heights. To me, all of them bad.

Latest Discussions