NCAA Play off

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok make your pick for the final game and pick the championship team for the first real play off in college football in this country.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not quite real enough for me. I want a 16 team playoff with higher seeded teams getting home field advantage, bye, etc. Okay wait, I guess I have that with the pro's. :)

Okay so with the College Playoff I think Alabama wins it this year. Not sold on Oregon after they have lost their best cornerback to a season ending injury. Florida State is really weak this year. It is not last years team. Ohio State will give Alabama a run for the money but in the end we probably have Alabama vs. Oregon and Alabama rolling to another Championship that is not quite as mythical as it used to b!.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm too crazed about the NFL to look for the extra time needed to really enjoy college football. But it's nice to see a playoff format finally get here.

I can't ever root for Bama, always been an Auburn guy. But, to me, Oregon is the most fun to watch. So I'm picking them.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alabama looks flat this year like they just expect to show up and win without trying.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I have got this right. State against State, but the best college/university being the club. Would that be tradition or based on a performance. Sorry Oft, but really curious here ;)

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
after a season of play the top college teams based on a win/lose record are going to a play off for the first time to determine the championship this year.
The Ducks are Oregon.
Some of the teams have state names some are named for the city they play out of or the region of the states they play in or for some famous person. Confusing if you do not live here or follow the game.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after a season of play the top college teams based on a win/lose record are going to a play off for the first time to determine the championship this year.
The Ducks are Oregon.
Some of the teams have state names some are named for the city they play out of or the region of the states they play in or for some famous person. Confusing if you do not live here or follow the game.

Nah that is understandable. In some respects, we have the same with our Soccer structure. You states, we have counties. At the amateur level, I guess the college structure for you is comparable, we have local leagues upto the county leagues. These are like the lower to mid like teams, with the what we call the conference, rebranded to Blue Square Premier League, and two lower North and South. The cream of the amateur footballer, or in modern parlance, Part Time. Well forgive any ignorance here, I would put college as top amateur :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus they all have nicknames or mascots. My team Michigan State University hails from the state of Michigan. It's nickname is the Spartans and we have a mascot called Sparty.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah that is understandable. In some respects, we have the same with our Soccer structure. You states, we have counties. At the amateur level, I guess the college structure for you is comparable, we have local leagues upto the county leagues. These are like the lower to mid like teams, with the what we call the conference, rebranded to Blue Square Premier League, and two lower North and South. The cream of the amateur footballer, or in modern parlance, Part Time. Well forgive any ignorance here, I would put college as top amateur :)

Yes that would be very similar. College athletes here are amature but.... they also get a free college or university education based on what level of college they play at and also what sport they are in. (some get none, some get partial and some get full tuition and room and board depending on the divisional level)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus they all have nicknames or mascots. My team Michigan State University hails from the state of Michigan. It's nickname is the Spartans and we have a mascot called Sparty.

Yeah my club is Everton, which is in Liverpool, remember the choon "Across the Mersey by Gerry and the Pacemakers I think. Anyway we nicknamed "The Toffees" after the famous Everton Mint. The other is simply "The Blues" our Latin Moto Is "Nothing but the best is good enough - Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. Our common chant or abbreviation to COYB is "Come on you Blues. Ground - Goodison Park, Liverpool.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Tim Howard, the Goalie with the chin nest :D Yeah our biggest GK legend is Neville Southall. Tim Howard though, he is a legend like no other. The concentration he has to apply is enormous. Yes I would say he is Everton's greatest Goalie!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few of your teams games when my son watches them. Great talent on the pitch!

Yeah, but we are languishing mid table at the moment. A few injuries to key players. We missed our wizard winger Kevin Mirallas for a while. Plus the English future midfield general in Ross Barkley. But we have been misfiring big time. In terms of goals, and overall tempo. And of course, the biggest Goodison enigma that is Leon Osman. I'm trying to remember the name of a Bills QB in the 90's, inconsistent. Those superbowls and all that. I had a short lived fascination with Buffalo.

Anyway, Leon is a massive player for us on his day, buy we are talking a week inbetween. We rely to much on Kevin for that flair, so we have been a bit pedestrian, slow and frustrating :( Last season top five, and we have qualified for the next round of the Europa League ad group winners. But still, to have peace of mind, we still need top five. Here's hoping :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Listening to the radio today they have pretty much given next years national title Michigan after the Harbaugh hire

Latest Discussions