Nasty Reminder

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes, I feel as though I'm wasting my time. It's not that I don't enjoy training, and I'd never give it up, but it's been so long since someone actually threatened me that I feel as though I'll never need to use what I know.

Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.

Then, once in a while, something comes along and reminds why I keep putting in 100% effort, just in case.

Unfortunately, I had one such reminder today.

A friend of mine was subjected to an unprovoked attack on Saturday night, thrown down in the street, kicked in the head and then left in the middle of the road. They stomped on him so hard you can see the boot print on his face.

He sent me these two shocking photos, which I found in my e-mail today.

http://satansbarber.co.uk/images/me.bmp

http://satansbarber.co.uk/images/bootmark.bmp

Just remember, what you know might not only stop this happening to yourself, but you might also be able to help out your friends or family. I only wish I'd have been there with him...

I'm sorry if the pictures upset anyone.

Ian.

I'm sorry your friend went through that. It may be you carry yourself with a confidence that goes unchallenged.

I hope your friend heals damn fast. :yinyang:

Originally posted by Jill666
I'm sorry your friend went through that. It may be you carry yourself with a confidence that goes unchallenged.

I hope your friend heals damn fast. :yinyang:

I'll second that!

Grrrr, how can anybody do that to another person?
Send your friends loads of good vibes to recover asap

Good things happen to Bad People; and
Bad thing happen to Good People.

I had a friend that got beat up at a copyshop parking lot at 9:30 in the morning. He is 140 lbs. dripping wet and not obnoxious or abrasive at all. Some college football player sized person punched him and was kicking him in the head. The staff from the copy shop probably saved his life. A completly unprovoked unpredictable attack.

I see it all the time in my "other profession" and know that you are not living in the real world if you do not have "Acceptance" of the potential for violence in any society.

-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

Yeah, that's one of the most disgusting things about this, it's not just the fact that there were 4 of them onto one of him, he's so small that he never stood a chance.

I mean, I'm 5'10" and 200lb (about 4lb of which is fat to lose, the rest is muscle and bone), so I could imagine them having a go at someone like me, but Stephen's literally no higher than 5' and weighing about 110lb at the most, even though he's the same age as me. How can 4 large guys beat on someone built like that? They must have no sense of guilt or concience whatsoever.

He's also scared of retribution if he goes to the police about it, so they've basically gotten away with it, which makes it even worse.

Ian.

... even if he is reluctant to do this, he needs to file a report while the injuries are still evident. I cannot stress this enough. If there are no consequences for a bully's (or bullies') behavior, then it will probably continue. If he knows theses guys, so much the worse. I would be willing to bet they try to do it again if they get away with it the 1st time.

If he does not know them, then where does the fear of retribution come from? His own fear, which is understandable, but he needs to take care of himself some other way if he cannot physically do it, not to say any of us would not be injured fighting 4 attackers, but he needs to pursue it legally to protect himself from future assualts.

Just my opinion ... and the voice of reason and experience!

Oss,
-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

Originally posted by satans.barber
Sometimes, I feel as though I'm wasting my time. It's not that I don't enjoy training, and I'd never give it up, but it's been so long since someone actually threatened me that I feel as though I'll never need to use what I know.

Then, once in a while, something comes along and reminds why I keep putting in 100% effort, just in case.

A friend of mine was subjected to an unprovoked attack on Saturday night, thrown down in the street, kicked in the head and then left in the middle of the road. They stomped on him so hard you can see the boot print on his face.

Just remember, what you know might not only stop this happening to yourself, but you might also be able to help out your friends or family. I only wish I'd have been there with him...

Ian.

That's just wrong. I mean what the hell is wrong with people today? I wish your friend a speedy recovery. Personally I have never been in that type of situation. I mean I'm a big guy. 6' 270 lbs. So I think people look at me and think twice. But my friend is about 6' 130 lbs. So he gets pushed and shoved around by people who think they're a bunch of tough guys. But as soon as I make my presence known they back off. So I guess some idiots look at smaller people and think they can just push them around or kick their heads in and because that person is bigger it gives them the right to do this stuff. It's just wrong. Like I said I'm a big dude but I don't go around starting fights with anyone. It's the whole "I'm a tough guy" kinda thing with these people until another person comes along and mops the floor with them. Then hopefully they learn. The only thing I could say is:

"What goes around, comes around."

Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
The only thing I could say is:

"What goes around, comes around."

I agree with you there. Eventually one, or all of those guys will pull that stunt with the wrong guy, big or small, and they will find out that it isn't very fun when there are feet prints on their faces! :)

I'm sorry to hear about your friends mishap. Please post on his progress here to let us know if he's getting better without any internal problems.

Anything can happen at any time. Acceptance of your environment is essential, after which time one should sustain total clarity in how far one will go, to protect something. By most large men in America, I'm not a big man. Interestingly enough, if my wife walks into a bar before me, men stare at her, but quickly drop their gaze when I walk in. I asked a friend of mine why...he thinks people can feel intent. I remain quite and approachable with humans, as I am fond of others...but I am certainly willing to extract life to protect my peace. He suggests that others sense I'm a nice white man, with a slight screw loose. As funny as this sounds, I sense it is this intent that keeps me out of most scraps. Preditors want prey, not other preditors.

As this man is your friend, you have my empathy towards his recovery of his Body and Spirit. Lastly, nice reminder on how we should prepare to protect those we love...that's us and others.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Thankfully, he seems to be healing up well, although he still looks a mess. You never know with these sorts of things though, I mean, if someone repeatedly kicks you in the head then there could be a blood clot or anything, it's hard to know.

I asked him if he'd been to the police yet earlier:

Satan's Barber [5:01 pm] :
have you been to the police then?
Morritt [5:01 pm] :
was talking to another copper the other day...
Morritt [5:02 pm] :
there pretty much useless
Satan's Barber [5:02 pm] :
officially or unofficially?
Morritt [5:02 pm] :
well if you listen to what her advise was officially
Satan's Barber [5:02 pm] :
and what did she say?
Morritt [5:03 pm] :
pretty much wait till they do it again and report them then.... oh and don't do anything yourself cos that would be illegal and i'd get locked up

There you go, an example of fine British policing 'wait and see if they do it again'. I despair sometimes, I really do.

He took some photographs of his injuries straight away (although with a digital camera, not a 35mm one as I suggested...not sure that digital pics would stand up as well in court) and he has 20-30 witnesses, including an off duty policeman, so there's everything he needs to prosecute, but I don't think he will.

I can't help thinking that if he doesn't it's going to be something he deeply regrets.

Ian.

What happened to your buddy is unfortunate to say the least. I am also sorry to hear of the attitude the police officer has towards this incident. I know for a fact in fine WA state things would be handled a bit differently. There would be some type of investigation for an incident such as this. Does your friend train at all? Has this event swayed his wanting to do so? He will heal.
To Mr. Billings, what is your "other profession?" If you feel you don't want to make the whole forum privy to that info I understand. :asian:

There you go, an example of fine British policing 'wait and see if they do it again'. I despair sometimes, I really do.

He took some photographs of his injuries straight away (although with a digital camera, not a 35mm one as I suggested...not sure that digital pics would stand up as well in court) and he has 20-30 witnesses, including an off duty policeman, so there's everything he needs to prosecute, but I don't think he will.

Ian.

Ian,

The thing you have to remember in this country is this:

You can commit any crime you like, and you'll probably get away with it, so long as your 'get away car' has it's MoT Certificate and Tax Disc. (For our American cousins, this is the legal documentation required to use a motor vehicle in the UK).

Les

It is no secret as I have it on my profile. I am an administrative law judge in the State of Texas.

That level of injury would have gotten an Aggravated Assault" (felony) in Texas, unless there was a "mutual combat" scenario at the time of the assault. Even then, they would have gone to the hospital and jail, respectively. The District Attorney would then dismiss or take to the Grand Jury to see if the charge would be pursued.

No off duty cop would have let that happen in the U.S. .... yeah, right, and if you click your heels together 3 times you will end up in Kansas. OK, clicking now ... I am still here! Guess some law enforcement types might like to see a fight, or not like the looks of the combatants, or not be armed, or be under the influence and "know" better than to step in, or have been injured or whatever. There are good ones and bad ones, not just in the cities, but everwhere. But my experience is that there are a lot more "good" cops than bad ones. But the old saying about one bad apple spoiling the bunch has some validity, but more so in the law enforcement agencies reputation with the public than anything else. One incident can certainly be blown out of proportion to the extent that nobody trust the police. They are still about the best friends you have, generally.

:soapbox:

Whoops, too much caffine, blood sugar a bit low, and blithering a bit. None-the-less it is still my perspective and opinion.

Oss,
-Michael
Kenpo-Texas.com

Mr. Billings,
First off, I salute you for your respectful and honorable profession. I am a cop. This may seem hard for you to fathom but most of the police officers I know would have intervened with the incident this thread was started with, if the variables you mentioned did not exist (no alcohol on board, armed). Sounds like you have met some cops that were less than honorable. I don't doubt it. However, like you said the majority are good ones. Most of us are "do-gooders" who do want to make a difference and we carry with us our morals and values, both on and off-duty.
When you had written "my other profession", I thought for sure you were a cop. I didn't even think to check your profile. Thanks for the thought exchange.

Ian.
Well you need a confidence booster!! There are a lot of great things your training has done for you over the years you just havent realized most of them. I sometimes share the same thoughts, however when you need it, it will be there providing you train hard regularly. Think of the health benefits you are recieving, and as a cop I can say, just because I carry a gun and havent shot anyone doesnt make me feel my firearms training is a waste of time. Its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Spend time with martial artists that inspire you and look back onto what got you involved in it in the first place. Maybe that will ignite your flame again. Its easy to hear of fights going bad, I remember in a tournament losing badly and Mr. Conatser reminded me that I wasnt a bad fighter I just applied the wrong techniques at that given time and that I needed further practice and experience. Start sparring some more nothing conditions you and gives you confidence like a good fight. Well sorry if I rambled i hope its helps.

I wasn't there so I don't have the exact details, but I don't think the off duty officer was there when they actually beat him up, as far as I know he was in the pub when the group threatened my friend and saw them follow him outside.

Certinaly I would hope that no off duty policeman (or lady) would ever actually stand by and watch a crime, just because they weren't in uniform; they're trained to realise that they're never really off the job. I wouldn't be surprised if some would do though.

As Les quite rightly says though, th amount of effective policing that goes on in Britain is ridiculously low, and they do seem to concentrate on vehicle licensing more than people's safety! The other week a police woman confiscated a go-cart (I think the American term is 'soap box') off three 8 year old children in a town near here because they wee playing with it in the road, and it had no tax disk. Seriously.

We don't even have a police station here now, they closed it down. There are 37,000 people in this council ward, which covers a few small villages as well as Garforth where I live, which is pretty big (where the incient happened) and all we have is a 'One Stop Center', which is a combined police station and council offices (where people to go sort out benefits etc.). Although inside the One Stop Center, there is a desk manned by only one policeman from 8am-8pm (when the least amount of crime happens).

Further to this, the policeman who mans the desk most of the time is useless. I work in the library which is directly accross the street from the One Stop Center, and a collegue of mine rang up one day to ask if the officer could come over to the library because she felt threatened by a group of glue sniffers who'd come in, and he said:

"Can it wait, I'm just eating my dinner?"

So, as a community we basically have zero police presence. Since they shut down the police station some 4 years ago now, there has been a large increase in burglaries and violence such as my friend suffered. This is rather worrying.

To give this some historical perpsective, when my Dad started his career as a policeman some 28 years ago now, he was based at the police station here in Garforth once he'd finished his training (which in those days was 2 full years, now it's 6 weeks). At the police station then there was a full shift (8 policeman) on duty at any one time, as well as a sergeant, a chief superintendant, some CID and a section of the dog squad. Of course, on Friday to Sunday evenings there would have been a police presence right up and down main street, and I douby anyone ever got their heads kicked in the middle of the road.

Now we have one useless old sod in daylight hours who can't be bothered to do his job whilst he's eating a sandwich!

Ian.

Back