Nasty Elbow Hyperextension

kenpo rusty

White Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I was working a basic hammerlock technique (Locked Wing - for any EPAK out there) and while being an uki, my elbow was hyperextended.

At least, I'm HOPING it's hyperextended. Anyway, when the technique was done, I tensed up while being torqued around, and felt/heard my elbow bubble/pop. It was numb for a minute or two, so I called time with my partner, and shook it out, stretched, etc.

About 2 hours later, I can barely move it. I have it bent, and can barely straighten it. I took motrin when I got home and got some food in me, and have been RICE-ing it for a while. Still, it hurts so bad, and when I press on the back side of my elbow, it's very tender and sore. Sorry, I don't know the anatomy of the elbow THAT well, so I can't be terribly specific.

Any tips on helping me get back to shape?

Thanks!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I was working a basic hammerlock technique (Locked Wing - for any EPAK out there) and while being an uki, my elbow was hyperextended.

At least, I'm HOPING it's hyperextended. Anyway, when the technique was done, I tensed up while being torqued around, and felt/heard my elbow bubble/pop. It was numb for a minute or two, so I called time with my partner, and shook it out, stretched, etc.

About 2 hours later, I can barely move it. I have it bent, and can barely straighten it. I took motrin when I got home and got some food in me, and have been RICE-ing it for a while. Still, it hurts so bad, and when I press on the back side of my elbow, it's very tender and sore. Sorry, I don't know the anatomy of the elbow THAT well, so I can't be terribly specific.

Any tips on helping me get back to shape?

Thanks!

could have been dislocated. I would recommend going and getting an exam & xray as soon as possible because you may need to have it reduced correctly. That's my professional opinion.

Oh, & keep it in position of function (elbow at 90degree angle)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
could have been dislocated. I would recommend going and getting an exam & xray as soon as possible because you may need to have it reduced correctly. That's my professional opinion.

Oh, & keep it in position of function (elbow at 90degree angle)

You need to get it checked today.

Good luck, and speedy recovery.
What they said. The longer you wait, the more likely it becomes that you will experience long-term problems. Go see a doctor ASAP.

OP
kenpo rusty

kenpo rusty

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Last night, I kept it at a 90 and iced it until I went to bed. This morning, I have much more mobility. Also got an ace bandage, so I'll have it in that. I must say, though....driving a manual car with a bum elbow hurts! yeowch!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Last night, I kept it at a 90 and iced it until I went to bed. This morning, I have much more mobility. Also got an ace bandage, so I'll have it in that. I must say, though....driving a manual car with a bum elbow hurts! yeowch!

Cool, man. Keep an eye on it & keep us posted.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Nope, but I am "DEFINITELY" in touch with my feminine side.

Sorry if my bedside manner offends. Spent too long dealing with broken Marines and dependants to shake it now.

Whoops, kenpo rusty is a lady, just referring your "Cool, man," comment.

Latest Discussions