Naming your Commercial School?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input, suggestions and talking points!

I'm leaning to using Kung Fu in the name, this way it is Martial Art Type specific, and it will lend the public to at least having an Idea of what it is.

i can specify the type in the marketing and website.

i'm thinking that having Martial Art(s) in the name may be too generic, which i can use to tag the web traffic and funnel to me - perhaps....

I think that's a good choice. I think people often use "martial arts" in their business name because either 1) they teach multiple styles, or 2) they teach a style that's not very famous or has a complex "foreign" name. If you put "Joe's Goju-ryu and Iaido" on your sign, most people aren't going to know what the heck your business even is - but if they see "Joe's Kung Fu", they'll immediate think of Bruce Lee kicking some dude in the face.

Now you have to think about the other part of the name. People often call their school "[town name] [martial arts style]" or "[owner name][martial arts style]", but you have other options.

For example, you could use a word associated with a positive character trait or value, in order to evoke the idea that training at your school will help you to do or be that, or that your school has that value or philosophy. Or an animal or thing that evokes those traits. Or, you could use a word associated with local landmarks or cultural things in your area, or themes that are associated with Wing Chun.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You should call it Super Secret Wving Tschun and trade mark it and call yourself a 32nd degree black belt and great grandmaster of the Jedi order. Oh and don't forget about uploading a curriculum to your website with the secret fourth form being included in the list of forms. Just kidding. I think "Savanah Academy of Gong Fu" sounds cool.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody has suggested to use the word "combat" yet. I like

- International Combat WC Academy
- America Combat WC Academy
- GA Combat WC Academy
- Savannah Combat WC Academy

You use the term WC. When people ask you what WC is, you can then explain to them. If they don't, it can be treated as a key word.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Society of Wingchun Gungfu Arts of Savannah.

Or

SWingGAS for short.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The name from the start should explain what you are offering. Most lay people have no idea what Wing Chun is, so I don't view it as important at all for inclusion. Perhaps something like Savannah School of Chinese Martial Arts? You might even switch out Savannah for the street name you are located at if it is a large commercial one.
I'd be cautious using the street name. If you ever move the school a few blocks, the name ceases to have meaning.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post.

To the OP: what will people come there looking for? (The right people - the ones you serve best.) For instance, if you have a self-defense focus, then something about that could be built into the name. If part of what you focus on is the traditions (as a means of building discipline and presence), then it might be helpful to have "traditional" in the name or tag line. Given that WC is not widely known (a bit more so, since the Yip Man film), many schools use "kung fu" in their school names, though I undertstand that's a horribly generic term that doesn't even mean as much as the term "martial art".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you think of a name for your school also think of the name of your website as well. The name for your physical school is going to be more flexible than the name for your website. For me personally I would never recommend not putting the location as part of the physical business name. If you build up a good brand and then find it more profitable to move to the next city over, then you won't be able to take the naming brand with you.

Do not include location as part of your website domain name because you may move locations, which means you would need to purchase a new domain if you decide to continue the school at a different location. Also make sure that the name fits well on a business card. Do a couple of markup designs on one of the sites that let you design your own business cards.

Make sure your name is something easy to remember and easy to spell. The name that you come up with may not be all that exciting but if it's easy to remember then it will be easier to market and talk about. I would drive around some of the larger martial arts schools and take note of how they use their name. The 4 common words used in martial arts school names are probably Academy, School, Institute, Center. So one of those would probably be good to include as part of your name.
To reinforce a point JGW is making, when you look at naming your school, search for available domain names that will work with the school name. My preference is to have the exact school name. If that name is long, I also like the idea of having an abbreviated version. So, if the school was Savannah Academy of Chinese Martial Arts (not a great name, but it makes the point), I'd want both SavannahAcademyOfChineseMartialArts.com and some shorter version like SavannahCMA.com, SavannahAcademy.com, or some such. There's also some reasonable argument to be made for picking up a domain that is marketing only, not related to the school name, like SavannahSelfDefense.com. Domains are inexpensive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a good choice. I think people often use "martial arts" in their business name because either 1) they teach multiple styles, or 2) they teach a style that's not very famous or has a complex "foreign" name. If you put "Joe's Goju-ryu and Iaido" on your sign, most people aren't going to know what the heck your business even is - but if they see "Joe's Kung Fu", they'll immediate think of Bruce Lee kicking some dude in the face.

Now you have to think about the other part of the name. People often call their school "[town name] [martial arts style]" or "[owner name][martial arts style]", but you have other options.

For example, you could use a word associated with a positive character trait or value, in order to evoke the idea that training at your school will help you to do or be that, or that your school has that value or philosophy. Or an animal or thing that evokes those traits. Or, you could use a word associated with local landmarks or cultural things in your area, or themes that are associated with Wing Chun.
"Joe's Goju-ryu and Iaido" would sound like an obscure sushi and sake shop to most folks. :p

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back in my 20s, a dojo-mate and I were contemplating some names for the style we were going to create. Perhaps I can pass them on to you. I know you're teaching a Chinese style, and my suggestions are Japanese, but so what; it's not like people off the street will know the difference...

Broken Bones do-kan
Blood and Teeth on the Ground Ryu
Subdural Hematoma Kai-Kan

And the one we thought would be best, but decided it would be way too long to put on a patch on a gi -

I'll walk into your house at 3 am after a night of drinking, sit at your dinner table and tell your wife to cook me breakfast, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it Do-Kan

That was a Ravishing Rick Rude quote. I toned down the language a little for proper forum decorum's sake. And I added the Do-Kan. Figured it would reflect the badassness of my prospective students.

You're welcome to use any of those if you wish :)

OP
Yuen Kay Jun

Yuen Kay Jun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You should call it Super Secret Wving Tschun and trade mark it and call yourself a 32nd degree black belt and great grandmaster of the Jedi order. Oh and don't forget about uploading a curriculum to your website with the secret fourth form being included in the list of forms. Just kidding. I think "Savanah Academy of Gong Fu" sounds cool.

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

OP
Yuen Kay Jun

Yuen Kay Jun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Thanks WaterGal! Good Feedback!

OP
Yuen Kay Jun

Yuen Kay Jun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nobody has suggested to use the word "combat" yet. I like

- International Combat WC Academy
- America Combat WC Academy
- GA Combat WC Academy
- Savannah Combat WC Academy

You use the term WC. When people ask you what WC is, you can then explain to them. If they don't, it can be treated as a key word.

I like the idea of using "Combat", it fits the mentality of what I teach. I always tell my students: "if you want to do forms and one-steps, go somewhere else; if you want to learn how to persevere and fight, then stay - WE ARE A FIGHT SCHOOL!"

OP
Yuen Kay Jun

Yuen Kay Jun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To reinforce a point JGW is making, when you look at naming your school, search for available domain names that will work with the school name. My preference is to have the exact school name. If that name is long, I also like the idea of having an abbreviated version. So, if the school was Savannah Academy of Chinese Martial Arts (not a great name, but it makes the point), I'd want both SavannahAcademyOfChineseMartialArts.com and some shorter version like SavannahCMA.com, SavannahAcademy.com, or some such. There's also some reasonable argument to be made for picking up a domain that is marketing only, not related to the school name, like SavannahSelfDefense.com. Domains are inexpensive.

Great Points everyone!! I've already reserved the domain names for a few, not knowing which I would use yet:

wingchunsavannah.com
savannahwingchun.com
kungfusavannah.com

Although we are NOT in Savannah city limits (a suburb) still applies. Will I use them all - who knows.... LOL

Probably will reserve another while I think of it.

OP
Yuen Kay Jun

Yuen Kay Jun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I really wanted to use Chinese Boxing Academy.... BUT, people would think its a boxing gym for Chinese descendants....

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
one thought on using the word Academy, if there is a private or public K-12 school called Savannah Academy you could be sued to change the name. it happened to someone i know in my city. he was New England Academy of self defense. the private elementary school New England Academy felt it could be confusing to people and the karate school had to change their name.

from my experience i would want my school name to reflect what the school is about, but be careful. how you see your school name may not be how others see it and to use the words like "combat" might turn people off, parents will not want to send their kids there.

Latest Discussions